The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
nYJpU.jpg

Microsoft plans to launch two very different versions of the next Xbox, according to a Digital Foundry report on GamesIndustry.biz.

The first is described as a "pared down machine" to be released as cheaply as possible. It is likened to a set-top box, and will act as a Kinect-themed gaming portal.

The second is a "more fully-featured machine" with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility. This would be aimed at hardcore gamers and released at a higher price-point.

Kinect, Digital Foundry has heard, will be bundled with both SKUs.

Not the current Kinect, the Kinect 2.

Also:

Next-generation talk has ramped up in recent weeks, with Edge reporting that the next Xbox will launch late next year.

Digital Foundry believes this is unlikely, however, suggesting a 2013 launch. The console is rumoured to be set for a reveal at E3 2012.

Edge claimed Ubisoft Montreal is currently developing software using "target boxes" - PCs containing off-the-shelf components provided by Microsoft - and that true dev kits will be available before the end of the year. The report added that a number of other developers also have the target boxes, including a number of EA studios.

French site Xboxygen reported that Microsoft plans to unveil its next console at the CES show in Las Vegas in January 2012.

Source.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Am I the only one who read the title as 'Minecraft'? lol :P

OT: I can't really see this improving sales dramatically, Xbox 360 is already quite far into it's lifespan and haven't they got enough versions of Xbox already?

Reactions: 5 people

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
OT: I can't really see this improving sales dramatically, Xbox 360 is already quite far into it's lifespan and haven't they got enough versions on Xbox already?
The next Xbox, not the 360. The Xbox720. The NextBox. The Xbox Loop. Next gen.

Reactions: 1 person

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Oooooh right, I thought they were doing a Ninty thing (like the new, compact Wii).

Well, this sounds like quite a cool idea then, especially from a marketing point of view as everyone is obviously going to want the one with all the features.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second is with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility

wait whut so the cheap version wont have optical drive :|

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think that if this is true, it will be a bit of a problem. The less enthused/casual players of the xbox will opt for the cheaper, more affordable console, and though that may initially be seen as a good idea, those are the people less likely to make full use of a entirely cloud based console (or at least thats how I have read and interpreted this article). The benefit of disc based media is that its a format that is more readily accessible to the majority of users, which is currently necessary to shift the numbers of games we need.

I could very well be far off with this, but its midnight for me, so cut me some slack. Haha.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The second is with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility

wait whut so the cheap version wont have optical drive :|
That would be an interesting move. Omitting an optical drive will make sense in the future, but right now most people want to buy their games in a store - especially if they aren't hardcore gamers. This will cause the same problems the PSP Go caused: people will buy the console with some games and then realize they can't play those games.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Unless mine eyes deceive me, they mean the cheap version won't have a hard drive or an optical disc drive? That's really weird. Why would you sell a version of your console without a disc drive? Even if all the Kinect games will be downloadable, you're still completely shutting off anyone with the cheaper model from playing proper games on their console.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That would be an interesting move. Omitting an optical drive will make sense in the future, but right now most people want to buy their games in a store - especially if they aren't hardcore gamers. This will cause the same problems the PSP Go caused: people will buy the console with some games and then realize they can't play those games.
The cheaper version is described as a "Kinect-themed gaming portal" which makes me think it will be aimed at casual gamers, and rely on the Xbox Marketplace for content. As such, the majority of games the target market will be interested in will be $1, 20MB little time wasters where you match cakes or cut fruit or launch birds. Thanks to the iStore and Android Market, download-only is already a familiar concept, and if Microsoft markets and explains the cheaper version and their online services in such a way, people will never consider buying physical copies for the console. The PSP Go is Sony's fault for telling people they would be able to transfer games they owned on UMDs to their Go.

And I'm sure Microsoft will have an optional (overpriced) external optical drive for those who wish to "upgrade" the cheap version.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

I think they should keep an optical drive in the cheap version. A DVD drive in the first SKU and a Bluray drive (or some other proprietary one) in the second.

I'm not so sure fragmenting the market like that is such a good idea, though. Don't want to confuse customers about which game runs on which system.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hate this kind of marketing. people hear "elite" and thats what they want. its the same machine! i have an "elite" and a "pro" there is no difference. from what i understand the arcade is a little different having more internal flash memory.

i will get one long after its release as i did with this gen. i'm glad i did wait since there are hacks for each machine i own.

will wait for haxx here as well.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All games would/should run on both if this happened just like they do on the current gen xboxes so to think any different would be dumb.The only difference I would see is maybe the hard drive size and possibly again like the current xbox the controllers and such.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
All games will run on both systems, but the larger games won't fit on the tiny built-in memory of the cheap model (more than one at a time, at least), so owners would have to buy the external HDD for tons of moneyz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-