Hacking sdhc, and slot 2 devices

IMonCRACK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the supercard ds one v3 sdhc does support 8 gig micro sd correct? i heard somewhere that the sdhc only supports up to 4. my other question is, which slot 2 device should i get with this, i want gba games. all i really want slot 2 for is gba, and an extra microsd slot, but alot dont have the sd slot (well not that i see), but wut else is slot 2 used for if your using a slot1 flash cart??

gamadaya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll reply, but don't just take my word for it, because I'm a noob. The HC in SDHC stands for high capacity, so I do think it supports 8 gig microSDs. Also, for a slot 2 device, I've heard good things about the EZ Flash 3-in-1, and I'm thinking of getting it myself, but I think it only fits in DS lites.

mysticdrake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so first off, while SDHC has different addressing protocols than the SD format, all sizes of SDHC use the same protocol (sector addressing instead of Byte addressing). Therefore, theoretically, you should be able to even use the 16 Gb microSD that just came out a couple weeks ago and it will work on the SuperCard DS IF AND ONLY IF you get V3. If you get V1 or V2, then you're stuck with a 2 Gb max as they are not SDHC compatible. (You can tell the difference because V3 has a white shell while V1 and V2 have black ones).

About the Slot 2. The EZ Flash 3 in 1 doesn't have a MicroSD slot. It contains rumble PSRAM and NOR Memory. This product is basically used as an extension of a Slot-1 cart's applications. You can use it to play GBA games off a slot 1 card, use it for select homebrew that require more memory and even as DS Opera's Expansion Ram.

If you want a Slot 2 card with a microSD slot, a Supercard Lite is compatible with the DS1 without extra homebrew software. However, from what I've read, the GBA compability is better playing it directly from Slot 2. Supercard lite is also known to have lag on some GBA games too. If you get one, make sure to get one WITHOUT rumble as the rumble versions don't have enough ram to run GBA games very well at all.

Apart from that you can use the M3 Perfect or EZ Flash IV Lite Deluxe (the deluxe is better than compact or lite). All three of these have a microSD slot, but are not SDHC compatible, so it maxes out at 2 Gb. You need to use Rudolph's GBAXploder or similar homebrew to link the two carts. (With Rudolph's homebrew, you don't need to patch the games, but if you play directly from teh slot -2, you need to patch the games with corresponding software).

Both the Supercard lite and the M3 Perfect have GBA in game functions too. (RTS, Cheats, etc).

As for what Slot 2 is used for? Apart from GBA games, there are homebrew (like DS Linux or emulators) which utilize the extra ram, you can flash your DS and then be able to play NDS games directly from slot 2 without a passme. Then if you play multiplayer with friends and they don't have the particular game, you could lend them the slot 1 and multiplay with the slot 2 (MarioKart DS comes to mind if you want to play all the tracks). While not a spectacular list, there are some uses to having a slot-2 card.

It's prob best that you go do some research and read some reviews yourself before making any decisions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty no i mean i had to go in the shitbox