Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

echan42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe someone can help me out here.
I'm trying to make the game "Shōjo Kakumei Utena: Itsuka Kakumeisareru Monogatari" work by injecting it to Cotton2.

I got the japanese version working first go, custom backgrounds and icon and everything, 100% works.

But as soon as I translated my copy using the translation pach it didn't work anymore when injected.
Yabuse works fine but the injection script just gives me a blank screen even though it installs fine and I can interact with the emulator's menu and everything.

I've tried multiple configs to no avail, anybody got the translated version of this game to work?
Any ideas what I can do to get it working?

Also since it's a 2 disc game my guess is I have to transfer the save between 2 nsp's, right?

Nazosan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the input lag fixed?
From what I could glean about this (it seems to be entirely abandoned by everyone at this point even though there isn't really a truly viable alternative at this time) there isn't a lot to be done. It's possible to include a configuration file with the game that can somewhat improve things by changing one of the settings (I forget what the setting even was) for slightly lower input latency, improved compatibility, etc, but you'll have to look up the original emulator's information on how to even make those since all the pre-made ones were removed for whatever reason. I forget which it was, but there was one setting in particular that could improve input latency a bit on the games it could work with -- but I think it reduced FPS if I recall.

Unfortunately, the emulator this software uses just simply isn't the best, but then speed was its goal, not accuracy, and that's kind of necessary on relatively weak hardware like the Switch has.

Reactions: wrsg and Thorhax

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I could glean about this (it seems to be entirely abandoned by everyone at this point even though there isn't really a truly viable alternative at this time) there isn't a lot to be done. It's possible to include a configuration file with the game that can somewhat improve things by changing one of the settings (I forget what the setting even was) for slightly lower input latency, improved compatibility, etc, but you'll have to look up the original emulator's information on how to even make those since all the pre-made ones were removed for whatever reason. I forget which it was, but there was one setting in particular that could improve input latency a bit on the games it could work with -- but I think it reduced FPS if I recall.

Unfortunately, the emulator this software uses just simply isn't the best, but then speed was its goal, not accuracy, and that's kind of necessary on relatively weak hardware like the Switch has.
The saddest part is that no one preserved the spreadsheet which has config ini files and a game compatibility list.

wings110

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. CaVE works great to make a custom single Sega Saturn game NSP and so much more . I was just asking more for rom swapping multiple roms within the tribute game. Last I recall, the update added new encryption that no one has been able to decrypt to swap games.
CaVE works great to make a custom single Sega Saturn game NSP, but press Ranking button ,the game will breakdown, Must be retested to work again,I hope you can disable this option or fix it,big thx!
Post automatically merged:

Search Ultimate-Switch-Hack-Script, you also have a subject on Gbatemp for it.
use saturn tribute is Cotton2 Saturn Tribute build nearly very good , but press Ranking button ,the game will breakdown, Must be retested to work again,I hope you can disable this option or fix it,big thx!

Attachments

• 0F98783A2520982848C77FA7087B86E7.jpg
    0F98783A2520982848C77FA7087B86E7.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by wings110,

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
CaVE works great to make a custom single Sega Saturn game NSP, but press Ranking button ,the game will breakdown, Must be retested to work again,I hope you can disable this option or fix it,big thx!

use saturn tribute is Cotton2 Saturn Tribute build nearly very good , but press Ranking button ,the game will breakdown, Must be retested to work again,I hope you can disable this option or fix it,big thx!
I think that I will not try to fix that, I haven't the time for it and it's not a major issue. If someone find a solution maybe I will integrate it.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The saddest part is that no one preserved the spreadsheet which has config ini files and a game compatibility list.
I found this one my phone. No idea if this was early or late version of the list.

Attachments

• Sega Saturn Tribute Compatibility List.pdf
    833.1 KB · Views: 93

mister_smang_n_watch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are the actual steps to get Sakura Wars working? I don't really see any real explanation on how to get the iso/cue/wav to just bin/cue. Converting to iso to bin is pretty self explanatory, but what do I do with the wav? And I saw people were converting both disks to one single image, or did I misunderstand? I checked every post I could find "sakura" and "wav" but couldn't find my answer.

Also, is it possible to move my saves from Mednafen over to switch or do I have to start over?

Last edited by mister_smang_n_watch,

axlefoley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this one my phone. No idea if this was early or late version of the list.
The links to the configs are all dead anyway. Cheers for that at least we can see if certain games need the files or not.

On that note though does anyone have the config files for Burning Rangers & Nights into Dreams please, I'd appreciate it.

Also any chance we could get a tutorial or something on how to create custom wallpapers and the like coz I don't really understand what this %PNG thing is.

Last edited by axlefoley,

axlefoley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is the input lag fixed?
I think that is more to do with the emulator itself (could be wrong) so unless it's reverse engineered I don't know that it can be fixed. In saying that I am not sure. However all this being the case I haven't really noticed much input lag but it is probably down to the games I am playing, If I were to play a fighting game or something that requires fast inputs it may be more noticeable for me but again it is probably down to what you are playing.

Maciel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is there a way I can import my save file from a game I was playing on Mednafen on my pc to this emulator so I can keep playing it on my switch from where I left?
Edit: Game is Sakura Taisen (Disk 1)

Are you using the disc?

I'm able to copy to and from the FDD without problems

View attachment 280384
I think this is what I needed. How do I set this up?

Im having the same issue about moving save files from mednaden. I was able to get sakura working but I have no idea how to continue with my mednaden save. Did you have any luck?
what are the actual steps to get Sakura Wars working? I don't really see any real explanation on how to get the iso/cue/wav to just bin/cue. Converting to iso to bin is pretty self explanatory, but what do I do with the wav? And I saw people were converting both disks to one single image, or did I misunderstand? I checked every post I could find "sakura" and "wav" but couldn't find my answer.

Also, is it possible to move my saves from Mednafen over to switch or do I have to start over?

Last edited by Maciel,

DarkAkuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit of a necroing here now. But damn. The compatibility list is gone?

And first thing I see in this thread is... this...

Have you tested it, crashes immediatly when adding custom config.ini, only games injected with cotton boomerang work, Emulator Menu is invisible after injection, i think advanced settings for config is broken
why even bother releasing something half baked if he can not add support to the title updates with fixed Lag settings? why hide the config settings.ini, he copied others work with less functions.

why come very late to the game and make something that has already been done, Gui interface that doesnt work unless you use vanilla config and Cotton boomerang, maybe messed up .tex? or confused about shared files compatibility? where is the option to choose our own .tex files?

Shadow's or the private Scripts works Great Though for whatever i throw in it

it would have been nice if the owner spent some effort like maybe adding support to inject 3 or 4 Saturn games / Multi Discs into Cotton Collection instead of broken single NSP Support

lol...

I stopped working on or caring about ZebraEngine support (and checking this thread) right after I added it... because I saw NOBODY mentioning they even gave it a try, or reporting any bugs with it. And here months after the fact I find a guy whining and bashing CaVE for being buggy with ZebraEngine instead of... actually ever reporting the issues back when I was ready, willing and wanting to fix them asap. Man... You have no idea how much this really irks me...

So whose to blame here? Me for putting in the work to support ZE, and then being perfectly willing and expecting to refine that support and stability... but ultimately not because there was zero feedback... or people like him that find issues, don't report them, and just complain about my program in another thread like it existing is a slap in the face to them?

Whatever... I'll try to decypher the unhinged complaining into bug reports to add to my tracker. But I can't make any promises on fixing these issues. I long since came to terms with putting ZE support on the shelf and instead working on what people show me they care about.
  • Adding a custom ini crashes? Presumably in CaVE, not in game.
  • Only Boomerang injects work? That was most definitely not intended...
  • Menu is invisible... I think I saw someone mention this, but only a couple months ago. WELL after I gave up on ZE.
  • "Advance setting for config is broken"... Not very descriptive...
Since after that its mostly just ranting again... i guess I can respond to some of that.

"why even bother releasing something half baked if he can not add support to the title updates with fixed Lag settings?".

I tried. I spent WAY too much time working on those updates, and failing. But I added ZE support, just because I could. I had all the code and UI there from Hiyoko/Sloop/Hovercraft support, so figured "Why not? It's easy to add support for, and people would probably appreciate a decent, strait forward and simple UI for making these". The lack of feedback showed otherwise.

"why hide the config settings.ini". I don't even know what that means. You can select such an ini, or fill out the settings that are in it, in the UI. Nothings hidden.

"he copied others work with less functions". I copied no ones work. Well, except my own in a sense... as the ZE support was based off my own Sloop, Hiyoko and Hovercraft support. Everything I did in it was custom. From cracking the tex format, to menus and screens. The only thing borrowed was referring people to the compatibility list.

And now you know why (apparently) CaVE is buggy with ZE and why I never fixed it.

Anyway. To the few here that do have something positive to say about CaVE ZebraEngine support, thank you. Hopefully I will get back around to working on it again after the CaVE v1.5 revamp is done. For now, I just came here as I recently had to port the ZE code among the others to the new project, was doing some basic UI testing, and wanted to see wtf happened to the compatibility list (sorry. no backup of it here either =( ).

If you do use CaVE for ZE, refer to the CaVE thread in my sig for any feedback on it. I won't see it here. I have less of a reason to check this thread now...

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a necroing here now. But damn. The compatibility list is gone?

And first thing I see in this thread is... this...

lol...

I stopped working on or caring about ZebraEngine support (and checking this thread) right after I added it... because I saw NOBODY mentioning they even gave it a try, or reporting any bugs with it. And here months after the fact I find a guy whining and bashing CaVE for being buggy with ZebraEngine instead of... actually ever reporting the issues back when I was ready, willing and wanting to fix them asap. Man... You have no idea how much this really irks me...

So whose to blame here? Me for putting in the work to support ZE, and then being perfectly willing and expecting to refine that support and stability... but ultimately not because there was zero feedback... or people like him that find issues, don't report them, and just complain about my program in another thread like it existing is a slap in the face to them?

Whatever... I'll try to decypher the unhinged complaining into bug reports to add to my tracker. But I can't make any promises on fixing these issues. I long since came to terms with putting ZE support on the shelf and instead working on what people show me they care about.
  • Adding a custom ini crashes? Presumably in CaVE, not in game.
  • Only Boomerang injects work? That was most definitely not intended...
  • Menu is invisible... I think I saw someone mention this, but only a couple months ago. WELL after I gave up on ZE.
  • "Advance setting for config is broken"... Not very descriptive...
Since after that its mostly just ranting again... i guess I can respond to some of that.

"why even bother releasing something half baked if he can not add support to the title updates with fixed Lag settings?".

I tried. I spent WAY too much time working on those updates, and failing. But I added ZE support, just because I could. I had all the code and UI there from Hiyoko/Sloop/Hovercraft support, so figured "Why not? It's easy to add support for, and people would probably appreciate a decent, strait forward and simple UI for making these". The lack of feedback showed otherwise.

"why hide the config settings.ini". I don't even know what that means. You can select such an ini, or fill out the settings that are in it, in the UI. Nothings hidden.

"he copied others work with less functions". I copied no ones work. Well, except my own in a sense... as the ZE support was based off my own Sloop, Hiyoko and Hovercraft support. Everything I did in it was custom. From cracking the tex format, to menus and screens. The only thing borrowed was referring people to the compatibility list.

And now you know why (apparently) CaVE is buggy with ZE and why I never fixed it.

Anyway. To the few here that do have something positive to say about CaVE ZebraEngine support, thank you. Hopefully I will get back around to working on it again after the CaVE v1.5 revamp is done. For now, I just came here as I recently had to port the ZE code among the others to the new project, was doing some basic UI testing, and wanted to see wtf happened to the compatibility list (sorry. no backup of it here either =( ).

If you do use CaVE for ZE, refer to the CaVE thread in my sig for any feedback on it. I won't see it here. I have less of a reason to check this thread now...
blah blah blah, drop your Bullshit act everybody knows you like attention, i have already reported all the issues with it and you reply with oh this guy comes and mentions things i already know, if you had time to revive a dead thread after half an year, i think you need a new hobby, just remember to not get hard feelings and cancel your projects again, you have a knack for it

next time instead of coming to rant your frustration into random people who do not care, try and decrypt the new update for the emulator instead of bickering more about your half baked burned emulator that produces broken files most of the time

Last edited by ZER-O,

DarkAkuma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blah blah blah, drop your Bullshit act everybody knows you like attention, i have already reported all the issues with it and you reply with oh this guy comes and mentions things i already know, if you had time to revive a dead thread after half an year, i think you need a new hobby, just remember to not get hard feelings and cancel your projects again, you have a knack for it

next time instead of coming to rant your frustration into random people who do not care, try and decrypt the new update for the emulator instead of bickering more about your half baked burned emulator that produces broken files most of the time

Oh. I see. You're just a whiny entitled troll trying to incite me with blatant lies and pathetic jabs. The only thing worth responding to is... You never reported the issues. Or at least, never did so in the first month or 2 after I added ZE support. The ENTIRE reason I stopped working on ZE support and apparently left it buggy is because people like you using the feature and/or encountering issues, but not letting me know. Why would I continue to spend my time on something that as far as I can tell no one uses, or to my knowledge, works fine? This is the facts of how things went. Period. You act like I purposely made something to annoy you. Get over yourself.

Welcome to the ignore list.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate all the work you put into this Akuma, and was wonder if you or anyone on ur team was gonna work on the updated Saturn emulator that Elevator Action Returns and many newer releases uses nowadays.

I'm personally working on a way of how Baroque - Original Version switch port works (it uses the SSF emulator) but problem is how they load the games with it? changing .bin & .cue files of a different saturn game gives the Switch crash software error message.

Maybe i can give a helping hand with the newer Saturn Tribute emulator and try to see how they doing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games