Safe to update emuNAND in classic mode without GW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Stremon, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    As my gateway will take around 2-3 weeks to arrive, I wanted to know if I could safely update the downgraded 4.5 emuNAND (EU version downgraded with GW 3.0.1), to still play my 6.x+ retail games on it.

I booted the emuNAND, and it's correctly showing the gateway firmware in settings, but strangely when I exit the settings it goes back to sysNAND.

And I didn't do a clean reset of the sysNAND yet to separate the sysNAND from the emuNAND.

I also have the NAND/SD backup of before the downgrade, I even have a second SD card with the 9.2 emuNAND on it.

Any idea what I can do with that?

2. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    it is normal to go to sysnand when you exit the settings.
    you will not be able to go to gw mode or classic mode without the gw card.

3. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    Thanks for your answer ;)
    The classic mode doesn't require the gw card to boot, you just have limited functions (no rom menu or whatever).
    When I boot classic mode without the gw card, there is just a warning message saying that there are limitations without the gw card, I just have to press X to confirm I want to boot classic mode anyway.
    Just wanted to be sure the update could be done safely without the gw card :lol:

Edit: nevermind, got my answer in a gateway mode FAQ:

4. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Depend. Mine don't boot in classic mode without the red card, even if a message says it can but with limited functions. I read somewhere you could but it seems they might have blocked it again.

5. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    I see. Might be the case indeed since it boots only the 4.5 emuNAND... I guess they don't want people to use their software without buying their products, which I can understand :P

6. MrComputerRevo

MrComputerRevo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2013
    Dude, how did you even get to classic mode? Mine just stays at black screen...

7. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    yes black screen for me too on 9.2, it works only on 4.5 with 4.5 emuNAND

8. MrComputerRevo

MrComputerRevo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2013
    Well, I tried 4.5CFW on 4.5 so maybe that doesn't work either.

9. Stremon
    OP

Stremon GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    France
    Nerima, Tokyo
    oh I see... seems like we can't do much without the gw card.
    I don't wanna mess up anything with a 4.5 CFW anyway, especially because it can't do region free, even with retail games (the main reason why I want gateway card).