1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    from what i readed nintendo made an arragement for one game and they didnt like the game and that was it... how was that anything to held a grudge by?Considering the game wasnt even scrapped since it was released anyway on the n64 by other publisher, so they didnt even lost the money they invested on it, they still released 2 mainline gta games on the game boy color so no idea why you even think they resented nintendo when they ported their 2 mainline gta games at the time to a nintendo platform.

it was just when they got huge thanks to sony ps2 and gta 3 is that they stopped making games on nintendo and they still did some.

bully was a big budget game released on the wii, same for manhunt 2.

they mostly made gba versions of their games tough like max payne and some exclsuives like smugglers run on the gamecube and such and gta advance/gta chinatown wars.

2. xtrem3x

xtrem3x GBAtemp Regular

It wasn't as simple as Nintendo not liking the game.

They were going to be a 2nd party developer for Nintendo so cancelled projects and re-worked their line ups etc expecting investment and proper opportunity. Then Nintendo changed their mind at the last minute.

That's how I understand it from the bits I've read

3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    if nintendo made a deal for a game, then they said the game was kept being delayed over and over and no longer was an n64 launch title, im preety sure nintendo got pissed, they never got the game as a launch title and after all the delays they didnt like the game at all, who knows what nintendo asked them to do and what they came up with.

i dont see anything wrong on both partys, imagine you saying hey take some money make us a great launch game, then the n64 is releasing and they have no game ready, and after that it suffered more delays, then nintendo was like wtf still not done let us see, they saw something and they tought , well noppe, our deal is off just keep doing your own stuff.

Same just happened with bandai namco, nintendo gave them the work for a metroid prime 4 and after like 2 years they saw what they did and said nope, we dont like it, so they closed the deal with them and started over handling it to retro studios, and yet nintendo let bandai namco still do games for them like pokemon snap new game, work on smash ultimate and so on, sometimes the devs visions just dont match up and the deal goes sour.

AFAIK there wasnt anything major between them, specialy since during that gen they made alot of nintendo games on portables and even on n64 itself like released body harvest and sapce station silicon valley.

Heck microsoft did the same with scalebound, they didnt like what it was becoming and axed it, its normal for games get axed, many games we will never know were conceled.

Heck i remenber i think last year Sony closed an entire studio since they were suposed to do VR games and in 4 years they didnt make a single game, sony keep axing their projects, so after 4 years sony said screw it and closed them down lol.

Codemastershock likes this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I'd have taken a 3ds pro. Seriously.

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    it already exists... its called new 3ds.

Scott_pilgrim and swosho like this.
  6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    At least the Switch has better third party suport than tbe 3DS did. Granted there is maybe way too many ports of old games...

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  7. mugwort

mugwort Member
    Newcomer

United States
    And the New 3DS has been replaced by the Switch Lite, Sept. 17, 2020.

8. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Now release Metroid Prime 4 already dang it!

:rofl2:

9. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    switch lite is just the switch since it has the same exact games and yeah, nintendo just gonna go with one console from now on, which is good imo.

10. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of the Rock Band Customs Project

United States
    My biggest praises go to the Switch. My biggest complaints also go to the Switch. Go figure! :wacko:

Scott_pilgrim and banjo2 like this.
  11. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Maybe in 4054

12. nofain4

nofain4 Member
    Newcomer

Korea, South
  13. Bagel Le Stinky

Bagel Le Stinky GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    What would they even call that? The new Nintendo 23ds xl xl lite i?

14. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    You’re saying that like it’s a bad idea

15. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    What made GTA V the most profitable piece of media of all time is Shark Cards, not selling single player experiences like Rockstar from before, that is why they pour a lot of new content into it but dont care at all about creating a single player, offline expansion. Why sell a game once when you can profit from it perpetually?

Last edited by Codemastershock, Nov 9, 2020
  16. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    its not a fair comparison imo, its like comparing apples and oranges.
    Now we are in internet era and we have massive advertising methods and means to sell things.
    Iw onder if switch came out in 2000 how it would sell.

Also nintendo till now always had limited library where now every game is on switch and game industry is bigger than it was.

I thing more fair and realistic comparison is needed than pure numbers.

Last edited by MetoMeto, Nov 9, 2020
  17. Codemastershock

Codemastershock GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Nintendo always was the shittiest company in regards to advertising their consoles, if they pulled off something similiar in the 2000s it would get even better if there were no compromises to the games especially that at the time the main public was kids and teens, so making the same game work with or without a television would be a huge selling point by itself. It wouldnt work if the concept was the same but the console was just slightly above the N64 specs. The Switch is still very underpowered but many people think the graphics department kinda reached to a point that only Digital Foundry will get hyped about it, so if the game works kinda the same way, it is enough for most people.

18. tofttwaswas

tofttwaswas Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Yeah it's quite sad that 3 years in the console's life, I can't give my switch a Zelda theme like the 3DS.

19. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Bruh he was being sarcastic

banjo2 likes this.
  20. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    as the wii and 3ds sold at the same time, i wonder if the switch sales compete with combined sales over similar time spans. is the savings of having just the one item to sell better money than the combined sales of the wii/3ds?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, Nintendo, million