Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Since today there are connection problems if using out DNS Server. I have not analysed it deeply, but it seems that Nintendo or Gamespy has banned the redirection server.

Now I have changed the DNS Server to report the original addresses. So there is no need to remove the DNS settings.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Since today there are connection problems if using out DNS Server. I have not analysed it deeply, but it seems that Nintendo or Gamespy has banned the redirection server.

Now I have changed the DNS Server to report the original addresses. So there is no need to remove the DNS settings.

Yesterday, when I tried to connect to the servers, I get 3 times error code 60010 (or similar). Then I disabled the redirection and I connected to WFC. After enabling the redirection the error was there again.

And yesterday there were many players online. Maybe the servers were overloaded and the results of above are a random effect.
I will test it again when Easter is gone.

btw:
For my own Wiis I use another DNS-Server. It allows me to play with settings without impact to you, the other user.

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Yesterday, when I tried to connect to the servers, I get 3 times error code 60010 (or similar). Then I disabled the redirection and I connected to WFC. After enabling the redirection the error was there again.

And yesterday there were many players online. Maybe the servers were overloaded and the results of above are a random effect.

btw:
For my own Wiis I use another DNS-Server. It allows me to play with settings without impact to you, the other user.
Can you help me please?
http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/wii-server/statistics.txt
My Dr.Mario online Rx friend code is never logged...
But Mario Kart Wii has no problem being logged...
I set both of my DNS into 176.9.146.163
(Plus, non of my friend codes except for MKWii are recorded)

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany

btw:

I have re-startet the redirection!
My personnel test succeeded.
On Friday, when I stopped it, there were ~3700 MKW players online. In the last 5 hours only 1100–1600 players were online.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Tock@Wii-Homebrew said:
Just a heads up: I'm pretty sure Nintendo drops connections from one IP if there are more than ~20 people using the same IP. That was the problem when I tried to download the friendlists.
If this is true, then I have to change my recommendation to use the DNS-Server only temporary to register new profiles.

AzerothArg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi!
I just found the thread, after my brother suggested that we should start capturing packets with wireshark just in case.

Glad to see the progress achieved, congratulations!

I have a few games for the Wii that aren't mentioned here, I could start dumping them, if necesarily. (I have a linksys wr54g with DD-WRT firmware).

The games are:

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 (This I play on an almost daily basis)
Endless Ocean 2 (Never figured out how to go online)
Goldeneye 007 (Never played online)

Reactions: HNKii

HNKii

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi!
I just found the thread, after my brother suggested that we should start capturing packets with wireshark just in case.

Glad to see the progress achieved, congratulations!

I have a few games for the Wii that aren't mentioned here, I could start dumping them, if necesarily. (I have a linksys wr54g with DD-WRT firmware).

The games are:

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 (This I play on an almost daily basis)
Endless Ocean 2 (Never figured out how to go online)
Goldeneye 007 (Never played online)

For Endless ocean 2 Online is a like Animal Crossing.
Tell me your if you want to play EO2 with me

Casuallynoted

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone has a copy of Nights: Journey of Dreams, I'd really love to see the packets get dumped for that. The My Dream mode is really fun to play on.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Just yesterday or so I was trying to play Brawl online and then I remembered that the servers were taken down... *sigh*

I want it back.. or Smash 4!

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have endless ocean 2, never went online with it though. I think you have to exchange friend codes then use the gate to explore with each other. And I think it works the same way with Endless Ocean 1.

Two other games I haven't noticed and I am surprised: Conduit and Conduit 2. Don't get me wrong I love Golden Eye, but I love sci-fi a little more so Conduit wins in a direct compare.

I am sure that CoD: Black Ops will also (or should) get dumped. At least it always seemed to have a huge following. I never got that game but it is on my "to get" list lol.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only upload captures people send me. Games like the CoD games use different servers so those will take a whole lot more work to reverser engineer.

eN-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please remember that it is not sufficient to simply use Wiimm's DNS server when you want to see your favorite game being worked on. It is very important to capture network dumps on your own and to write down what you did in the game and when you did it - or even better capture the video along with the network traffic. Without any information on what has been done in game it is nearly useless to capture the network traffic...

Apart from that, make sure to do as many things as possible related to online gaming. Just to give a few examples, for MKWii this included connecting to WFC with one and two local players, also with completely new profiles, creating new friend codes, registering other friend codes by typing them in manually, registering new friend codes while inside a "room", joining friend's rooms, leaving them again, starting different types of games (versus, battle, coin), deleting friends from your list, connecting two or more Wiis for the same local network to WFC, starting regional games and global games, closing a room while other players are connected, connecting to a game by using your friend list and joining one of your friends, ...
As you can see, there are so many possible actions inside the WFC and without capturing and documentating everything, creating a fully functional server is not only a pain, but nearly not possible.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
On Thursday, May 1., or some days later, I will close the redirection for collecting friend codes.

The reason is simple:
I need the server and the ports for tests of a real own server.
You must do nothing, because the DNS server will deliver the original IP addresses.

However, there is a chance for other users to transmit the friend codes manually. All I need is a simple list with friend code and Game ID4. But I have no time to create a web formula at the moment.

So it would be nice, if anyone can create a web formula, stores both infos into a list and gives me a download link for aromatic loading of that list. Then I include the list into my friend ship retrieving script and it works like the DNS redirection.

A list looks like this:
Code:
1234-5678-9012 RMCJ
9876-7654-4321 RSBJ
4321-8764-1234 RMCP
The game code is needed for validation.

Lakster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can only upload captures people send me. Games like the CoD games use different servers so those will take a whole lot more work to reverser engineer.
Is there any list of games that make extensive use of servers not hosted by Nintendo/Gamespy? The only ones I knew about before you mentioned the CoDs were GoldenEye and Monster Hunter Tri (which is already down) and a few smaller DS games like n+. Or even if someone could make/point us in the direction of a few other popular/common games that use external servers, that'd be great too.

Regarding them, whats the general opinion about whether or not the servers will be playable after the Nintendo shutdown? My understanding was that they all use the Nintendo servers for the FC portion (initially logging in, storing and exchanging with friends, etc.) but after it connected to those, the actual gameplay was all on the external servers. That makes it sound like if we could get our own GameSpy servers running for that FC portion (which we seem to have done already), it might be able to still connect to the official external servers after that. Of course, that is assuming that they'll leave them up for a time past May 20...

One final question for the day that I've been wondering for awhile - do you guys have any plans for the handful of Wiiware and DSiWare (I may ask about DSiWare in the DS topic as well)? If they just use the regular Gamespy servers, I'd assume that they'd work, but has there been any thought for NoSSL patches for them? I assume it'd be easier for WiiWare than DSiWare (is there even a way to load DSiWare games via flashcart or something similar)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol