1. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes I know this, the point is, they aren't targeting 4k, they're targeting 1080, then scaling up.

The one benefit consoles have is they can squeeze alot out compared to pc, a good chunk of this is lost when you develop this way.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I actually suggested they were very likely to do this years ago. My theory was they would have Series X (unknown codename at the time) as top tier, and move Xbox One X down the stack.

Obviously it makes much more sense to make a new low tier system with the new hardware, as the CPU alone will be a huge improvement on the X and will be the same architecture as Series X.

I feel they may be in trouble, similar to Wii U, Xbox One S, box One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series X, and there will be another atleast.

Whist we will be comfortable discussing names abs specs, we are not the majority, the Wii U probed this.

I'm confident, Microsoft will promote the Series X alot better than Nintendo promotes the Wii U, but who knows?

After making huge progress the last few years, they are handing things to Sony again.

2. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Same architecture, very slightly lower frequency. Won't be a big deal to cause half the frame rates. This margin on cpu performance will likely be smaller than the performance gap between XSX and PS5.

The GPU in Lockhart will be the massive downgrade. One quarter the resolution at the same frame rates will be the result. I expect no other compromises, the same per pixel fidelity and graphic quality, same SSD with good loading times and asset streaming. It's going to be fine for those who don't need or can't afford 4k.

Last edited by Obveron, Jun 28, 2020
    PoiRan likes this.
  3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    i mean anyone that can aford a console can afford a 4k tv imo, really 4k tvs are very cheap, probably cheaper than ps5/series x on release prices lol, for like 400 or less you get a 4k tv nowadays.

4. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Except that you need to have enough room to have a 4k TV as you pretty much have to go 50 inches or larger to get 4k.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah, good luck with anyone wanting to bother at only 30fps. Are they going to use frameskipping (drawing every other or every third frame) as well?

mightymuffy likes this.
  5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    :lol: - That's a hilarious statement! You've just out-done your codding typos in one fell swoop!, I mean, wow, you can't even fathom the level of lunacy on show there, I just don't know where to start :P - basically you're just clutching at straws to try and have a pop at MS's strategy... Let's see in a couple of years time if they got it right or not with the number of sales ehh! If you're a poorer family (and there's more of those going round after recent events), in a smaller room that can't house a 4K, and see a 1080p focused console that apparently (I'm not really agreeing with it though) is gonna sell for as little as $200, and possibly produce similar results to the dearer machine on the same TV (and what about a kids bedroom setup??), what's the issue here?
    EDIT: Ack, ninja'd by nl255 hehe

Last edited by mightymuffy, Jun 28, 2020
  6. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You need to sit really close to large 4k screen to see the difference. But better frame rates, massive world fast asset streaming, and many other next gen features can be seen at 1080p just fine.

Someone with a high end 1080p TV, would be suffering a major downgrade with a $400 4k TV. And for what? To justify their $600 4k console?

A $300 1080p console that ticks all the other next gen boxes and suffers no other fidelity loss other than resolution will suit many buyers.

Your paranoia that it will hold back development potential is unfounded. The massive upgrade to cpu power and storage speed will be the common denominator here. Devs will target 4k resolution without compromises and without and hindrance. Meanwhile 1080p will run at the same framerates on Lockhart with only the smallest of development considerations. Heck most games now just have variable resolution anyways. Set it and forget it, the game runs on any GPU at the framerate target.

The biggest hinderence to development potential will be crossgen releases that need to run smoothly on the old jaguar cpu. I'm worried Microsoft will keep the old gen around too long.

7. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
  8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    only if you have a smaller tv
    [​IMG]

9. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    That chart indicates a 60" TV sit closer than 8 feet to notice detail above 1080p. Sit at 4 feet to see full 4k detail.

That's pretty close to a large screen.

10. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Even at 20ft I'd wager anyone with half decent eye sight would see a huge difference from 480p to 720p... Let alone 1080p and up. This chart is subjective at best.

11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    that's why you get a bigger tv :P

12. Supernova89

Supernova89 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    What would they call it the xbox one xxx

13. PogChampion369

Banned

United States
    Your clones are very impressive you must be very proud

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsoft, multiple, consoles