1. cisadmyn

cisadmyn Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    The Switch Lite has the exact same SoC as the regular switch, which is capable of rendering docked mode graphics. It just physically can't because it doesn't have the hdmi hardware.

And besides the Tegra X1 is so old now, as shown with Switch V2s there are likely Die Shrinks or Energy/Performance optimizations that can still be done.

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Since we are talking about devices that look like the Switch.

Like making a portable only Switch?

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    those don't have nintendos exclusives though. that's what makes the switch worth getting. otherwise it's just another lame phone snap on to play fortnite :lol:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    We'd have to test them all individually to be sure, but I'd bet Switch Lite is using lower-binned chips which failed to hit the clock rate necessary for docked mode output. Which means Nintendo is still making a fair bit of profit at $200 each, because those chips would've just gone in the trash/recycling bin otherwise.

5. Pleng

Pleng Custom Title

Thailand
    While I agree with you, one could make the exact same argument about the Switch Lite. There's really no second guessing what crazy scheme Nintendo could come up with next.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  6. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Maniac

Portugal
    Yeah...so...uhm...I feel kind of bad saying this but..they released a Switch that doesn't Switch.

The Switch Lite.

So....yeah. There goes that hope.

Lodad likes this.
  7. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Tegra X2?
    Tegra 3?

or would thatbe overkill? :D

8. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Switch XL... or New Switch like the New 3DS.

Nvidia does have that refreshed X1 chip that is slightly faster. Maybe Nintendo will release an external GPU thing.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  9. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    I ,too, want my hands to burn.

10. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    I thought a modified Parker chip which cut power demand by almost half but I do hope they give an option to run in power save mode as well as boost mode to gain some extra battery life

11. Lodad

Lodad Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't know if you're referring to me, but I didn't claim it would be, just discussing how it could be practical (Also mentioned I was dreaming big and wishlisting).

As for VR, it would be cool if the switch family had the capability. High-end VR needs the pixel density on the display to mitigate screen door effects and a few people I know who own Valve Index initially complain about motion sickness. But if it weren't for the low-resolution Switch display, I'd say a traditional-style console designed around remote play AND as a base station for VR play would be pretty great. The more I think about that though, the more it sounds exactly how the Wii U was designed, minus VR.

12. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    As the chips are cheap, on a old technology node and are relatively slow then I'm not sure how much testing they'll be prepared to pay to speed bin them.

Doesn't the loading screen overclocking boost the standard OS supports, go to docked speeds in handheld mode anyway? Or does the switch lite not work the same?

13. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    so like a gba sp of sorts?

14. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Yea, this kinda sucks, at the same time I guess it's mean to make switch lite users wait but I have to kinda agree.

15. Immortallix

Immortallix Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I would like this as well, but the problem is devs these days make the text in games so small. A lot of games I have to pull a chair up in front of my tv to read. Super Neptunia & FE3H are really bad offenders, with the text still being quite small even when I'm holding the switch up to my face. An even smaller screen might just make text microscopic. Unless devs take it as a wake up call and start patching bigger text options into every game.

Pleng likes this.
  16. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Eye test mate plus check for some games as hav options changing txt size

17. Immortallix

Immortallix Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    :glare: Gee I never thought of that. I have glasses & an up to date prescription. Text in games have been getting smaller and most games don't have options for it. Most of the time when they do the difference still isn't very helpful.

18. HentaiHappy

HentaiHappy Member
    Newcomer

Japan
    What exactly are they gonna do? Bigger screen, resolution, OLED, battery life extend 1 extra hour? They already rolled out the new tegra chip as damage control. lol

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Further, reports, Switch