1. RyRyIV

RyRyIV Chicken Chaser
    Contributor

United States
    I was more expecting something like Sony did, where there's a version with and without the optical drive. I'll be interested to see what the "cheaper" model includes when it's announced officially

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    hear me out.
    what if.
    it's a portable.

but even if not, like, I've only just upgraded my tv to a 720p one.
    I'm sure as balls not the only one that doesn't need 4k capability...

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Jun 26, 2020
    DarkraiPK and PoiRan like this.
  3. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'll take a strawberry-banana PS5 if you don't mind. here's my 499.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

yeah thats probably the one that makes more sense. Microsoft hasnt ever put their foot into the portable gaming market, and with the recent success of the switch they might just try that out with the series x.

4. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Guys Lockhart is going to have plenty of cpu power to play all the same next gen games at the same frame rates as XSX, but at 1080p.
    4TF GPU is plenty for 1080p. Where this console will stand above X1X is CPU power. The X1X may have 6TF GPU to hit 4k, but its CPU is an ancient Jaguar that won't keep up to Lockhart and that's not even mentioning the old mechanical HDD.

When you realize how many 1080p screens are out there, a $600 12tf console doesn't make sense for many when you can get a $300 console that can keep up with next gen titles at 1080p.

Last edited by Obveron, Jun 26, 2020
  5. Shalashaska98

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Leaks are the new marketing. Unless it's leaking source code.

Wonder if they will have VR though

DarkraiPK likes this.
  6. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    I'm fine with this. For people with kids who want to play minecraft or the like, it'd be great for them to have their own dedicated console that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As long as it's like, 1/2 the price, I see this being a clever thing to do.

7. EmanueleBGN

EmanueleBGN GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    That's why it's called "series"

8. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Multiple consoles at various price points makes sense. It's not just about just selling units, it's also about locking people into your ecosystem and having them pay your perpetually via subscriptions and brand loyalty. If you get an Xbox Series S and enjoy it, I'm sure the marking team at XBOX have a strategy to entice you to upgrade to the stronger console eventually despite you opting to be initially a more economical gamer.

9. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think its possible yet given that I dont think a process node. They'd have to double the processing power of last years 3400G to hit the graphics floating point operation mark, and that itself was a 65W part. AMD would need a ~20 CU part to roughly hit that performance (equivalent to the radeon pro vega 20 inside the 2018 MBP)

It would put it at roughly 1050/1050ti performance levels, but those were all in laptop form factors. I don't expect it to be handheld and obtain that power, else other almost PC like handheld companies like GPDWin would have went a similar route.

10. Socke81

Socke81 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    There are no more AAA games for the Xbox that not also come to PC. PC games are always highly scalable. They run on $500 PCs and also on $5000 PCs. Resolution, textures, shader effects down and everything runs fine. The CPU remains the same and the SSD makes the console "next gen".

In addition, the small Xbox should cost 199 (rumored).

https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-lockhart-half-price-series-x/

11. MrShawnTRods

MrShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Their naming scheme is sure to confuse and annoy people lol.

It's like Microsofts gaming division and Sony's smartphone division have a competition to see who gives the worst and confusing product names..

DarkraiPK and Xzi like this.
  12. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Regular

Angola
    I will buy all of them

13. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    This can be summed up in one word.

No.

Actually, I don't even care about Xbox. Why am I here?!? :wacko:

14. Crazystato

Crazystato GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Could Lockhart just be the backwards compatibility mode for the console?

15. tranceology3

tranceology3 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I dont like this idea. The beauty of a console was it had one spec devs could target and squeeze the most performance from their game. Now buying the best Xbox will mean games will most like be scaled back for the lower end model. So paying and extra $200-300 for the best system just means you get 4k instead of 1080p and some slightly better textures. The games will look a little better but they wont be using the FULL potential of the best Xbox.

16. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
  17. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    *Red ring PTSD intensifies*

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

honestly I think it kinda makes sense, considering many of the consoles will be bought for kids rooms that would still be rocking a 720p/1080p screen you could easily look to take the win of the generation based on winning that room, once you win over that room the natural shift of the generation is generally decided within the first few months of a generation, whatever consoles picks up the initial lead will generally carry it through until the end....sure the kids might want a upgrade down the line for 4 K but once you have your customer base even with all the RROD fiasco with the 360 I know very few people who switched once they had bought in to their respective console except for people flipping the PS3 to get onboard the 360 bandwagon, same with the PS4 and XB1 once PS4 pulled ahead its pretty much game over

so yeah mass produce a cheaper version to keep supplies flowing at Christmas and price down for parents and you might just win that console war regardless of power, even if people are forced to upgrade later down the line, they are already committed to your ecosystem, thats not even factoring them in using their game streaming feature to at least give the facade of universal compatibility with all games on all their tiers of consoles at the point when devs start pushing the limits beyond that of the cheaper console, even Nintendo have been dipping their toes into that with the resident evil 7 on switch essentially just being game streaming.

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 27, 2020
  19. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lockhart launching at $199 ain’t happening, it’ll surely have the same high end SSD (compared to what’s currently available and affordable for PCs) that operates at the same speed as what’s found in the Series X, that’s $100 right there, easy... maybe more, and that’s not including the CPU/GPU costs.
    Microsoft would have to take a tremendous, unprecedented loss if they were to sell Lockhart at that low of a price point. It’ll be like, $399, maybe $350 at best. Either way it’ll surely be cheaper than the all-digital PS5 due to the cutbacks being more significant than a simple disc drive being removed.

20. DarkraiPK

DarkraiPK Newbie
    Newcomer

Venezuela
    imo it's like what nintendo did with the switch, only that in this case they will be releasing the full and "cheaper" lite version at the same time

p.s.: the xbox series x is still looking like a fridge, or i'm not updated?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsoft, multiple, consoles