PS1/2 "See? It's not hard to mod a PS2...."

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No... in fact, it was ball breaking difficult.

That's right, after 3 years, I finally managed to solder a PS2 modchip into my PS2. A Matrix Infinity in fact and considering my experience in soldering consisted of:

1. GC Viper Extreme
2. Saturn Modchip

I think I was surprised that I didn't make it blow up. That said, the PS2 I did the mod on belonged to my cousin who gave it to me and it was the bulky one and after installing the chip, it was quite picky about the media. The DVDs with the GO4 ink that could be read on my GC and my Slimline PS2 (with Swap Magic) didn't work but it could read the Verbatim brand discs. I'm wondering if this is to be expected and I should reburn the games onto verbatim or should Ihave chosen the DMS4 instead?

Nonetheless, celebrations are in order.

grog.gif
grog.gif
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice work Harsky, PS2's could easily be considered the hardest of the mainstream stuff you could do at present.

I find discs tend to vary from laser to laser as well.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible that adjusting the laser can help it read more media? I remember it helping on my Gamecube. Yeah, okay, the laser might die but I wouldn't mine shelling out for another replacement laser if it does.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Running into a huge problem and was wondering if anyone can at least suggest a solution. So I put on a PS2 disc. It works the first time so I decide to turn the console off and put on a different disc. Different disc doesn't work and comes up with a "not a valid PS2 disc" message. Nothing big I thought so I put the first disc that worked into the PS2 again to play.... then that too also came up with the, "not valid PS2 disc" message even though it was just working a few seconds ago. I don't want to bother opening up my PS2 again since I literally taped down all the points with electrical tapes last time I opened it. Any help?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, it has gotten to the point where it wouldn't even load up the PS2 Isos at all on my V7 PS2 so I decided to remove the chip and transfer it to my slimline PS2. After several hours I managed to transfer it but it's still giving me the same problems. I know the chip isn't broken since it boots up the Matrix Infinity logo okay but it's still not booting my PS2 backups

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I had recently tried burning a few games at 4x (because the burner I used wouldn't go any lower) and had loading problems with both. About half the time, they wouldn't even start up, giving me that same message. Then I re-burned them on my other burner at 2x and they worked fine after that.
The games were FFXII and GTA:LCS. Everything else I've burned, I've burned at 2x.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Anyway. I'm playing Dragon Ball Adventures from GBA.
    I got stuck in some part.
    Anyone played that game?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Only one I played was the DBZ trading card game game on the GBA
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sparking zero is looking pretty good but not $70 good
    okay
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    isn't sparking zero supposed to be accurate to their canon power too?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    meaning unlike dbfz a weaker character like nappa wouldn't stand a chance against someone stronger like broly
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    aaalllright then, i guess i should hit the hay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People are complaining about flying in it I'm like wut that's half of what it is
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprise surprise, @HiradeGirl is back today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright @SylverReZ you win, lets go double or nothing.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    good morning
    +2
  • O @ Olqase93:
    Hi, I need help whit my r4 r4itt new please
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    🛌 Shhhhhhh
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    homebrew your DSi and forgo the flashcard with NDS bootstrap or something along those lines
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    it allows utilisation of the SD card for ROM storage
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Get a 3DS and do the same 🥰
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. Just get a 3rd [3000 series] gen PSP.
    +2
    I like PSP on my Pi lol
    Gameboy Advanced SP emulator or GASP for short lol
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Finally got an appointment with an ENT, but it's not for another month. It's already been 4- days of loud ringing in my left ear, substantial pain on left side of my neck and left side on the back of my head. Doctors here at the regular clinic put me on a couple different meds for a month that did absolutely nothing, then they told me there's nothing more they can do for me despite being in pain and my ear sounding like im underwater and ringing.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Then three chiropractor appointments which also didn't help at all so i didn't go to the 4th. Been trying to get ahold of this ENT clinic out of town for a week and finally got an appointment set up. But its not til the 17th of July so I have to suffer all this shit for nearly another month.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Then three chiropractor appointments which also didn't help at all so i didn't go to the 4th...