Leaked files suggest Microsoft is working on multiple Xbox Series X consoles

xboxsx.jpg
It's become customary for console makers to release multiple versions of the same console within their lifetime. However, next-gen consoles might be available in more than one flavor right at launch. The PS5 is already releasing in two versions, one with an optical drive and an all-digital one. Reports suggest that Microsoft is also working on more than one version of its Xbox Series X but with a different strategy from Sony's.

Today The Verge reported on Microsoft's multiple next-gen console plans. Their source "familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans" confirm a Lockhart profiling mode in dev kits. The latter refers to a second Xbox Series X console version, codenamed Lockhart, which is a less powerful but cheaper entry into next-gen gaming. The Lockhart profiling mode allows developers to toggle "Lockhart mode" and gauge how their games will perform on the weaker hardware, which is geared towards 1080p or 1440p gaming.

The Verge
's report also mentioned that Lockhart's specs include "7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance". For comparison, the known Xbox Series X (codenamed Anaconda) includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

Moreover, The Verge's claims are supported by a recently-leaked Game Development Kit release from June 2020 which mentions support for "AnacondaProfiling" and "LockhartProfiling" modes:

The leaked document also mentions Project Scarlett consoles, without specifying the number of these next-gen devices:

gdk leak.png
Given these leaks and Microsoft's silence on the issue, we should take the news with a pinch of salt before we get any official announcements. Until then, would you prefer the option of a cheaper next-gen Xbox?

:arrow: SOURCE

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I was more expecting something like Sony did, where there's a version with and without the optical drive. I'll be interested to see what the "cheaper" model includes when it's announced officially

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to get a choc-mint PlayStation 5, personally. Either that, or cookies&cream, or lemon-sorbet.
I'll take a strawberry-banana PS5 if you don't mind. here's my 499.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hear me out.
what if.
it's a portable.

but even if not, like, I've only just upgraded my tv to a 720p one.
I'm sure as balls not the only one that doesn't need 4k capability...
yeah thats probably the one that makes more sense. Microsoft hasnt ever put their foot into the portable gaming market, and with the recent success of the switch they might just try that out with the series x.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys Lockhart is going to have plenty of cpu power to play all the same next gen games at the same frame rates as XSX, but at 1080p.
4TF GPU is plenty for 1080p. Where this console will stand above X1X is CPU power. The X1X may have 6TF GPU to hit 4k, but its CPU is an ancient Jaguar that won't keep up to Lockhart and that's not even mentioning the old mechanical HDD.

When you realize how many 1080p screens are out there, a $600 12tf console doesn't make sense for many when you can get a $300 console that can keep up with next gen titles at 1080p.

Last edited by Obveron,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fine with this. For people with kids who want to play minecraft or the like, it'd be great for them to have their own dedicated console that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As long as it's like, 1/2 the price, I see this being a clever thing to do.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Multiple consoles at various price points makes sense. It's not just about just selling units, it's also about locking people into your ecosystem and having them pay your perpetually via subscriptions and brand loyalty. If you get an Xbox Series S and enjoy it, I'm sure the marking team at XBOX have a strategy to entice you to upgrade to the stronger console eventually despite you opting to be initially a more economical gamer.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hear me out.
what if.
it's a portable.

but even if not, like, I've only just upgraded my tv to a 720p one.
I'm sure as balls not the only one that doesn't need 4k capability...

I don't think its possible yet given that I dont think a process node. They'd have to double the processing power of last years 3400G to hit the graphics floating point operation mark, and that itself was a 65W part. AMD would need a ~20 CU part to roughly hit that performance (equivalent to the radeon pro vega 20 inside the 2018 MBP)

It would put it at roughly 1050/1050ti performance levels, but those were all in laptop form factors. I don't expect it to be handheld and obtain that power, else other almost PC like handheld companies like GPDWin would have went a similar route.

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are no more AAA games for the Xbox that not also come to PC. PC games are always highly scalable. They run on $500 PCs and also on $5000 PCs. Resolution, textures, shader effects down and everything runs fine. The CPU remains the same and the SSD makes the console "next gen".

In addition, the small Xbox should cost 199 (rumored).

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-lockhart-half-price-series-x/

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont like this idea. The beauty of a console was it had one spec devs could target and squeeze the most performance from their game. Now buying the best Xbox will mean games will most like be scaled back for the lower end model. So paying and extra $200-300 for the best system just means you get 4k instead of 1080p and some slightly better textures. The games will look a little better but they wont be using the FULL potential of the best Xbox.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
honestly I think it kinda makes sense, considering many of the consoles will be bought for kids rooms that would still be rocking a 720p/1080p screen you could easily look to take the win of the generation based on winning that room, once you win over that room the natural shift of the generation is generally decided within the first few months of a generation, whatever consoles picks up the initial lead will generally carry it through until the end....sure the kids might want a upgrade down the line for 4 K but once you have your customer base even with all the RROD fiasco with the 360 I know very few people who switched once they had bought in to their respective console except for people flipping the PS3 to get onboard the 360 bandwagon, same with the PS4 and XB1 once PS4 pulled ahead its pretty much game over

so yeah mass produce a cheaper version to keep supplies flowing at Christmas and price down for parents and you might just win that console war regardless of power, even if people are forced to upgrade later down the line, they are already committed to your ecosystem, thats not even factoring them in using their game streaming feature to at least give the facade of universal compatibility with all games on all their tiers of consoles at the point when devs start pushing the limits beyond that of the cheaper console, even Nintendo have been dipping their toes into that with the resident evil 7 on switch essentially just being game streaming.

Last edited by gamesquest1,

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no more AAA games for the Xbox that not also come to PC. PC games are always highly scalable. They run on $500 PCs and also on $5000 PCs. Resolution, textures, shader effects down and everything runs fine. The CPU remains the same and the SSD makes the console "next gen".

In addition, the small Xbox should cost 199 (rumored).

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-lockhart-half-price-series-x/
Lockhart launching at $199 ain’t happening, it’ll surely have the same high end SSD (compared to what’s currently available and affordable for PCs) that operates at the same speed as what’s found in the Series X, that’s $100 right there, easy... maybe more, and that’s not including the CPU/GPU costs.
Microsoft would have to take a tremendous, unprecedented loss if they were to sell Lockhart at that low of a price point. It’ll be like, $399, maybe $350 at best. Either way it’ll surely be cheaper than the all-digital PS5 due to the cutbacks being more significant than a simple disc drive being removed.

DarkraiPK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
imo it's like what nintendo did with the switch, only that in this case they will be releasing the full and "cheaper" lite version at the same time

p.s.: the xbox series x is still looking like a fridge, or i'm not updated?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Anybody here?