• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

School shooting @ Great Mills Md high school today

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
03/20/18 Great Mills High School

Details not yet fully reported. Nobody dead, but a few (?) critical injuries. Reportedly the shooter is a male student of the school. Shooting was stopped by the armed Sheriff's Deputy school resource officer (by shooting the shooter, with a GUN, before he shot anyone else). CNN's coverage so far is not making mention of that, only that the shooting is now 'contained.'

No info yet on the weapon used or how the kid obtained it.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Funny, how the US has dozens of school shootings a year and Europe barely has any ;')
You sure gun laws aren't to blame?

That's it. I'm moving to Germany.

Europe is full.
We don't need anymore people here.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny, how the US has dozens of school shootings a year and Europe barely has any ;')

Gun laws don't have a lot to do with an upward trend in school shootings. The US had a much higher gun crime rate in the past (peaked in the early 90's), but the random school shooter / high victim count phenomenon wasn't much a thing until the Columbine shooting happened in 1999. It's not like Europe doesn't have mass shootings and mass terror attacks (Brevik, Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan, etc), but your teenagers apparently aren't being saturated by the news media with images of the killers as anti-heroes, which I think makes a big difference.

D

Deleted User

but your teenagers apparently aren't being saturated by the news media with images of the killers as anti-heroes, which I think makes a big difference.
"See this guy? Yeah, don't be like him."
*reverse psychology taking place*
"Obviously I need to be like that guy, because then I'll be on the news too!"

If you don't think this actually happens, watch this

This is an adult. One can only imagine how much it affects a teenager who was raised in an environment where they don't have consequences to their actions.

Last edited by ,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gun laws don't have a lot to do with an upward trend in school shootings. The US had a much higher gun crime rate in the past (peaked in the early 90's), but the random school shooter / high victim count phenomenon wasn't much a thing until the Columbine shooting happened in 1999. It's not like Europe doesn't have mass shootings and mass terror attacks (Brevik, Charlie Hebdo, Bataclan, etc), but your teenagers apparently aren't being saturated by the news media with images of the killers as anti-heroes, which I think makes a big difference.

I never claimed Europe isn't free of homicidal maniacs nor did I say Europe never has one.
But a lot of the school shootings in the US happen due to the ease of availability of firearms.
It's a lot harder to get a hold of a pistol here.

The media indeed is a major culprit on it as well.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also notice how a gun stopped a gun. Interesting.

Notice how the shooter died before harming anybody else because somebody took the matters into their own hands and shot him. Interesting.
also interesting how none of this would have happened it was actually difficult to obtain a gun. Interesting
EDIT: Interesting how an officer of the law can legally have a gun when on duty. Interesting.

Last edited by LittleFlame,
D

Deleted User

also interesting how none of this would have happened it was actually difficult to obtain a gun. Interesting
Also notice that there are millions of guns roaming the US and that if gun laws were restricted then people would start selling their guns on the black market because they know they will make a lot of money and then it puts even less restrictions on the sales of guns. Interesting.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Europe is full.
We don't need anymore people here.
Don't be petty. Another case of mental issues going ignored. Blame the guns all you want, you look foolish.

I'm going to blunt. A lot of you are part of the problem. Especially the ones that don't even live in this country but think they have a right to a political opinion about it. The first thing you'll look at is the tool used. I understand that there may be too many guns floating around here. I also know that you don't just wake up and decide to shoot up a school. Shit is happening to push these students to make such rash decisions. Of course, you don't see that. Nope, you want to fuel your fucked up agendas. Seriously..

Last edited by Kioku,

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't be petty. Another case of mental issues going ignored. Blame the guns all you want, you look foolish.
It'd be a lot fucking better if it was actually difficult to obtain a lethal weapon, say maybe a mandatory check to see if you're mentally stable enough to even obtain one, sure it wouldn't stop everything but the simple fact of the matter is the kid was sick in the head, and because it's super easy to get a gun he decided grab his and kill a bunch'a people for his 10 minutes of fame.

I honestly don't understand how people are defending gun laws when this sort of thing happens this often

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Interesting how an officer of the law can legally have a gun when on duty. Interesting.

The shooter is a minor and 1) cannot yet legally possess a firearm and 2) cannot legally take a firearm onto school property. He's already banned by virtue of his age, but someone else also broke the law (his parents, most likely) by providing him access to their gun(s), whether they intended to or not. I'm not saying laws don't make a difference at all, but you said none of this would have happened if it was actually difficult for the shooter to obtain a gun. According to the laws already in effect (Md has pretty strict gun laws btw), it already is difficult for a minor to obtain a gun. All falls apart when laws get broken or ignored though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I'm going to blunt. A lot of you are part of the problem. Especially the ones that don't even live in this country but think they have a right to a political opinion about it. The first thing you'll look at is the tool used. I understand that there may be too many guns floating around here. I also know that you don't just wake up and decide to shoot up a school. Shit is happening to push these students to make such rash decisions. Of course, you don't see that. Nope, you want to fuel your fucked up agendas. Seriously..

Australia had gun laws once.
They decided that citizens aren't allowed to carry firearms anymore and the criminal rates including firearms went down.
Massively as well.

I can understand wanting a pistol to protect your property, but does it have to be a military semi-auto rifle?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's it. I'm moving to Germany.
You're welcome /s

Mental issues are the scapegoat for everything in the modern society, like e.g. that pilot that decided to park the German Wings plane into the Alps. "Mental issues are to be blamed!". The problem of using mental issues as scapegoating, as you see, is not only American.

Of course there are "mental issues", but the mental issues themselves are not the base problem, it is not a problem of the part (the defective human with mental issues), it is a systemic problem (the society as it is is turning people nuts). And IMHO, guns are a relevant part of this systemic problem in America.

Shooting was stopped by the armed Sheriff's Deputy school resource officer (by shooting the shooter, with a GUN, before he shot anyone else).
Well done, as I said before, IMHO you should have armed security personal around schools, considering the state of things in the late months. <link to previous comment here, if I happen no to be lazy later and carry on a forum search>

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.