Emulator S8DS new release

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't want to disturb directly the author, that I know is busy to develop a new emulator, but I would like to know if it will be possible, in a next future, to have the option to scale the image of the gamegear games to fill the screen (maintaining the aspect ratio) of the DS, as it already happens excellently with Lameboy/ Gameyob. I hope, if it's not too much to ask, to have at least this time an answer, be it a yes or a no.
Thank you. :)

kungfury2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I've done some tests with 1..14 / 1..16 and found that older is more stable version:

sg-1000 working pause button: 1.14 yes 1.16 no

after load one of these games (maybe more..) totally crash the emulator when machine is set to 'auto' : master of darkness, vampire, dragon's trap, ninja gaiden, ak miracle world (jap), ak shinobi world, makai retsuden: 1.14 no 1.16 yes

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Loveable emu fluBBa, i have this problem for years now, well i should've ask sooner...
whatever i do, the v0.9 s8ds is freezing the DS when calling the menu with
a garbled screen or frozen frame with static sound, am i the only one suffering of this ?

not every times, let's say about 1 out of 6,
either by touchscreen or key combo... (same thing occurs with nitrografx)
already tried to mix different system/flashcard/usd with same results

daily driver is flashcard AK2v2 aio FW on ogDS, everything else is alright.

also, on the rom selection, maybe more contrast would be good instead of darker blue on blue
i've hard times seeing where the highlighted line is on oDS.

edit : sorry nevermind, problem solved in later version from github (how can i missed that ?)

Last edited by Garcimak,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi @FluBBa

I use an old version of S8DS (V0.9) which I would like to keep because it is with this version that I tested my romset of 272 games.

I installed the latest version (V.1.1.16) but I still use the V0.9 configuration file, if I save my settings from V1.1.16 to this configuration file will it work? It just adds info for the latest version of S8DS or I risk having conflicts between the two versions?

Besides that, I just realized that S8DS can emulate MegaTech and SG-AC arcade games, so I rushed to try that and it works quite well with the exception of a few games.

so my last question is the following for the SG-AC games, everything works fine, however for the MegaTech games I had a problem with Alien Syndrome, the character remains stuck on the left direction and is therefore difficult to control and therefore unplayable and I have a black screen problem with Great Soccer which boots and then nothing except a black screen, could this come from my roms?

I had already had problems with System-E roms that did not work (Astro Flash, Fantasy Zone 2, Megumi Rescue and Opa Opa)

Last edited by Indy13,

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
Just back-up your config file and test, I don't think I have changed much there. MegaTech games I'm not sure why they would not work, they are exactly the same as the normal games except they also include instructions (in a separate rom).
System-E games can be encrypted, the ones you mentioned except Megumi Rescue, that might have changed file names since I implemented it last year.

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just back-up your config file and test
I carried out my tests by making the two versions (v0.9 and v1.1.16) coexist on my SD card and curiously if I make the same configuration to obtain the same settings everything seems to be going well except for the configuration of the gamma which constantly falls to 1. I think I will stay on v0.9 for the moment, I tested 559 games on this version, if I cannot make the two coexist without having a stable settings file, that I will be bothered to lose the compatibility of the functional romsets that I have already tested with v0.9

Megumi Rescue, that might have changed file names since I implemented it last year.
I managed to find it (it wasn't easy), and I get a black screen with it too, the game's zip file has the same name as the one indicated on your github.

If you want, I can send it to you in private message to test it

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
He he, I never released the version with support for Megumi Rescue ;)
:rofl2:
I understand better now why I couldn't get it to work, it’s a very good reason ! :D

robert-de-niro-you.gif

:P

Can you give some examples of games which doesn't work in V1.1.16?
In fact, I retested all the arcade games (MeagTech and System-E) that I had tested with v0.9 and I got the same result, they all come from the same romset (MAME 0.198)*

Megtech :

- Alien Syndrom MT - mt_asyn.zip --> the character goes to the left as if the d-pad was stuck in the left position
- Great Soccer MT - mt_gsocr.zip --> the emulator decompresses the game archive and hangs on a black screen

System-E :

- Astro Flash System-E - astrofl.zip (encrypted)
- Fantasy Zone 2 System-E - fantzn2.zip (encrypted)
- Megumi Rescue System-E - megrescu.zip :toot:
- Opa Opa System-E - opaopa.zip (encrypted)

Here it's the same, for all these games, again, the emulator decompresses the game archive and gets stuck on a black screen

*with the exception of Megumi Rescue which I found elsewhere on a MAME forum and of which I do not know what version it is, Mame 0.245 or 0.259 according to this file:

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=megrescu&search_id=

Last edited by Indy13,
Reactions: FluBBa

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
I've done some tests with 1..14 / 1..16 and found that older is more stable version:

sg-1000 working pause button: 1.14 yes 1.16 no

after load one of these games (maybe more..) totally crash the emulator when machine is set to 'auto' : master of darkness, vampire, dragon's trap, ninja gaiden, ak miracle world (jap), ak shinobi world, makai retsuden: 1.14 no 1.16 yes
I've fixed the pause button (again), can anybody reproduce the crashes? On hardware or emulator? I will try to reproduce it on my end but haven't managed yet.

Reactions: Indy13

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've fixed the pause button (again), can anybody reproduce the crashes? On hardware or emulator? I will try to reproduce it on my end but haven't managed yet.
I just carried out the test on my side on V116, it works and out of curiosity, I compiled V117 to see the result and it works too

FluBBa

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsretro.com
XP
Country
This years release of S8DS!

• Added support for "Megumi Rescue" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Opa Opa unencrypted" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Slap Shooter" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Super Derby (satellite board)" on SG-AC (not working).
  • Added support for "Super Derby II (satellite board)" on SG-AC (not working).
  • Added new debug menu.
  • Fixed vertical scrolling for BG2 on System-E.
  • Fixed envelope handling on the AY38910.
  • Fixed pause on older Sega machines (again).
  • Better menu traversing.
I guess this can be considered a kind of reset to know in what state the emulator is so I can fix bugs again.
https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/S8DS/releases/tag/v1.1.7

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This years release of S8DS!

• Added support for "Megumi Rescue" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Opa Opa unencrypted" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Slap Shooter" on System-E.
  • Added support for "Super Derby (satellite board)" on SG-AC (not working).
  • Added support for "Super Derby II (satellite board)" on SG-AC (not working).
  • Added new debug menu.
  • Fixed vertical scrolling for BG2 on System-E.
  • Fixed envelope handling on the AY38910.
  • Fixed pause on older Sega machines (again).
  • Better menu traversing.
I guess this can be considered a kind of reset to know in what state the emulator is so I can fix bugs again.
https://github.com/FluBBaOfWard/S8DS/releases/tag/v1.1.7
Does this mean there's still hope for better audio emulation?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...