Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized I already had it, heh! Sorry about that.

With all due respect, I think I may end up waiting for Retro Shield. I've got a system with 2GB of storage, and my understanding is that the installation has to be changed to fit in that space. I looked through the readme file for DaXryo's 2GB installation and it's not crystal clear to me what files have to be moved to the memory card.

This Flashback didn't cost me too much- they're selling them as salvage on ShopGoodwill- but nevertheless, there's no sense in ruining it. (I mean, ruining it more than AtGames already did with their crappy emulation.) I'll have to get by with either my Android TV or my hacked Xbox until Retro Shield arrives. Thanks.

Reactions: asper

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized I already had it, heh! Sorry about that.

With all due respect, I think I may end up waiting for Retro Shield. I've got a system with 2GB of storage, and my understanding is that the installation has to be changed to fit in that space. I looked through the readme file for DaXryo's 2GB installation and it's not crystal clear to me what files have to be moved to the memory card.

This Flashback didn't cost me too much- they're selling them as salvage on ShopGoodwill- but nevertheless, there's no sense in ruining it. (I mean, ruining it more than AtGames already did with their crappy emulation.) I'll have to get by with either my Android TV or my hacked Xbox until Retro Shield arrives. Thanks.
Yeah, with a 2GBs unit partitions must be resized; having not one (2 GBs model) prevents me about doing a specific 2GBs custom ROM (I do nt want to release something which is not tested).

Reactions: Excalibur007

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My On/off switch wires ripped away from the board. Should I try try soldering them back to the board? The switch does work and turn on and off the unit when I hold the wires in place. Currently powering through USB on board with cord going through cartridge slot but don't like that. Just don't want to do more harm then good

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
My On/off switch wires ripped away from the board. Should I try try soldering them back to the board? The switch does work and turn on and off the unit when I hold the wires in place. Currently powering through USB on board with cord going through cartridge slot but don't like that. Just don't want to do more harm then good

Hey,

Sure just remove it from electricity and resolder it in the right way. Shouldnt be any problem. Its better than just hold the wires in place and its definitly more safety for you and youre unit xD..

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

Sure just remove it from electricity and resolder it in the right way. Shouldnt be any problem. Its better than just hold the wires in place and its definitly more safety for you and youre unit xD..
Thanks for the encouragement. It worked perfectly. :)

Reactions: Hekel

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone who was working on alternatives to the built in front end and emulator seem to have vanished... :(
I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up about a hack for the Super Retrocade. It's better, no question, but there are still a few things about that system I'd like to change.

hossbags2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres a lot more :-D but at Moment i had to clean my Desktop.. but in about 10 minit i will provide a Video with my work in Progress.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This might be usefull for some of you: I made a Little script, it removes the stock games from the internal Flash. This gives us some freespace (about 60MB) for lets say.. xD better stuff..

No worry if you wanna reload them into the System theres a Re-Installer. Before the Games will be deleted from the System the scripts dump them to youre PC. Some Feedback would be welcome.

Do you have instructions on how to use your uninstaller?

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
Does anyone know how to access the box art files on this, would be greatly appreciated thanks.
My tool to remove the stock games dumps the boxarts. Then you can change what ever you want and restore it (maybe you wanna make a backup of the folder to completly restore the original boxarts later).

tguk611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My tool to remove the stock games dumps the boxarts. Then you can change what ever you want and restore it (maybe you wanna make a backup of the folder to completly restore the original boxarts later).
Thanks so much for the tool I also used the dashboard installer, and went through the entire thread and I hope your retro shield gets finished soon.

Reactions: Hekel

Nils

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi my people,

I came across an issue with the saving game feature of the Sega Mega Drive Flashback HD. It's very frustrating and I want to ask you for help:

After playing some of the pre-installed games and about 35 games on cartridges and using all of the 10 save game slots for each game, the saving function suddenly isn't working properly anymore. Now I can only save on existing slots, which I have already used before, but I can not save the game on unused "black" slots anymore.

I have also tried to switch the console on and off or save new games, which I didn't play before, but the saving function doesn't work at all on further games. So right now, it's impossible to save any new game or rather use any unused savegame slot.

Since it's impossible to delete game saves and only overwrite existing save slots, I can not save any new games. Neither pre-installed games, nor cartridge games. Have you already came across this issue or do you know of this happening to anyone? How can I solve this problem? Is there a possibility of clearing the cache memory or backup my game saves, so they won't get lost?

I'm not sure what the problem is, so I thought maybe there's not enough space on the console for saving that many game status, but it turned out there's about 2GB unused space on the console!
I have already opened the console, connected it to my PC and ran ADB but I couldn't find any path or info on game saves.
I have neither hacked, nor stocked any games. I have just used the console how I was supposed to. I have played the pre-installed games and cartridge games. Than suddenly someday I couldn't save anymore.
So I went online and found videos on how to connect the console to the PC. So I did just that to look up how much space is left on the console and if the game saves took all of the memory space.
After that I realized this wasn't the case because there is plenty of space left... so I'm stuck at this point right now... :-(

Do you have any ideas how I can get my console back to work and keep saving my games (without losing all of my prevouis saves)?

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi my people,

I came across an issue with the saving game feature of the Sega Mega Drive Flashback HD. It's very frustrating and I want to ask you for help:

After playing some of the pre-installed games and about 35 games on cartridges and using all of the 10 save game slots for each game, the saving function suddenly isn't working properly anymore. Now I can only save on existing slots, which I have already used before, but I can not save the game on unused "black" slots anymore.

I have also tried to switch the console on and off or save new games, which I didn't play before, but the saving function doesn't work at all on further games. So right now, it's impossible to save any new game or rather use any unused savegame slot.

Since it's impossible to delete game saves and only overwrite existing save slots, I can not save any new games. Neither pre-installed games, nor cartridge games. Have you already came across this issue or do you know of this happening to anyone? How can I solve this problem? Is there a possibility of clearing the cache memory or backup my game saves, so they won't get lost?

I'm not sure what the problem is, so I thought maybe there's not enough space on the console for saving that many game status, but it turned out there's about 2GB unused space on the console!
I have already opened the console, connected it to my PC and ran ADB but I couldn't find any path or info on game saves.
I have neither hacked, nor stocked any games. I have just used the console how I was supposed to. I have played the pre-installed games and cartridge games. Than suddenly someday I couldn't save anymore.
So I went online and found videos on how to connect the console to the PC. So I did just that to look up how much space is left on the console and if the game saves took all of the memory space.
After that I realized this wasn't the case because there is plenty of space left... so I'm stuck at this point right now... :-(

Do you have any ideas how I can get my console back to work and keep saving my games (without losing all of my prevouis saves)?

Hey There,

Well i didnt noticed any issues so far but this belongs to the reason i didnt played long with the Original Dashboard. This problem will definitly be solved with the retroshield upgrade. But about youre question. Its definitly possible to backup youre savegames. I can create a .bat file which dumps the save files and delete existing ones. A second .bat could be used to clear the .sav files and reupload the backuped ones. But the main question is do you really need so many .sav files?

Reactions: DarthDub and Nils

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hekel: Glad you're around. Was wondering what the progress is on Retro Shield, and when/where it will be available. Thanks.

Reactions: Nils

tguk611

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey There,

Well i didnt noticed any issues so far but this belongs to the reason i didnt played long with the Original Dashboard. This problem will definitly be solved with the retroshield upgrade. But about youre question. Its definitly possible to backup youre savegames. I can create a .bat file which dumps the save files and delete existing ones. A second .bat could be used to clear the .sav files and reupload the backuped ones. But the main question is do you really need so many .sav files?
If you can use the .sav files with other emulators I would also like a .bat that could dump them as well. I don't know why atgames didn't give a way to delete the save states but then again one look at the dashboard navigation and it becomes clear.

Also I was messing around with the main_noalpha.xml to change the menu names but I noticed that I could only change the name if it matches the exact number of characters so "Sonic Games" has to be 11 characters and I was wondering if there is a way to change this so I can go past the character count.

Reactions: Nils

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
If you can use the .sav files with other emulators I would also like a .bat that could dump them as well. I don't know why atgames didn't give a way to delete the save states but then again one look at the dashboard navigation and it becomes clear.

Also I was messing around with the main_noalpha.xml to change the menu names but I noticed that I could only change the name if it matches the exact number of characters so "Sonic Games" has to be 11 characters and I was wondering if there is a way to change this so I can go past the character count.

Well the main reason you have to use the same size of characters is cause youre hex editing the existing data. If you like to completly change the names and other stuff you would need to decompile the files. ATGames didnt made a great job in the dashboard.. its very bugy and unstable. We better not start to talk about the emulator itself xD... im pretty busy at moment cause im cleaning out my old stuff that is staying around.. but if i find the time i create a .bat for you.

Reactions: DarthDub and Nils

Nils

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey There,

Thanky for your quick reply, Hekel.

Since I've bought this console, I played so many games on it and really value my save game data, because it cost me so much time and effort to get to certain places in the games.
So I really would love to backup my save game data. :-)

Can you please tell me the exact commands, that I have to type in in ADB in order to copy or backup my save game data?
And then delete and restore it, just like you have explained before?

I have already pulled some data from the console using the command "adb pull /system" but still I couldn't find any save game data in any of the folders. :-(
It should be located in the "atgames" folder, I guess, but it isn't...

I'm also looking forward to the retroshield upgrade! ;)

HollywoodGravy

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can assist me. I have been adding many games to the system and editing the ini file accordingly. All works well, except the last two pages are inaccessible, the console freezes briefly and then goes back up to favourites. If though I go into the game description and go through them individually the games are accessible and playable. It doesn't matter how many games I add its always the last two pages that don't work. Anyone know why this might be?

Hekel

Modding is my passion!
Trophies
Website
www.evercade.net
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can assist me. I have been adding many games to the system and editing the ini file accordingly. All works well, except the last two pages are inaccessible, the console freezes briefly and then goes back up to favourites. If though I go into the game description and go through them individually the games are accessible and playable. It doesn't matter how many games I add its always the last two pages that don't work. Anyone know why this might be?

If you use the original dashboard its cause of cache overflow. Its not possible to fix this without rewrite the code. Youre better using the custom dashboard.

Regards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: ah ok