Hacking Scratched disk vs Usb loader gx

homebr00b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I unknowingly put a scratched, unplayable disk of Super Mario Galaxy into Usb Loader Gx and installed the wbfs. Because the disk is scratched to the point of being playable up until the final boss battle with Bowser playing as Luigi but nowhere after that, i cant beat the final boss which is mildly infuriating. Is my best bet to just buy another copy of SMG? If I do need to buy another, how would I go about reinstalling the wbfs correctly without "overlapping" the current wbfs of SMG? I was thinking of just deleting the folder and therefore wbfs, but I wasn't sure if I would have to find new covers or anything. Any advice is appreciated, Thanks

homebr00b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe try google for the iso and convert to wbfs with wbfs manager ?
I downloaded a wbfs of it, and my only concern is that my original one is slightly larger than the one I downloaded. It's probably nothing, but I'm just a little paranoid.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the cover, savegame and settings are not stored with the wbfs file, so you can overwrite/delete it without any risk of losing your current progress or covers.
be sure to replace it with a game of the same region (EUR/US) or the titleID will be different and you'll not have your previous data loaded at all.

You can try to re-dump your disc before buying a new one.
keep your current wbfs file as backup (you can at least play the game, except the last boss)

so, dump your disc again and check its integrity with WiiBackupManager on your computer.
select the game > game Option > sha1
if it's green, your game is good ! no scratch anymore.

if it always comes red, or you can't dump it anymore, you'll have to get a new game.

Just a thing I find weird : a scratch usually doesn't affect a particular fight, but often a loaded resource (video, sound, ending credit, etc.)
I don't think the game is loading different asset if you play as luigi instead of mario. If you could complete the game with mario, it should also work when playing as luigi. Of course, unless playing as luigi loads a different music, or video?
verify your game to see if it's really corrupted, maybe it's a bug more than a scratch?

Last edited by Cyan,

homebr00b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the cover, savegame and settings are not stored with the wbfs file, so you can overwrite/delete it without any risk of losing your current progress or covers.
be sure to replace it with a game of the same region (EUR/US) or the titleID will be different and you'll not have your previous data loaded at all.

You can try to re-dump your disc before buying a new one.
keep your current wbfs file as backup (you can at least play the game, except the last boss)

so, dump your disc again and check its integrity with WiiBackupManager on your computer.
select the game > game Option > sha1
if it's green, your game is good ! no scratch anymore.

if it always comes red, or you can't dump it anymore, you'll have to get a new game.

Just a thing I find weird : a scratch usually doesn't affect a particular fight, but often a loaded resource (video, sound, ending credit, etc.)
I don't think the game is loading different asset if you play as luigi instead of mario. If you could complete the game with mario, it should also work when playing as luigi. Of course, unless playing as luigi loads a different music, or video?
verify your game to see if it's really corrupted, maybe it's a bug more than a scratch?

It does freeze during a cutscene or video, and I think I did everything you said, unless i was supposed to "export" the checked wbfs or something. It still freezes even though WBM showed a completely green bar. I've attached images of what happens when I play it through disk and what happens when i play through a loader. The second image is for the loader,and stops at the same place the disk version does. Also, I'm probably uploading images incorrectly, because when I preview this I apparently don't have permission to view the images, so if that's the case please let me know (Fixed it I think)
IMG_7131.png IMG_7132.png Screenshot (1).png

Last edited by homebr00b,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if WBM detected no error, it means the problem is not your ISO. all files have a checksum value to verify if the file is good or bad. If a single file was bad then WBM would mark it red, not green.

When playing from disc, it could be the disc reader (laser, dust, etc.)
but if you have the same error when playing from a loader it's strange. you dumped the game yourself? you didn't edit or apply any patches to it? (generally using WiiScrubber)

If it's not hardware failure (uncommon that the hardware happen always at the same location in the game), it could be a setting.
Do you have cheats/ocarina enabled?
which cIOS base/version are you using? (some games crashes if using a wrong base, for example Arc rise Fantasia needed base56 and froze with base38, when entering a specific battle later in the game).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof