Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

invisiblek1d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Using the NSP creator from Cave Database, everything works great but there's no sound, although the menu from Cotton does have sound.

With the Sega Saturn NSP creator, I didn't have that issue. Any ideas?

andre_int

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Finally managed to get Daytona USA up and running with sounds and full speed!
It was quite the nightmare, so here's the final config file.
Reminder to anyone having troubles that you can look up my previous messages where I share other ini files and detail how to use Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script .
Really sad to read we had some of these files available and they got removed out of childish reasons, oh well, it was "fun" to figure things out ; )

Attachments

• daytona_ini.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 52

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reminder to anyone having troubles that you can look up my previous messages where I share other ini files and detail how to use Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script .
Really sad to read we had some of these files available and they got removed out of childish reasons, oh well, it was "fun" to figure things out ; )
Well done!
I wish all the other ini files were archived somewhere.

It's a shame, we go through so much effort for game preservation, but when someone in the community looses their cool they delete all their work and it's lost forever.

cagerhager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

quick question, I have been using markos95 injector and nsp creator. I was able to replace the texture file in the romfs folder when it extracts the nsp before you create the new nsp, but i was wondering if you knew where to place the ini file either before creating the new nsp or post in atmosphere?

Title ID is 010077001526E003
Name of NSP is Daytona USA

Thanks!

andre_int

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
quick question, I have been using markos95 injector and nsp creator. I was able to replace the texture file in the romfs folder when it extracts the nsp before you create the new nsp, but i was wondering if you knew where to place the ini file either before creating the new nsp or post in atmosphere?

Title ID is 010077001526E003
Name of NSP is Daytona USA

Thanks!
Umm, I actually use the ultimate-switch-hack-script
https://github.com/shadow2560/Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script
With this utility you are guided through the whole process and you end up with a clean nsp to install.

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!
I tried to follow your guide but something is not clear for me and it doesn't work, probably my fault!

I found a xci copy of the japan version ID 0100094014BE4000 , it isn't in your list of 3 IDs version, btw...
After installing with atmosphere I created a folder with this ID name into atmosphere /contents of my SD.

But, first of all, since the foder is new I don't have any of the files you showed in the first post.

In every case, what I simply did is: copying the game Magic Knight Rayearth.bin and named its cue file in Cotton2.cue

I launched the game but it opens the collection and not Magic Knight Rayearth. What was wrong? Can you help me and please explain better all the steps? Maybe I missed something but I simply followed the first and second post... Thanks!

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit: I think the save file is SaveData00000000.bin. This starts with something suspiciously similar to the individual save file I exported from a backup.bin.

I'm probably going to give up on importing my save, as the main point was the few bits that unlock if you start PD Saga with a save file from PD Zwei already on the console.

Where are the Saturn game's save files stored? (As opposed to the Switch save file that has the settings from the ini in it, which needs to be deleted to change those settings). [How] is it possible to import a save from another emulator?

I have looked in the save file exported using JKSV, and it's not clear whether there is a file that corresponds to the 8 MB 'backup.bin' files I used in Lakka/Yabause and can check the contents of using the Saturn save parser program - only the one numbered 00088000 is large enough. I would like to transfer my progress in Panzer Dragoon Saga. I have also tried creating Backup/InternalBackup within atmosphere/contents/[titleID generated with the ultimate script]/romfs and copying in backup.bin. This is the location suggested for injecting FDD backups (well, Backup/FloppyDisk/Partition0 or 1), but my save isn't showing up in the game.

Last edited by emcintosh,

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!
I tried to follow your guide but something is not clear for me and it doesn't work, probably my fault!

I found a xci copy of the japan version ID 0100094014BE4000 , it isn't in your list of 3 IDs version, btw...
After installing with atmosphere I created a folder with this ID name into atmosphere /contents of my SD.

But, first of all, since the foder is new I don't have any of the files you showed in the first post.

In every case, what I simply did is: copying the game Magic Knight Rayearth.bin and named its cue file in Cotton2.cue

I launched the game but it opens the collection and not Magic Knight Rayearth. What was wrong? Can you help me and please explain better all the steps? Maybe I missed something but I simply followed the first and second post... Thanks!

There should be a 006 at the end of the title ID if using the collection. Due to the games folder structure.

00 and 01 etc is used for Unity files.
06 is where the games ROM is if you're using the Cotton Collection. Try that and report back.

Reactions: AlessioM88

AlessioM88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you so much!
This ID: 0100094014BE4000 should be the one of the collection, reported by the website n2sw and also my Goldleaf.

Anyway I'm trying the suggestion in the DM, thanks!

EDIT:

I tried the version Cotton2 Saturn Tribute[0100A18015268000] and I finally can play Magic Knight Rayearth on my Switch! Thanks!:wub:

Last edited by AlessioM88,
Reactions: Purple_Shyguy

Samus12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some observations that may be helpful for any future web searchers: I was primarily interested in getting the Saturn version of Nocturne in the Moonlight (AKA Symphony of the Night) running on the Switch, preferably in English. There are three notable hacks of it I tried: the PSX English translation, the Extended 1.5 untranslated version with graphical improvements, and the Ultimate 1.1 version that has the Extended one's improvements as well as the PSP English translation. The first two work, but the Ultimate one crashes no matter what I tried, so I went with the PSX English translation. For the most part, it runs well, although one notable graphical bug is in the first room with the mermen - whenever you go near the bottom of the screen, an eye-searing flashing yellow bar appears on the top of the screen. It's bad enough that in portable mode, it left some image retention on the screen for a few minutes. This is the only place in the game (in both the regular and inverted areas) that it's this severe, and it's easy to avoid after first opening the map there, so it isn't game-breaking. My TV didn't seem to have any image retention, thankfully. My next problem was that I greatly prefer DarkAkuma's ZebraEngine NSP creator via Cave Database Manager, but I don't have access to 1.5 and have to settle for 1.4.6 in which the select menu is invisible. I figured out that if I placed the Texture.tex file from Saturn2NSP in the atmosphere/contents/[fileid]/romfs folder, it fixed it! The buttons are labeled incorrectly when remapping them, but they still correspond to whatever button you press, so no biggie.

Anyway, hopefully this wall o' text will be useful for someone in the future - there's little to no documentation for any of this stuff online.

jvirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Im using saturn2nsp, for me the easier way, they only problem in Sega rally screen not fit completly but its a minor problem.

Cant share links, google that : create saturn nsp and click 1st result

lisreal2401

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the release of Assault Suit Leynos 2 on Switch, is there a chance this might open up the Saturn compatibility list a bit ?
very likely is using the same crypto added in every other Saturn Tribute release, though I've considered looking at the possibility of figuring out exactly what is being checked against/verified.

at the very least trying to do some RE on Switch again sounds fun.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
very likely is using the same crypto added in every other Saturn Tribute release, though I've considered looking at the possibility of figuring out exactly what is being checked against/verified.

at the very least trying to do some RE on Switch again sounds fun.
Thanks a lot, I hope you'll be able to figure it out. There are some games I'm dying to play on the Switch but are currently crashing when injected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto