• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

School shooting @ Great Mills Md high school today

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody did help. I told my mother, I told my father. My mother did voice the problem. But I wasn't heard. And, stay strong? stay strong after being bullied for over 6 years. 6 years of school, being bullied. Do you have any idea what my own self esteem is like? Very fucking low. So godamn low, that I don't even think sucided is a option because it's as pointless as everything else. Being bullied, for years on end, you are not yourself. It wasn't a conscious choice for me to hit her. It was a primal one. I was so fucking pissed. To stay strong when over a 30 different people group up on you. It isn't just 1 person. It's a group job. each group having about 20 to 30 people. And they ganged up on more than just me. 2 other people they would gang up on. Do you understand how it feels to go insane. To constantly be talking to a brick wall, trying every single option, and doing every single option over and over until you reach the point you make a choice that you genuinely hate. After I hit her, I cried. I was upset, mad at myself, and mad at everything. I still suffer nightmares because of them. I still have nightmares of being in that school and seeing them. Bullying doesn't just hurt someone emotionally. It leaves a scare that doesn't and never feels like it's going to ever heal. I have panic attacks. Every now and then I feel like shit and this feeling is rooted into my fucking chest. I cry and stress out for no reason. Bullying has long lasting effects on the individual. I could be in a conversation with someone and I suddenly start crying and have no control over it even when I know I shouldn't be crying. It could be a subject completely unrelvent to school.
Well, really really sorry if i said something wrong or that hurted you, seriously, im sorry. And i pretty much know how a huge pain living can be, i know how feeling like absolute shit can be, i know how bad your self esteem can get and be, and even if i didnt get bullied on school, other experiences can result in pretty much a similar situation than yours... so, in short words, im really sorry.

People can be absolute assholes, why there exist people like that is beyond me, hating on everything, hurting others, making fun of what is different... this is why society itself is going downhill.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,
D

Deleted User

Well, really really sorry if i said something wrong or that hurted you, seriously, im sorry. And i pretty much know how a huge pain living can be, i know how feeling like absolute shit can be, i know how bad your self esteem can get and be, and even if i didnt get bullied on school, other experiences can result in pretty much a similar situation than yours... so, in short words, im really sorry.

People can be absolute assholes, why there exist people like that is beyond me, hating on everything, hurting others, making fun of what is different... this is why society itself is going downhill.
I honestly don't know if you can relate. It's one of those things that, you have to experience to understand it. And I'm not mad at you. And I do apologize for coming off that way. I was more trying to make a point. That, it stays with you. It's a never resolved conflict that is stuck with you forever. And if you do some research about bullying, it may be able to further communicate what I'm trying to get at. (not saying you know nothing and/or not intended as a insult.)

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know if you can relate. It's one of those things that, you have to experience to understand it. And I'm not mad at you. And I do apologize for coming off that way. I was more trying to make a point. That, it stays with you. It's a never resolved conflict that is stuck with you forever. And if you do some research about bullying, it may be able to further communicate what I'm trying to get at. (not saying you know nothing and/or not intended as a insult.)
It's okay. So sorry again for touching that topic...

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Historically, Europe is a lot more violent then the US.
Roman Empire, British Empire, Dutch traders, slave trading, Spanish sailors (although they weren't as bad as the Dutch traders) WW1 and WW2...

US pretty much only has the genocide on the Native Americans and if you want to add to it, the civil war.
Yes foreign wars can also be counted but then I'd have to revise the list that Europe did.

Yes. Historically.
But we're talking about today's era, which is all that really matters for the current issue.

And today, America is more violent, factually, while Europe cultures have become "wiser" (on this topic) and all European countries are pretty much on a common agreement about firearms.
So, in a way, maybe Americans should listen to their elders. You saw what happened in Europe due to an excess of violence and racism. Don't make the same mistakes.

I've had some interesting debates when moving to the US with Americans criticizing Europe because the people there aren't "free" to own guns, their "right" to own guns isn't respected. What they don't understand is that for the large majority of them, they totally accept that without a second though, and are happy about it.

Also I will totally agree that mental issues and general happiness of the population is also to blame. Hardcore capitalism isn't without consequences. When you don't give any safety net, some people end up screwed in life. Free access to school and health care are absolutely necessary to reduce inequalities.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Was a tough decision on whether to make a new thread or not, instead I figured I'd bump this one since it's already a similar discussion. There was a school shooting today in a Santa Fe, Texas high school. Ten are left dead and ten are wounded.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44173954

Sadly, this also means 2018 thus far has been deadlier for students than service members, according to a Washington Post report:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-than-service-members/?utm_term=.a12e46cf8878

Last edited by Xzi,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Was a tough decision on whether to make a new thread or not, instead I figured I'd bump this one since it's already a similar discussion. There was a school shooting today in a Santa Fe, Texas high school. Ten are left dead and ten are wounded.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44173954

Sadly, this also means 2018 thus far has been deadlier for students than service members, according to a Washington Post report:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-than-service-members/?utm_term=.a12e46cf8878
So.

Will people still defend guns?

I know they will. But for God's sake, don't say guns aren't part of the problem. They are.

I wish none the suffering of dying this way, nor the suffering of losing a beloved friend or family member this way. I pray for the families of those who lost their lives today because of this cowardly act.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.

Will people still defend guns?

I know they will. But for God's sake, don't say guns aren't part of the problem. They are.

I wish none the suffering of dying this way, nor the suffering of losing a beloved friend or family member this way. I pray for the families of those who lost their lives today because of this cowardly act.

Guns are just inanimate objects, there's nothing to defend.

The right to lawfully defend myself, my wife, my kids against a physically or numerically superior, unlawful aggressor? That I'll defend.

Anyway, we probably won't hear much more than some general whining from the gun control lobby this time. Certainly nothing about how to secure schools any better or monitor/profile teens for mental instability and/or potential for violence - they're not even interested in that discussion. The shooter at Parkland had law enforcement called on him dozens of times, but instead of segregating him from the general school population and looking into his fucked-up head, they referred him to a 'special' program that purposely avoids prosecuting juveniles for crimes. This kid who did the shooting today in Texas was posting weapons photos and threats online, going to school wearing a "Born To Kill" shirt and a coat covered with Communist, Nazi, and satanic(?) medallions. Perfectly normal. Nothing to see here. I will not be surprised if it comes out he flew many more warning signs in peoples' faces before actually snapping today.

I said we probably won't hear much more about this one because he killed his classmates using boring, definitely non-assault weapons, a shotgun and a .38 revolver. Guns that have been around, virtually unchanged, since before WWI. Guns that the gun control lobby doesn't want to talk about, because it'll hit home with too many everyday gun owners and hunters. Heck, even Joe Biden told us to get a shotgun. Bump stocks played no role. Nor 'hi-capacity' magazines. No bayonet lugs were involved. So it'll go quiet, probably soon. The gun control lobby only gets really fired up when the facts are politically sexy to their agenda.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty much sums up what I've thought since 2011. I hate when the news media and such shows the killers face, his name, what he thinks about, his Twitter post, etc. They give him infamy, and that's exactly what he wanted. This is just going to inspire more copy cats.

IMO, their names shouldn't be posted at all, all he deserves is a number. Just a plain boring number.

Last edited by Viri,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Pretty much sums up what I've thought since 2011. I hate when the news media and such shows the killers face, his name, what he thinks about, his Twitter post, etc. They give him infamy, and that's exactly what he wanted. This is just going to inspire more copy cats.

IMO, their names shouldn't be posted at all, all he deserves is a number. Just a plain boring number.

It's not an uncommon theory, but media in other countries cover attacks in a similar fashion yet don't share our consistent shootings.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is talking about gun, mental illness, etc. Perhaps everyone is avoiding the possible reasoning behind the issue?
I don't know if this is true or not, but perhaps this could be the reason?
Found an article here

Reactions: CallmeBerto

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh. Again. One after the other. RIP.

I know this is in poor taste but, I see this as another reason why kids drop out of school.

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone start adding dates to these titles, Thought there was an additional shooting that occurred today that I didn't hear about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F