Scientists Find Protein That Blocks HIV, Ebola, and More

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    For all our advances in medicine, viruses continue to plague us. Vaccines certainly give us a boost, but they only go so far; some viruses have proven to be difficult, if not downright impossible, to vaccinate against.

If you want a healthy population, this is going to be a pretty big problem.

Luckily, it appears that scientists have just made something of a breakthrough - one that may turn the tide in our favor.

[​IMG] Sci-News

(Not to be confused with Psy-News, a new site based around the popular Korean pop singer, or Sigh-News, a collection of depressing news stories. Of course.)

It's one hell of a protein bro-team.

Scientists are learning more and more about how our cells actually function, and a discovery like this is a pretty big deal. The more we know about our body and how it functions, the more we can do to actually fix things when things stop working.

Now, we should be clear that this is not a cure yet. However, this discovery is pretty big, and could possibly lead to developments that might produce treatments somewhere down the line.

You know, maybe.

Still, this is a mighty important first step. We can't be sure of anything yet, of course, but with discoveries like this, at least we can be optimistic.

Uh, oh yeah, pun quota. Um... something something One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest something something HIV For Vendetta something something E-bro-la! something something This is so cool, it's sick!

Alright, that should do it.

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Bros don't let other bros get sick yo.

(This is good news, but I'll wait until I hear breakthroughs rather than just discoveries.)

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Usual yay science.

I wonder what the anti vaccination cretins will make of this.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I always had a good feeling about cholesterol, I organize my diet around it. :P

Uhm... "It permeates cell walls so love can't get through anymore which is bad"? Or the usual nonsense? :tpi:

Costello likes this.
  5. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Like "Yer tampering with nature, derr herr herr derp!" right? I should show my brother this information, he'd go nuts over this, being a Microbiology major and working towards his PHd and all:P

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am probably going to go with "haha vindication at last that the pharmacology industry big pharma has been trying to screw us all by making all their money preventing diseases".

7. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I have no problem at all with the idea of vaccinations. I do have a problem with a lot of the shit included in the actual vaccines though. But I also don't take aspirin, anti-inflammatories, or any other prescription or over-the-counter medications...because I'm a cretin...

EZ-Megaman, Cyan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    the more we know, the more we know that we don't know
    I can't understand why after reading so many science threads by Gahars, he is known to be a pun master than an intelligent poster

9. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    That's why sometimes ignorance is bliss. XD Just like why it's better for us to not know what the hell KFC and other fast food chains put in their food.

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    scientists need to get a cure for cancer, too many people are dying from the disease every day, I hope one day we can get a cure for it, it's a horrible disease.

11. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    "shit included in the actual vaccines though"
    Do elaborate, I am aware of certain binding agents causing issues in people with certain diseases but that is always going to be the case (well this side of a total understanding of human biology and manufacturing capabilities to do something with said knowledge). Otherwise letting stuff slide that has serious negative effects would seem to be a rather large failing on the part of the organisations tasked with the oversight of medicine.
    "But I also don't take [anything else]"
    Now I am certainly not going to sit here and say medicines are not overused in many cases (see MRSA) and there are seldom cases of true medical stupidity (panic buying of iodine) but ignoring medicine entirely does rather fit my definition of cretinous behaviour.
    Also choice link
    http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/botany/botany_map/articles/article_04.html

Trouble is cancer is not one disease, each type often has a variety of causes, different people have a variety of risk factors inherited, generated and otherwise and you also have the issue of detection.

12. wrettcaughn

United States
    The bolded portion is my main problem with many vaccines... When are most vaccines administered? Infancy. How many of these "certain diseases" aren't discovered until well into infancy? How about the flu vaccine recalls of the past fews seasons? The MMR vaccine recall last year? The CDC did a study to ascertain whether thimerosal (which contains mercury) in vaccines increased the chances of autism in children... Their sample consisted of 1008 people. Is 1008 people really indicative of the reactions of hundreds of millions? Can you really sample 0.000001% of a population and consider the results legitimate? Now, also keep in mind that they filtered out all children who carried any trait at all that could lead to autism. Finally, consider that as of July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure (though it's still used today...).

As far as ignoring medicine entirely...I most certainly don't. However, medicine is not my first choice in maintaining health.

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    definitely nothing to sneeze at!

14. the_randomizer

United States
    But if you're not exposed to certain bacteria and viruses early on and don't develop the antibodies, you're pretty much SOL later on.

15. wrettcaughn

United States
    You realize the main things we're vaccinating for died out years ago, right? Also, the MMR vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting measles/mumps/pox nor does the flu vaccine actually prevent you from getting the flu... There's also no reason at all why we need to be pumping 15 or more vaccines into infants...

16. Wolvenreign

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    Now, while I don't think anyone here is particularly guilty of this, I do feel it would be a good idea to link this article.

Gahars likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

United States
    *Sigh* No sense in trying to explain why people need to be vaccinations.
    [​IMG]

18. wrettcaughn

United States
    For all the claims that the "anti-vaxxers" have no concrete evidence that vaccines have the potential to harm, the "pro-vaxxers" have no concrete evidence that they don't... Also, it's in a wiki so it must be true.

Hey, cool pic bro! It's more and more original every single time I see it posted on this forum!

the_randomizer likes this.
  19. the_randomizer

United States
    Glad you like it! :P I'll be sure to post even more redundant pictures!

20. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The fact that those in the Anti-Vaccination Movement can't get evidence despite the widespread use of vaccinations for decades now is pretty persuasive. The burden of proof lies with them in this case, and they've failed to deliver time and time again (or when they do deliver, it's complete and total bunk).

The fact that the vaccines are in use, on the other hand, is pretty strong evidence that they're safe - vaccines are subject to extremely strict, closely monitored FDA testing. If there was a serious a serious threat, don't you think they (or a foreign equivalent) would've picked up on it after decades upon decades of study?

In the meantime, they spread hysteria over something with their unsubstantiated claims. We're seeing ailments previously thought to be dead (like whooping cough, for God's sake) on the rise again because people buy into the movement. People are getting sick and, in some cases, dying because of this; that is completely unacceptable.

(As for your "It's a wiki, so it must be true" bit - you do realize that their claims are all cited from legitimate sources, right? That you could read up on? They're pretty damn strict about that.)

21. the_randomizer
    This message by the_randomizer has been removed from public view by Densetsu, Feb 19, 2013, Reason: Use logic and reason against opinions that differ from yours, don't resort to name-calling..
    Feb 18, 2013