Rumor: Official flash cards for downloading Game B

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people have a hard time thinking that this could actually happen.

it wasn't that long ago that nintendo actually sold flash carts for the super famicom and you purchased games in lawson's and 7-11 in japan. you purchased the cart and could load upwards of 6 games on the cartridge (depending on game size) and could then have the cartridge erased and reloaded with other titles for a small percentage of what full priced games cost (back then).

nintendo offered many older back-catalogue titles as well as a few that were exclusive to the download program (like nintendo picross vols. 1-7). in fact, I've still got the one that I had a friend purchase in japan for me.

i'm glad someone knew about this. they did this with gameboy too ... my oldest kid still has his official Gameboy flashcart. (he's full japanese, from my wife's first marriage)

P

pasc

Still, if that card would have a flashmemory Nintendo could make channels and stuff like they did for the Wii, that´d be awesome ! They don´t have to support hombrew/piracy if they make the card flashchip (internal Ram) based an restrict the users to only specific file typs with a buffer overflow check.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Everyone seems to be assuming that you could copy roms to and from this thing. All nintendo need to have done, is make the cart writable only from the ds, using some sort of download from the nintendo server (the same one used for multiplayer). The firmware on the cart would connect to the server, download the game, save it on (probably small) flash and run it. There is no need for people to assume this would be difficult or stupid. the Wii virtual console is working fine, no one has managed to hack it, nobody is running pirated oldskool roms on their Wii (in Wii mode) Nintendo should manage similar success on the DS, they know how.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed they said GB games. I would've been a lot more impressed if it was NES/SNES. If that was the case I would NOT hesitate buying the cart. Bug-free Chrono Trigger/ZAMN/SMB/Alladin on my DS? Dream come true!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY