Hardware SD UHS-1 compatible and worth it?

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm shopping for a larger SD (or rather SDXC) card right now and am probably getting a 64GB model (good price-value imo).

However, does anyone know if the 3DS is capable of UHS-1 technology? For those that don't know:
Normally, you get Class 1 through 10 with SD cards (and their smaller brothers), which basically define a minimum read and write speed.
However, standard SD technology only allows transfer speeds of about ~20MB/s...

They recently introduced some "tweak" called UHS (higher bus frequency), enabling up to 100MB/s or so. However, only readers capable of UHS access can use such transfer speeds beyond that. If UHS is not available on the reader or card, one will be stuck with Class 10 or so. Its comparable to using USB2.0 port with a USB 3.0 device :)

So, does anyone know if the 3DS supports UHS-1 or if Class 10 is all it can do? UHS-1 is like an extra 10 bucks for the same capacity after all...

P.S. I'm also buying this with future homebrew in mind, 3D movies and other stuff, once we get an open system. Faster is usually better :)

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just got a response from Nintendo of Europe:
"UHS- oder SDX-Karten (sic) werden vom Nintendo 3DS nicht unterstützt. Wir gehen auch nicht davon aus, dass dies noch geändert wird."
"UHS or SDXC cards are not supported. We doubt that this will change in the foreseeable future"

I somewhat doubt that SDXC will be an issue, as the technology for storage is the same as for SDHC, and those are supported. Difference between those, is merely the maximum capacity as defined in their specifications. I will test a 64GB SDXC card later on my 3DS and confirm it. That will be only temporary though, as that ones is to be used in my DSLR :)

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Okay, I was using a Transcend Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC 600x 64GB Card and it worked .
Playing around with the formatting, I discovered that the 3DS freezes for quite a while when using a very small cluster size (e.g. clustersize = 1 sector).
A clustersize of 32 sectors got me 487648 open blocks. Nintendo defines 1 block as 128KiB, giving me a little less than the promised 64GB or 59.53GiB.

So, in conclusion:
I dunno which clustersize is fastest, nor how much it affects games and such (near to impossible to measure accurately), but 64GB and even larger cards should work. I'm going for a a 64KiB Cluster size (128 sectors) for now!

Getting UHS-1 is probably pointless, so a Class 10 card should be plenty!

EDIT:
Just bought a SaveTec 64GB UHS-1 CLASS 10 SDXC. Might as well call it a noname card (never heard of them before lol). Aaaanyway: The card itself is very speedy with a USB 3.0 reader (80MB/s read, 32MB/s written) and passes h2testw flawlessly. And costing merely 24€, this was a bargain. Let's hope it'll work till the end of my 3DS' lifespan :)

P.S. yeah, that card also works flawlessly in a 3DS! :D

Breadwin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I was using a Transcend Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC 600x 64GB Card and it worked .
Playing around with the formatting, I discovered that the 3DS freezes for quite a while when using a very small cluster size (e.g. clustersize = 1 sector).
A clustersize of 32 sectors got me 487648 open blocks. Nintendo defines 1 block as 128KiB, giving me a little less than the promised 64GB or 59.53GiB.

So, in conclusion:
I dunno which clustersize is fastest, nor how much it affects games and such (near to impossible to measure accurately), but 64GB and even larger cards should work. I'm going for a a 64KiB Cluster size (128 sectors) for now!

EDIT:
Just bought a SaveTec 64GB UHS-1 CLASS 10 SDXC. Might as well call it a noname card (never heard of them before lol). Aaaanyway: The card itself is very speedy with a USB 3.0 reader (80MB/s read, 32MB/s written) and passes h2testw flawlessly. And costing merely 24€, this was a bargain. Let's hope it'll work till the end of my 3DS' lifespan :)

where did you buy the card?

Öhr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
where did you buy the card?
Amazon.de:http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00EO7ABWM/

cWmdYp2.png

P.S. the previous benchmark i quoted was based on someone elses numbers. the image above is my benchmark!

miamore

Trophies
XP
Country
France

So, in conclusion:

EDIT:

at 32kb cluster size the open blocks were 487648.. did you now have any problems with this cluster size? and how about the open blocks when formatted to 64kb cluster size?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)