Hacking Screen remains black after RCM payload injection

gwisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've searched all over and haven't found any solution to this so I'm posting hoping someone can help:

Brand new switch, 4.1.0 fw, not updated.
32gb samsung microsd.
Official usb-c to usb-a cable.
Official usb-c to usb-c cable.
Obtaining RCM from a grounding wire to pin 10.

All the programs I've used show that the payload was injected fine, but nothing has happened on the switch, it just remains black, with a success message from the pc.

I've tried Reinx and hekate's payload bins, a couple of versions I could find for each.
I have tried TegraRcmSmash, TegraRcmGUI, the python release fusee-launcher.
I have used both usb-c to usb-c, and the usb-a cables, in different ports.
I have tried booting from linux where it would only allow me to inject with the usb-a cable.
I have deleted the drivers and installed them again in zadig, everything shows up as it should APX etc.

Is there any reason the programs would think it was a success but the switch is somehow immune to it or what am I missing here?

Last edited by gwisawesome,
Reactions: AnClark

gwisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh no :( i misunderstood i saw a post saying mako(?) units were expected but not released yet, and this still has fw 4.1
my serial is: XAW10084378xxxx

well, at least i'm well versed on how to do everything now as soon as i find an older switch

snarkyerica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The new units are not Mariko. They are simply the old switch, with a new version of the bootloader burned in at the factory, which has been patched against Fusée Gelée. SciresM has mentioned something about a new bug called Deja Vu that potentially opens up an exploit chain on 4.1.0, so do not update this Switch yet.

chippy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The updated efuse ones are 857 from this thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-informations-by-serial-number.481215/ yours is 843 so should be under the new fixed units

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actully people report any over 809 are fixed. So you have a fixed switch. Dont update it as a 4.1 exploit hasn't be released yet but fixed in 5.1

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just return it and grab another Switch. Having rcm exploit access means complete freedom over it no matter the firmware.

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I've searched all over and haven't found any solution to this so I'm posting hoping someone can help:

Brand new switch, 4.1.0 fw, not updated.
32gb samsung microsd.
Official usb-c to usb-a cable.
Official usb-c to usb-c cable.
Obtaining RCM from a grounding wire to pin 10.

All the programs I've used show that the payload was injected fine, but nothing has happened on the switch, it just remains black, with a success message from the pc.

I've tried Reinx and hekate's payload bins, a couple of versions I could find for each.
I have tried TegraRcmSmash, TegraRcmGUI, the python release fusee-launcher.
I have used both usb-c to usb-c, and the usb-a cables, in different ports.
I have tried booting from linux where it would only allow me to inject with the usb-a cable.
I have deleted the drivers and installed them again in zadig, everything shows up as it should APX etc.

Is there any reason the programs would think it was a success but the switch is somehow immune to it or what am I missing here?

i had this issue on old rcm able switch ya know what i tried remove sd card dude see if u get into bootloader

If u do then reformat and put fresh files back on sd ive been there .. also a restart of pc helped as well as tegra was bugging out But like i said for test pupose try hekate 3.2 bin in tegra without sd card in :)

If not then its possible you got a exploit patched Switch

Have you had any success getting into bootloader before ?

Last edited by Canna,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Aren't the ipatched versions incapable of reaching RCM? If you can get RCM to load a payload doesn't that mean it's not ipatched? Seems like something else going on like fake SD??

EDIT: Seems they just patched FG but can still use RCM.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

gwisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried with sd in exfat, fat32, and no sd at all- the switch just remains black no activity despite all the various payloads and inject applications saying it was a success.

region is USA and the rest of the info i posted above ^^
i'll swap it out today or tomorrow for a lower serial if i can find one easily and try the same methods i did above and then i'll know for sure this switch was patched from factory.

i will try to avoid any serials in the 800s+ as from all the anecdotes i've read they definitely started patching in this range but not all of them, just luck of the draw at that point?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This will tell you whether you have a patched unit or not: https://gbatemp.net/threads/a-defin...atched-or-not-purchases-after-07-2018.512018/
As for avoiding patched units, stay as far away as possible from the confirmed patched serial numbers. It is indeed luck-based, but the farther away you are, the less likely the unit is patched.
LOL all he is doing in that post is injecting a payload and seeing if it runs. That's like saying if you want to unlock a door, use the key. Or if you want to drink a bottle of water, take the cap off first. I mean, duh?

Also you can use Hekate without an sd.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL all he is doing in that post is injecting a payload and seeing if it runs. That's like saying if you want to unlock a door, use the key. Or if you want to drink a bottle of water, take the cap off first. I mean, duh?

Also you can use Hekate without an sd.
It has the command line setup so you can see 0 bytes being smashed because patched units cannot be smash stacked. Otherwise, you don't know if its not accepting the payload because your console is patched or if your computer is not set up properly. Its more foolproof to say the least.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It has the command line setup so you can see 0 bytes being smashed because patched units cannot be smash stacked. Otherwise, you don't know if its not accepting the payload because your console is patched or if your computer is not set up properly. Its more foolproof to say the least.
I'm not saying it's a bad way, I'm just saying that's its the first thing someone would usually do anyway. I guess if you are using the TX dongle you would not know, but I don't have the dongle so I tend to not think about them.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying it's a bad way, I'm just saying that's its the first thing someone would usually do anyway. I guess if you are using the TX dongle you would not know, but I don't have the dongle so I tend to not think about them.
I think you're overestimating the abilities of other people. Some people may rush sending the payload thinking its patched but then realize they overlooked something that would be obvious to the rest of us but not to them. It'd be nice if we had something that would flash in big bold red letters "PATCHED" so its noob-proof. Although I like the dongle idea, its behind a $40 paywall unfortunately.

RadChad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's probably be worth it to try injecting the payload from another computer if your serial indicates that your switch shouldn't be one of the patched ones. With my switch, I had injected payloads successfully a few months ago via my desktop, then came back to do it again after like a month, and I would get a message indicating that the payload was injected successfully but the switch screen stayed black. Tried forever to figure out what was wrong, never did though. Ended up trying on my laptop and the payload booted right up. Could be having the same issue I have with my desktop.

Mr. Wizard

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's probably be worth it to try injecting the payload from another computer if your serial indicates that your switch shouldn't be one of the patched ones. With my switch, I had injected payloads successfully a few months ago via my desktop, then came back to do it again after like a month, and I would get a message indicating that the payload was injected successfully but the switch screen stayed black. Tried forever to figure out what was wrong, never did though. Ended up trying on my laptop and the payload booted right up. Could be having the same issue I have with my desktop.
About 1% of my injections from PC have resulted in black screen or a bright green screen trying to load sxos.
Who knows why...

Same thing use to happen on my 3DS using gateway, sometimes I would just get a nice colorful frozen screen.

gwisawesome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried a bunch of the grey switches at target because he said they sold much worse, all were serial 1008xxx

tried a neon just to see, and the first one was 1006xxx.. took it out of the home and had it playing homebrew within 10 minutes :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy