Sales data estimates that Animal Crossing: New Horizons had the best digital game launch of all time

UsgDnzO.png

SuperData, which is a sales tracking and research company part of the Neilsen Corporation, claims that Nintendo has broken even more records than initially thought with Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Their analytics estimate that the latest Animal Crossing game has sold more digital copies in a single month than any other console game in history, surpassing the previous record-holder of Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII, with digital copy sales amounting to about the same launch month total as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Pokemon Sword and Shield, combined. According to a different sales data tracker, the NPD Group, Animal Crossing: New Horizons became the third-highest selling physical launch of a game in the United States of all time.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons sold more digital units in a single month (5.0M) than any console game in history. The Nintendo-published title broke the console record for monthly digital game sales previously held by Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII. Animal Crossing: New Horizons also roughly matched the first-month digital sales of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Pokémon Sword and Shield put together. The game’s combination of social features and a relaxing setting likely appealed to individuals stuck at home. Closures of brick and mortar stores also meant that a higher share of consumers purchased the game digitally compared to past Switch titles.

SuperData also showed that consumers were spending a record amount of money on digital video game purchases in March 2020 with gamers worldwide spending $10 billion dollars on the industry, up 11% from 2019, while data localized to the United States proved that the country alone spent $1.6 billion on games this March, with software and hardware sales up by 35% over last year.

Spending on digital games reached $10.0B in March, the highest monthly total ever. Individuals are turning to games as a reliable entertainment option during the COVID-19 crisis and are using online multiplayer to keep in touch with others. Total digital revenue was up 11% year-over-year from March 2019 ($9.0B).

:arrow: Source

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That is pretty impressive and especially considering that sales for CODBO4 are combined for xone and ps4 which at the time of release were probably more than the number of sold switches right now.

EDIT: Right I forgot that those games had a physical release as well, but not sure how many there were compared to the digital sales

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never got into animal crossing, I tried but it just didnt clicked for me... and now I dont have the time to try this new game
Dont hav the time :lol: what you doing are you outside allday questioning people why ther not inside ther house :lol:

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
How'd Roblox make the list? The mobile app was launched way back in 2013, when it was rather irrelevant.

Also, is it a bad thing that I've never heard of "Dungeon Fighter Online"...?

Agusto101

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
Of course nintendo is the one that sells more software that is the crítical point of a console, ps4 even with a super hyped remaster and incomplete of ff vii cant match.. . Poor guys, and the best thing is that we are only talking about animal crossing imagine the others franchises same history the entire life hahaha.

Last edited by Agusto101,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
One thing worth noting besides Animal Crossing here is the excellent performance of Half-Life: Alyx in a market presumed to be very narrow due to the limited adoption of VR. So much for the "not worth the effort, most people don't own a VR headset" excuse. I hope developers will take notice of the fact that this emerging market *can* generate great sales provided the product is attractive.

Reactions: Cosmic_Link and Xzi

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont get it, it looks so boring, the switch must have a lot of casuals who are used to these simple games on mobile

D

Deleted User

hear me out I've got nothing against animal crossing but I hope gta 6 outruns animal crossing in terms of sales

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-