Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Umm... what system do you have in mind?

PS1 does not have USB ports, so that's out of the question.
PS2 has USB ports, but can only load PS2 games in that fashion. Furthermore it is limited to USB 1.1, even slower than PS2 DVD drive speed. PS2 games will stutter/slowdown if loaded in this fashion.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've searched it before and I believe it is impossible to get PS1 off USB. I'm very rusty on it but a tutorial on Open PS2 Loader should explain playing off USB

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason it wouldn't work with the PS2 is very simple, but also technical.

In a traditional, phat ps2, the controller chip that is responsible for the usb/firewire ports is in fact the same CPU (along with 2MB RAM) that ran the PS1. When a PS1 disc is inserted, the bootloader does some funky logic that turns off the EE and uses the GS for handling graphics, since the PS2's GS supercedes everything that the original PS1's graphics chip could do. It then is running off its MIPS chip for the primary. So, by that, ps1 games off usb on a ps2 won't work because the EE is turned off, along with the USB ports, for that compatibility.

I can't exactly explain it for the neutered slim PStwo, since that one migrates everything to the EE, and melds the EE and GS together in the same silicon package... but I can only imagine that (with as lazy $ony is) they would engineer the revised hardware to behave similarly.

The software emulation for PS1 on a PS3 is the same, but is more accurate largely because the PS3 is so much more powerful to be able to handle things better. PS2 off external is not possible unless you maybe have a BC model in the first place... but PS1 should be more likely.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know Sony never removed PS1 CPU from PS2 Slim. That chip is responsible for PS1 BC, DVD drive, Ethernet port, and USB ports I/Os.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was my understanding, and knowledge, that as a cost-cutting measure for the PStwo slim (opposed to the PS2 proper), Sony...
  • Axed off the MIPS chip and relegated its functionality into the revised EE/GS singular chip
  • Which in turn moved PS1 BC on a PS2 from full hardware to software...
  • And because PS1 games played slow or glitchy at the original clock speed...
  • ... the EE was overclocked to compensate
Which introduced a lot of errata that included breaking a lot of high profile games, like Final Fantasy VII on PS1, and even PS2 games that had used some undocumented functionality or really strained the PS2 silicon, like how infamously the first release of the PStwo slim could barely play GTA San Andreas, if it could even play it at all. Most video capture shots I'd seen from users at the time showed awful graphics corruption, if the game could even start in the first place.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some changes were indeed made to the design, but the backwards compatibility was never full-on hardware as not all games were compatible with the PlayStation 2. I'm assuming that the reason why PS1 games cannot be loaded from the HDD bay or from USB is because the hardware that controls those peripherals is simply busy pretending to be PS1 hardware, making the matter pretty tricky. This is why ps2psxe was developed, which is hardly an ideal solution, but it does the job in some cases. If you have any resources on what changes were made in revisions of the motherboards, I'd love to have a read codezer0 - that'd shed some light on the matter.

tl;dr The only way to get USB/HDD loading to work is to use ps2psxe and emulate the PS1 which is hit and miss - some games will work perfectly fine, some will chug or glitch. Go on ahead and experiment with that as it's your only non-disc-based solution.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It was my understanding, and knowledge..
Do you have any factual source on this? Everywhere I read PS2 Slim still carries original PS1 CPU as I/O processor. You are the only one who claimed Sony removed the chip on PS2 Slim.

Furthermore I can play FFVII just fine on my SCPH-79001. PS1 game played on PS2 does not upscale, still rendered at 240p.

And what is this GTA San Andreas problem on PS2 Slim? I know a lot of people have this problem, not just PS2 Slim, but PS2 FAT too. Many occasion their problems comes down to scratched disc or lens.

Like Foxi4 have said though, even original PS2 FAT have problem with some PS1 titles, despite much of the hardware from PS1 was included.

Same thing with PS3 FAT, despite EE and GS chips PS2 were included, some PS2 games do have glitches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ompatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try finding it again, but I can't count on it... my google-fu isn't the best, and the site was linked on a site meant for a now-defunct modchip, so it might be lost in internet history.

I just know I haven't seen one with the same kinda depth as this one for the PS1 in quite a while. One thing I do remember pretty well with the slimline model was the fact that despite the obvious physical inability to install a hard drive internally, someone enterprising enough with electronics found the connectors to plug a hard drive in were still responding... but the whole process to re-enable that functionality required the installation of a DMS4 Pro, which already had an obnoxious amount of soldering needed to be done.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Only earliest PS2 Slim, SCPH-7000x, has IDE circuitry left behind that Sony forgot to remove. In that instance you can solder an IDE connector and it'll behave like a PS2 FAT HDD.

For all other Slims, you have HD Pro which requires to be used in addition to a modchip. In this instance HDD operates more like an ODE that PS2 FAT HDD. You cannot play FFXI in this way, because from PS2 perspective it doesn't see the HDD.

DMS4Pro is solderless, but the least reliable modchip for PS2.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some changes were indeed made to the design, but the backwards compatibility was never full-on hardware as not all games were compatible with the PlayStation 2.

You can have it be full on hardware and still not achieve 100% perfect compatibility. Hell, sometimes a certain hardware revision won't even work with some older games right on that same system. But PS2 definitely uses PSX hardware, not software, to do BC. PS3 on the other hand does PSX BC in software, and it's a quite noticeable difference in how it comes out unlike when you compare a PS2 to a PS2 slim (which come out identically in my experience).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying