Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be clear and not mix terms; Being emulation isn't the problem, but the emulator it comes with being horrendous. As @Hekel already demonstrated, Retroarch+Picodrive core offers way better results with the same hardware. What I'm trying to criticize is offering BAD software on a hardware that's more than capable to emulate properly (Again, Nintendo is offering good quality emulation with its Minis while being cheaper on top of that).

I insist, Megadrive Flashback is unable to play its included games properly not because of emulation or the machine itself, but because of a poor choice when it comes to what emulator AT Games put on it.
In some cases it's not even the emulator that is the problem. In my example of shining force 2 freezing every time I cast a magic spell. Apparently putting a different shining force 2 ROM on the machine it runs perfectly fine. It seems the ROM included on the machine is bad as I have seen many others have experienced the same with this game. To me that's just pure laziness/sloppiness on the part of AT GAMES.

Last edited by Beetch18,
Reactions: Ulmez

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if there are performance differences between the 2gb and 4gb versions or do they both suffer from the same faults?

Menzo1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In some cases it's not even the emulator that is the problem. In my example of shining force 2 freezing every time I cast a magic spell I put a different shining force 2 ROM on the machine and it runs perfectly fine. It seems the ROM included on my machine is bad and I have seen many others have experienced the same with this game. To me that's just pure laziness/sloppiness on the part of AT GAMES.

i haven't play that game and i think i don't have that game on it/in the menu anymore to test it. but that's really lazy and then they didn't test the games properly. then they just did create a menu and throw some random roms from the internet on the system.

Reactions: Beetch18

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if there are performance differences between the 2gb and 4gb versions or do they both suffer from the same faults?
Hardware is the same, and same are the "core" emulators used (at least form the dump I saw); only the launcher seems to be different so I suppose performances are exactly the same.

Reactions: Beetch18

Beetch18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware is the same, and same are the "core" emulators used (at least form the dump I saw); only the launcher seems to be different so I suppose performances are exactly the same.
Thank you that makes sense. I'm not very technical so i wasn't sure. I read somewhere the "freezing"/ "crashing" could be a cache issue so I wasn't sure if having more memory the system would freeze less.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just found in a drawer an USB-LAN device... no drives for it, just like USB WiFi dongles. The only way to get internet access seems to be the Raspberry Pi method.

Reactions: Ulmez

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just found in a drawer an USB-LAN device... no drives for it, just like USB WiFi dongles. The only way to get internet access seems to be the Raspberry Pi method.
bummer, i dont mind hooking her up to my PC to do stuff, but wifi would have been nice ,

Toony11

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guy's,

I tried modding mine and bricked it I guess, as it only boots to the atgames splash screen. Does anyone know how to return it to it's original state, so i can be stupid and try again?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Vokuhila

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Guys,

I installed the firmware with RetroArch from Asper and now I can not remove Retroarch with the Unistall Batch. Always comes the message: Error device not found.
Anyone know what the problem is?

max0r4axor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to use the wireless kaypads without having the 3 atgames apks. If i remove the 3 atgames apks the wireless controllers stop working. i think it has something to do with the wireless controlers being attached to the GPIO and removing the apks unloads the libraries they use. didnt know if theres a work around. or can i just leave the atgames apks and remap the buttons. I dont plan on ever using the default emulator so i dont care if it breaks the buttons for it.

Last edited by max0r4axor,

mercenary96

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
RetroArch on the Genesis Flashback will use a different emulator for the games and have less freezing and performance issues, or is it the same?
I got one of these machines and already encountered several complete freezes (on original games and some that I added).

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RetroArch on the Genesis Flashback will use a different emulator for the games and have less freezing and performance issues, or is it the same?
I got one of these machines and already encountered several complete freezes (on original games and some that I added).
Retroarch picodrive and genesis plus gx cores are far better than the original emulator considering emulation performances.

Reactions: mercenary96

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, catch me up to speed on this. I've hacked my Flashback with the instructions on YouTube to play more games, but I want them to play better than they currently do. What are my options? I noticed that someone had released a nifty new interface for this system, but does it use a better emulator or just the default built into the Flashback? If I install any of these hacks, will I still have access to the cartridge port? Could the new emulators use the cartridge port? Finally, how can I get access to the hacks people have discussed in this thread?

Thanks in advance for your help.

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay guys, catch me up to speed on this. I've hacked my Flashback with the instructions on YouTube to play more games, but I want them to play better than they currently do. What are my options? I noticed that someone had released a nifty new interface for this system, but does it use a better emulator or just the default built into the Flashback? If I install any of these hacks, will I still have access to the cartridge port? Could the new emulators use the cartridge port? Finally, how can I get access to the hacks people have discussed in this thread?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 - best option is using retroarch;
2 - the nifty interface is not yet released by its author; the other interface you can find (SEGA Generations) is a very good Launcher able to manage the console "just like a smartphone" so you can open the original ATGames menu but also you can manage your console almost like a smarphone;
3 - yes, the cartridge port will always be accessible as soon as the ATGames menu is opened;
4 - if the ATGames menu is opened it will dump the cartridge slot so it can be used with any emulator (just browse the dump folder with the emulator internal browser - no emulator directly access the cartridge slot, they just load the dump done when the ATGames menu is opened)
5 - read the whole thread CAREFULLY; after that i suggest you to use my custom rom (it includes retroarch) together with SEGA Generations launcher but, again, read the whole thread CAREFULLY.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, do you have a link to your version of RetroArch? I kind of figured that it was included in Sega Generations... I guess I figured wrong!
Also, I had done ETAPrime's trick to add games to my system earlier. Will I need to undo that before I can proceed?

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, do you have a link to your version of RetroArch? I kind of figured that it was included in Sega Generations... I guess I figured wrong!
Also, I had done ETAPrime's trick to add games to my system earlier. Will I need to undo that before I can proceed?
If you "read the whole thread CAREFULLY" you will find the link you need; really, you NEED to read the whole thread to understand what you are doing (and also the included readme .txts inside my custom rom folders) ;)

No need to undo the process, with my custom rom all will be "restored" (more info in the thread and inside the above mentioned .txts).

Reactions: Hekel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt