Rumor: Official flash cards for downloading Game B

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they did this I would personally love Nintendo with my mouth and then stop when I see the price of the games.

moggymatt

Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
my friend sitting next to me just came up with an idea. would people go for an anual subscription, where you could download and play as many games as you wanted. My point was do you get to keep the downloads or would they be temp.

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be rather slow to d/l it off ds wifi...possibly more plausible if you bought it on the wii and transferred it through sd or through d/l play

moggymatt

Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country
It might be rather slow to d/l it off ds wifi...possibly more plausible if you bought it on the wii and transferred it through sd or through d/l play

I still think they should release the kiosk demo's for the DS via the Wii. It's completely within their power, I can't see why they don't (apart from hosting cost? surly can't be that much) and the Wii/DS are totally capable with the task, its only going to be using the Wii as a softAP, much like a kiosk. It would widen the marketing of both consoles and games.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This means possible SNES games on the NDS too?
Maybe they'll be able to download channels and shit like the Wii does?
That'd be sweet.
But, rumors, ya never can rely on them
frown.gif

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that this is a silly idea.
Think about it. How do you justify pirating roms? You say that your flash cart is only used for homebrew.
If nintendo created a cart for homebrew, your excuse for pirating ROMS is pointless right? Buy Nintendos Flash cart if you want homebrew. If you aren;t pirating ROMS, you have no excuse for owning a flashcart that can.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Think about it. How do you justify pirating roms? You say that your flash cart is only used for homebrew.
If nintendo created a cart for homebrew, your excuse for pirating ROMS is pointless right? Buy Nintendos Flash cart if you want homebrew. If you aren;t pirating ROMS, you have no excuse for owning a flashcart that can.

No company would ever support homebrew, warranties would be meaningless. There has never been and probably never will be a company that will support homebrew. You can verify official software but what are they going to do about homebrew? It's released on the internet free for people to download, and any one of those homebrews can be brickers. The support calls would be hell.

Edit: now that I've thought about it a bit more... I still believe they won't support hoembrew, too big of a hassle. Of course this is Nintendo, so who knows. The part about downloading GB/GBC games like Virtual Console is great however. I would love to play old games on my DS. Even better if they had SNES support. I would definitely pay. Even if someone managed to pirate the games (because you know they always do) I would still buy them. What's a better way to support Nintendo and retro games?

moggymatt

Trophies
Website
ds-scene.net
XP
Country

No company would ever support homebrew, warranties would be meaningless. There has never been and probably never will be a company that will support homebrew. You can verify official software but what are they going to do about homebrew? It's released on the internet free for people to download, and any one of those homebrews can be brickers. The support calls would be hell.

Edit: now that I've thought about it a bit more... I still believe they won't support hoembrew, too big of a hassle. Of course this is Nintendo, so who knows. The part about downloading GB/GBC games like Virtual Console is great however. I would love to play old games on my DS. Even better if they had SNES support. I would definitely pay. Even if someone managed to pirate the games (because you know they always do) I would still buy them. What's a better way to support Nintendo and retro games?

iritegood you've got it spot on there
wink.gif

duh, like ninty would support homerew!
doh1zu1.gif

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand

Shouldn't be too slow to download gameboy games on to the DS as they are pretty small (0-2MB) and I remember reading on a thread in here that the DS can handle a max of 2Mb/s (Megabits) (one of those annoying "is it possible to port bittorrent to ds?" threads) But homebrew dev. haven't found how to get these speeds yet so the wifi is rather slow.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people have a hard time thinking that this could actually happen.

it wasn't that long ago that nintendo actually sold flash carts for the super famicom and you purchased games in lawson's and 7-11 in japan. you purchased the cart and could load upwards of 6 games on the cartridge (depending on game size) and could then have the cartridge erased and reloaded with other titles for a small percentage of what full priced games cost (back then).

nintendo offered many older back-catalogue titles as well as a few that were exclusive to the download program (like nintendo picross vols. 1-7). in fact, I've still got the one that I had a friend purchase in japan for me.

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, no company would, especially Sony...wait...they did.
lecture.gif

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

Yeah, no company would, especially Sony...wait...they did.
lecture.gif

No they don't

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, no company would, especially Sony...wait...they did.Â
lecture.gif

So has M$ on the 360. There is a huuuuge difference between what sony (I assume you refer to yaroze) and m$ have provided for homebrew access, and the essentially unrestricted homebrew access like what we enjoy with modchips and devices like what are currently available 3rd party for the DS.

Every console maker could support homebrew, the question comes when you consider how useful it would actually be; they would have to strip access to anything that could damage the system intentionally or unintentionally, and secure it (using up already limited system resources to police whatever is running) so it does not provide a way "in" for unrestricted/unsecured access at the same time.

No they don't
Look up yaroze, ps2 linux or even yellow dog linux. Indeed, Sony has.

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't really see it happening, especially if they've got this new demo channel coming for the Wii. If you think about it, do you think the average person would be interested? Older games maybe, but not really homebrew...

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think this will happen. Even if it will, I'll probably not use it. I have the games that I like original for my old Gameboy Color and Advance. Why buy them again?

On top of that: it would probably be impossible to transfer the games. And that's the reason I bought only one VC-game: if I buy another Wii in the future or a DS Lite instead of my DS Phat I won't be able to use my bought games!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: