[RUMOR] Activision is butthurt about Blops 2 on WiiU

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like anyone buys a Nintendo console for third parties, let's be honest. People buy them for Nintendo games and they sell because of Nintendo games.

In Japan they get a few odd exclusives (like, I dunno Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles) that sell it a bit but in general it sells because of Nintendo games.

Like Call of Duty may have "done well" on the Wii but it's still dwarfed in comparison to every other console.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Devs have only had devkits for 6 months, that coupled with lack of Nintendo's own titles because of the too early release date obviously has resulted in poor sales, which in turn doesn't attract developers to the system. 3rd parties won't be able to make the market grow initially, it's up to Nintendo to do that as proven with the 3DS and 3rd party Japanese developers.

Once the market has grown and the developers feel that they can invest more money on Wii U projects the attach rate will grow to an amount that's more than enough to justify more multiplats. Well that is if Nintendo can pull themselves out of this once again in the first place. The Wii U may not end up having the highest attachrate but it's still a sizable profit especially if you as a publisher want to squeeze the most out of your game.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...Or maybe Nintendo should have made a platform that's better to develop for or just not have an obnoxious controller that forces "optimization"?

I just find it a little spoiled to say "THEY SHOULD HAVE OPTIMIZED IT MORE". They're developing for 3 other platforms, the Wii U in no way takes priority. Be thankful you got the game honestly because they easily could have just cut it and they'd probably be better off.

EDIT: For the record I also find the say claim obnoxious of some PC players. Games are developed for multiple platforms, don't expect every developer to go out of their way for one platform and dump all this extra money on making it a bit shinier. I can't remember the last time someone cried about a game not being "Xbox 360 optimized" or "PS3 optimized". And both platforms have gotten shit ports.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Developers using the piss ass excuse that "the CPU isn't powerful enough" are thinking too linear with their coding, and don't want to bother utilizing the hardware that is being given to them. If they don't want to optimize games for the Wii U because it has a more powerful GPU then the PS3 and 360, that is their problem, not Nintendo's. If they don't want to use the controller because it is different from what the generic run of the mill consoles are using, that is their problem, again, not Nintendo's problem. It's very easy to just say "we don't want to develop for this platform because we don't like having to utilize a different control scheme", but it makes you look like a fucking lazy prick when you either release a game that is poorly done, or runs badly on a more powerful platform then other versions of the game. The Wii U dominates the PS3 and 360 for graphics capabilities, developers just want to use the same mantra of making games for it as they do for the PS3 and 360, thus Wii U games haven't run properly. See, even though the PS3 and 360 have higher clocked processors, the Wii U has a graphics chip that can more then make up for the slightly slower clock speeds on the processor. If 3rd party studios don't want to make the adjustments to optimize the GPGPU, that is their own damn fault, but Nintendo has already shown in tech demos and games already out on the market that the Wii U is more powerful then the current competition.

Also, games have been optimized for the 360 and PS3, since most multiplatform games are designed for those systems since they have a larger install base then gaming PC's do. PC games are pretty poorly optimized and require patching in order to fix, or in a lot of cases, user created mods, to play them properly. If you want to see a prime example of a game that was absolutely shit at release for the PC, Dark Souls is a great one. Locked resolutions, horrible controls that required you to use a controller, rather then allowing users to customize the layout to suit their needs. Sure, you can argue that the game works best with a controller, and it does, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the game was locked at resolutions far below HD, and the game looked like complete balls until someone made a fix that unlocked resolutions and it fixed the textures and scaling, but the game still doesn't look at all like other PC games that were properly developed graphics wise.

Oh, and Skyrim was never optimized for the PS3, people still whine about how poorly done it was and in typical Bethesda fashion, they don't fix the crap they release, the PC version is still riddled with bugs too.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Devs have only had devkits for 6 months, that coupled with lack of Nintendo's own titles because of the too early release date obviously has resulted in poor sales, which in turn doesn't attract developers to the system. 3rd parties won't be able to make the market grow initially, it's up to Nintendo to do that as proven with the 3DS and 3rd party Japanese developers.

I am pretty sure developers have had kits since as early as January of last year, however Nintendo was constantly updating them as they tweaked the console for release and settled on hardware that worked. They should have held off releasing the Wii U until well into 2013, it would have made for a more ideal situation in terms of the content being provided by both them and 3rd party studios. It doesn't make sense to release a system where you are only releasing one or two core games and a whole bunch of ports. Honestly, sometimes I think the Wii U as a console might be a bad idea, because Nintendo is going to get decimated for performance by Sony and Microsoft, even if it alienates their customer base and the prices are insane for their systems, 3rd parties are going to be all over making new, super high resolution games that compete with the PC and allow for them to make games for those 3 platforms at a higher level then what the Wii U is capable of. And to be honest, I'd hate to see Nintendo suffer the whole watered down ports scenario. I suppose if the Wii U will be able to run Unreal Engine 3, then maybe Nintendo is safe for a few years, it seems that the Unreal Engine 2 has a pretty damn long life span and was widely adopted by studios.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I am pretty sure developers have had kits since as early as January of last year, however Nintendo was constantly updating them as they tweaked the console for release and settled on hardware that worked. They should have held off releasing the Wii U until well into 2013, it would have made for a more ideal situation in terms of the content being provided by both them and 3rd party studios. It doesn't make sense to release a system where you are only releasing one or two core games and a whole bunch of ports. Honestly, sometimes I think the Wii U as a console might be a bad idea, because Nintendo is going to get decimated for performance by Sony and Microsoft, even if it alienates their customer base and the prices are insane for their systems, 3rd parties are going to be all over making new, super high resolution games that compete with the PC and allow for them to make games for those 3 platforms at a higher level then what the Wii U is capable of. And to be honest, I'd hate to see Nintendo suffer the whole watered down ports scenario. I suppose if the Wii U will be able to run Unreal Engine 3, then maybe Nintendo is safe for a few years, it seems that the Unreal Engine 2 has a pretty damn long life span and was widely adopted by studios.
Most devkits have been unusable until just a few months ago according to interviews and Nintendo themselves, Japanese developers are the only ones who have gotten priorities with devkit support.
And yes it can already run UE3 and if devs are willing to invest in Wii U development it will be able to run most if not all multiplats with mostly trivial differences, it will run the engines required unlike the Wii, with the visual quality lowered, but it's not like it will be "ugly" or "unbearable" like with many Wii multiplats.
The Wii was completely different system against its competition, however the architecture of the Wii U is the same as the PS4, GPU and CPU on the same chip, GPGPU, same disk speeds etc. it will only require some tweaking to run it like changing the low, medium and high settings in a PC game because of this.

Nintendo said before the PS4 reveal that their competition is close on an architectural level which is why they don't feel that people need to worry about hearing the same developer excuses we heard last gen. Ports are bad now because of that architectural gap between the more modern and the 6 year old hardware. That difference essentially means rewriting the engine and your game code to take advantage of it. Nintendo can't just release a platform that accommodates and replicates those old standard development environments if they want to move forwards in the industry.

And it's understandable that devs don't want to throw themselves in unknown waters when investing in platform optimizations. Nintendo needs to pull their shit together and move more units with their own titles, it's their fault for not securing a sizable and reliable market for the Wii U yet.

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry, but I completely disagree. Developers using the piss ass excuse that "the CPU isn't powerful enough" are thinking too linear with their coding, and don't want to bother utilizing the hardware that is being given to them. If they don't want to optimize games for the Wii U because it has a more powerful GPU then the PS3 and 360, that is their problem, not Nintendo's. If they don't want to use the controller because it is different from what the generic run of the mill consoles are using, that is their problem, again, not Nintendo's problem. It's very easy to just say "we don't want to develop for this platform because we don't like having to utilize a different control scheme", but it makes you look like a fucking lazy prick when you either release a game that is poorly done, or runs badly on a more powerful platform then other versions of the game. The Wii U dominates the PS3 and 360 for graphics capabilities, developers just want to use the same mantra of making games for it as they do for the PS3 and 360, thus Wii U games haven't run properly. See, even though the PS3 and 360 have higher clocked processors, the Wii U has a graphics chip that can more then make up for the slightly slower clock speeds on the processor. If 3rd party studios don't want to make the adjustments to optimize the GPGPU, that is their own damn fault, but Nintendo has already shown in tech demos and games already out on the market that the Wii U is more powerful then the current competition.

Also, games have been optimized for the 360 and PS3, since most multiplatform games are designed for those systems since they have a larger install base then gaming PC's do. PC games are pretty poorly optimized and require patching in order to fix, or in a lot of cases, user created mods, to play them properly. If you want to see a prime example of a game that was absolutely shit at release for the PC, Dark Souls is a great one. Locked resolutions, horrible controls that required you to use a controller, rather then allowing users to customize the layout to suit their needs. Sure, you can argue that the game works best with a controller, and it does, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the game was locked at resolutions far below HD, and the game looked like complete balls until someone made a fix that unlocked resolutions and it fixed the textures and scaling, but the game still doesn't look at all like other PC games that were properly developed graphics wise.

Oh, and Skyrim was never optimized for the PS3, people still whine about how poorly done it was and in typical Bethesda fashion, they don't fix the crap they release, the PC version is still riddled with bugs too.
I always laugh when people say professional developers are lazy, as if they are sitting in their lounge room coding these things. It's not like they are limited to time frames or budgets or anything.

Most devkits have been unusable until just a few months ago according to interviews and Nintendo themselves, Japanese developers are the only ones who have gotten priorities with devkit support.
Source? I don't quite believe that games such as zombie U, AC3 and Blops were blind coded and shipped without anyway to test their code.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
The OP asked for it to be deleted after A_Trey_U (wii u dev) said it was fake.

A_TREY_U isn't at all a wiiu Dev; he is COD.com's wiiu thread mod, and doesn't have anything to offer past the news he is asked to pass on..

Example :

Wii U DLC Posts/Threads

Posted by A_Trey_U on Feb 28, 2013 3:06 PM
Hello Wii U Community,

I know many of you are curious about whether or not DLC for Black Ops 2 will be coming to the Wii U. Unfortunately, we do not have any information that we can share at this time.

In order to keep this forum productive, we will continue to lock threads that are started to inquire about DLC on the Wii U as they are considered spam. Also, any threads that evolve into a DLC discussion may also be locked.

Thank you for your understanding.

A_Trey_U

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A_TREY_U?
atreyu_D.png

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamesutra? Okay.

console-tie-ratios-sep-08.png

Even after 23 months you can see that it's the worst platform for third-party out of the three.

Oh, by the way...

Sales Thread. Gotta love those.

I wonder what the numbers would look like if you adjusted them for the install base... If a console sells 100 million units and the attach rate is 5:1 an VS a console that sells say 75 million units and the attach rate is 6:1... It's ok to have a lower attach rate if your selling more software overall in the big picture.

This also says a lot about the quality of Nintendo's first party software, Microsoft is the only other publisher that is even close... Halo probably single handedly representing that 1.4 lol

My point being is that you can look at those numbers from several different view points, on the Sony side of things... Are you trying to say that Sony's IP is so weak that they can't even sell a single copy to every PS3 owner? That's rough...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Source? I don't quite believe that games such as zombie U, AC3 and Blops were blind coded and shipped without anyway to test their code.
V5 of the development kit was shipped 6 months ago, the devs didn't have much freedom in the earlier versions and were pretty much developing in an environment without knowing how the final hardware was going to be.
"This time does not come until a final version of the hardware and development tools for the version have been made available and then a base for software development has been established."

"For Wii U, such a time finally came in the latter half of last year. In this sense, we could not avoid the trial and error stage to create games which take full advantage of the hardware. I think that this is true for third-party software developers as well as Nintendo's." -
Iwata

Basically why current Wii U software haven't reached a next gen level yet. Iwata has also said that they'll most likely will double the graphical standard of today with the Wii U.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I think a bit of everyone (not just Wii U players) is getting sick of CoD games. I own all of them (yes even 1 & 2) and they are all the same. If they don't switch it up and take a chance or two then it will end up just like Guitar Hero, fun but all the same. I did notice on Miiverse that the servers are all screwed up but calm down guys there will be another CoD this year, next year, year after that, they will get the servers right eventually.
I also noticed people on forums and reviews complaining about ridiculous things on great games, for example I just recently picked up my Wii U and almost did not buy Zombie U due to complaints but decided to pick it up and I F*CKING LOVE that game! The graphics may be a bit dated and the cricket bat kinda sucks but its a awesome game with a great formula.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.