1. 12,154

Front-page
    fb-switch-1280x720.jpg

The reports claiming that a "Switch Pro", or at least a more powerful Nintendo Switch console will eventually release have been floating around since early 2018. At first, the Wall Street Journal was the initial reputable source to make such a certain statement, claiming both a budget-minded and "improved model" of Switch were in production, to which the Switch Lite and more power-efficient "Mariko" Switch released a short time later. Since then, fans have been clamoring for a Switch that can play games at higher framerates and resolutions. The rumor mill is cranking out yet another bit of tantalizing promise for eager Switch owners to latch onto: a revision sporting an OLED screen and 4K docked output is on the way.

Bloomberg's Takashi Mochizuki, who previously predicted both the Mariko model revision and the smaller Switch Lite, is now saying that Nintendo is planning to announce a bigger, better Switch console later this year, with a release date that will be in time for the holiday season. The report claims that Samsung is currently working on mass-producing 7-inch 720p OLED screens, which will be shipped out around July, and that news of this production likely means Nintendo is aiming to use them in their improved Switch system. Bloomberg's source also stated that not only will the new Switch come with OLED, but it will also feature 4K resolution when docked. The article didn't mention any possible hardware changes that would be used to power such a high-resolution output.

It seems we'll have to wait just a little longer to see if this rumor comes true.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (170 replies)

3. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm sure it'll come out on the same day as Mother 3 HD, Persona 5 Switch edition, Star Fox Grand Prix, Pokemon Stars, and Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

CallmeBerto, Henx, rimoJO and 39 others like this.
  4. XAIXER

XAIXER Kaiser Supremissimus

Canada
    As with all tech rumours, I'll believe it when I see it!

5. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    If I had a penny for every time I've heard the words "Switch Pro"...

AboodXD, PokeNev, Henx and 27 others like this.
  6. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    The only way they could hit 4K docked when it's still only capable of 720p portable is if the dock contains its own GPU. Then again, odds are just as good that the rumors are only referring to 4K video output, not necessarily the resolution games will run at. And the third possibility is that it's 1200p or so and upscaled.

7. BitMasterPlus

BitMasterPlus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here's to the next iteration of the Switch: The Ultra Mega Powerful Evolution Switch Plus Pro Giga!

8. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Nintendo need to ditch the switch as its main console and have it replace the 3ds.

Nintendo need a new console to try remain in the market with the new next gens, but we know that wont happen, itlle be a sup par last gen with gimmicks, so devs cant push its new content, leaving nintendo to dominate with its own recycled titles (if not old ports like the switch), and third parties are limited to porting the 7 years of games nintendo failed to get due to lacking hardware... bore.

I can see them doing another revision of the switch to block out xecuters mod chips.

But i cant see a pro switch working unless it offers better storage, as the cart and download has to support older models and the pro been "superior" will require larger carts (which proven is expensive and devs push users to download the rest of the game files), but if its got higher textures ect, the switch has a measly 32gb storage and you cant expect to pass that increased cost to the gamer as they already have done on the normal models for basic crappy ports.

9. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    Don't forget F-Zero: "We've remembered it exist" special edition

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    It's codename is "Aula".

They could easily crank out Switches with 128GB of built-in storage now for the same price as the 32GB back in 2017. That keeps me hopeful. Or if they give it 256 internal, then I could forgive them ditching the SD card entirely to curtail hacking.

Last edited by Jayro, Mar 4, 2021
  11. Sansgaming420

Sansgaming420 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Switch Pro will
    This is real, had a dream about it.

12. CeeDee

CeeDee art by @x65943

United States
    Ditching external storage at all is kind of an icky prospect, hacking or not. No thanks, please.

Scott_pilgrim, Henx, Amadren and 11 others like this.
  13. Xzi

United States
    Yeah no amount of internal space would be enough...the last thing Nintendo wants people to do is stop buying games because they're out of storage space. I buy physical for 90% of my Switch games, and I'm still almost out of space using a 256GB mSD.

14. Jayro

Developer

United States
    I've only got a 128GB card in mine, and the 32GB internal is mostly empty. My card is about 80% full of game saves and update data, and I have over 34 games, 27 of which are physical. I'm not even worried about running out of space to be honest.

Scott_pilgrim, seseiSeki and Xzi like this.
  15. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Sd storage was cheap back then, but nintendo passed it to the consumer.

Cheap hardware, as low as possible costs, add gimmick and new console price range.

Prints money.

Id love nintendo to go back to when they were the suprior hardware, but problem is, they dont like others making games that will reduce their sales.

I mean, unless your a die hard fan that claims theyve not had the chance to play these games dating back to ps2 and older.

Or the fact nintendo have ported all its old titles rather than new.

Would you pick a game you already own or can buy for less or a new fresh game you havent played before.

Notice how nintendo in game shops used to fill shelves, now its litrally one row of a shelf.

But regardless of storage, if a pro did exist, it will need larger internal storage as proven already the carts are too expensive.

Nintendo need a console, disc based and hope to god they dont rely on first time adding actual internal storage as a hdd when everyone knows ssd is superior, if only they put money in rather than use gimmicks to take money out.

As the fans claim theyre innovative, are they fuck, they use cheap old inferior hardware.

Last edited by Retroboy, Mar 4, 2021
    Y0shII and PokeNas like this.
  16. Xzi

United States
    I'm guessing Switch isn't your primary gaming platform though, just as it isn't mine. There's probably at least a terabyte of good games on the eShop, it's just that I wouldn't want to play most of them at 30 FPS or less.

Scott_pilgrim, MAXLEMPIRA and Chary like this.
  17. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    The dock wouldn't need its own GPU for the Switch to be able to output 4K considering that it's Nintendo and current games barely even target 1080p. A modern SoC upgrade would definitely be able to support the 4K video standard, but only in the fashion of the Xbox One S where it runs at native 4K for some video applications, while all the games are just stretched to fit the 4K screen while still running entirely at 1080p.

Last edited by Orangy57, Mar 4, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  18. cashboxz01

cashboxz01 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Let me be the first to say this: The current switch display sucks. Anyone who has used OLED displays for gaming knows how bad the display on the switch is. the colors are all washed out. I dock the switch and play it on my LG C9 and it's like being in heaven.

Btw the same goes for GBC games...They look that much better on the Vita, they look so much better, and exactly how colorful GBC games were meant to look.

PokeNas, Scott_pilgrim, ds34 and 2 others like this.
  19. Jayro

Developer

United States
    My Switch games aren't washed out on my Switch screen, maybe your screen is of lower quality.

And for Gameboy Color games, I prefer this:
    20210216_100249.jpg

Over this:
    2892screenshot1.jpg

Any day of the week.

Baromo, Wavy, 6513893 and 8 others like this.
  20. cashboxz01

cashboxz01 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I guess it comes down to personal preference. Some parts of some games probably do look better in LCD. But overall, I hate looking at Pikachu in pale yellow vs vivid yellow. Same for Mario in pale red vs vivid red. Playing Mario Kart 8 on my LG C9 makes me feel spoiled. Definitely feels heck of a lot better than playing in handheld mode, and the colors look heck of a lot better for that game.

21. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I was fixing to buy the red switch but after reading this I am going to hold off in hopes the switch pro or what ever they are going to call it comes out because I would like to have it over what is out now, I am still gonna buy them zelda joycons if they ever get back in stock.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Bloomberg, [RUMOR], planned