Rusty Soviet Doomsday System Still Turned On

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 3,188
  • Replies 32
D

Deleted_171835

OP

Wired Magazine has a fascinating article on the doomsday system that was built by the Soviets 25 years ago. It was designed to obliterate the US no matter what happened to the USSR—and it still works today. Shiver.

The point of the system, he explains, was to guarantee an automatic Soviet response to an American nuclear strike. Even if the US crippled the USSR with a surprise attack, the Soviets could still hit back. It wouldn't matter if the US blew up the Kremlin, took out the defense ministry, severed the communications network, and killed everyone with stars on their shoulders. Ground-based sensors would detect that a devastating blow had been struck and a counterattack would be launched.

The technical name was Perimeter, but some called it Mertvaya Ruka, or Dead Hand. It was built 25 years ago and remained a closely guarded secret.

The scary thing is that Perimeter still works today. At least according to Valery Yarynich, a former Soviet colonel now 72 years old. Yarynich should know, though: He worked 30 years at the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces and Soviet General Staff helping to build it.

US Officials won't even like to mention it, but with the Cold War over and Russia being more or less a friend, why risk having such a system in place? I really don't like the idea of something going wrong in a rusty 25-year-old piece of Soviet-era technology.

Not when it can automatically launch a nuclear attack capable of taking out Humanity out of the map.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

I guess I should be glad I live in Canada!

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
After twenty five years we probably have the technology to mitigate this anyway....we have freaking laser cannons that can destroy missiles from miles

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
After twenty five years we probably have the technology to mitigate this anyway....we have freaking laser cannons that can destroy missiles from miles

Only if we know its position and its buried pretty deep...

Ok this article is probably talking about non portable nukes, something in the 300-800 Megaton range buried real deep in the earths crust. The concept is that ok they blew us off the face of the earth... Now we just hit this button and there will be no winner.

Its a planet buster sized nuke.

The scary thing is that supposedly the US has them as well.

So something like this is pretty impossible to defend against.

Edit: By non portable I mean it goes off inside the country that decides they have lost the war. Not that it matters where it goes off at, since it would in theory shatter the planet.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure it would work anyway with all the new technology to stop thing like this
an ABM should be able to stop it

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
not sure it would work anyway with all the new technology to stop thing like this
an ABM should be able to stop it

Well if it was a missile then yes an Anti Ballistic Missile something or other would stop it.

Its a large nuke inside Russia no need to launch it, as its big enough to crack the planet in half.

There is no defense against such a weapon.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sure the Gov't knew about this and prob has their own way of doing things, now for those living in canada radiation spreads, so y'all would be affected as well

you think they would have shut that down after the cold war was done

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)