Hacking Rom trimming? Should I do it?

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I was wondering if it is worth trimming my roms. Are there any disadvantages to trimming roms? Thanks for the help in advance. got the dstwo for christmas.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering if it is worth trimming my roms. Are there any disadvantages to trimming roms? Thanks for the help in advance. got the dstwo for christmas.
It really depends on the available space on your microSD card. If you have a decent amount of space to spare, I suposse it'd be a waste of your time. However, I know of no disadvantage to trimming ROMs, so you my as well do so.

Given that I can buy a 32GB card for 15$ where I live, space shouldn't really be a problem, but there's no harm in trimming.

NOTE: You might need to have the original untrimmed version of a ROM if you want to apply some kind of patch (i.e. translation) to it.

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Thanks, I have a 32gb class 10. I don't need to patch/translate any of my roms so I trimmed them. I saved about .5gb on 2gb of roms. Thanks for clearing this up for me. It saved space on my backupdrive too. I have about 50gb of ds roms. I trimmed them (took under 1 minute) and I saved 10gb lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah.

Trimming them on a card. No downsides as you gain some space back, in some cases you can even gain quite a bit for a single ROM (whatever the compressed size is in a basic zip/rar it is probably not going to be that far off).

Trimming them on your hard drive. Assuming you have stuck them in zip files in the first place (no reason no to really) then you will not gain anything. Trouble is if you do trim them then should you try to apply a patch/hack/translation to them now you may come up short as it might need the extra space (some patching methods dislike adding extra space to a file) and might check to make sure you have the same file to begin with.
It is not fatal and you can probably claw it back but I do not suggest trimming for storage, especially if you zip/rar your ROMs.

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I trimmed all the ones on my card. They all still work fine. I tested Mario Kart DS multi-player and it worked fine, GTS on pokemon heart gold worked fine as well. None of my roms seem corrupted. I played a little bit of all of them. It just saves me a lot of space. Thanks for all the help guys. Also, if I want to put a patch on a rom I always download a fresh rom anyways.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, if I want to put a patch on a rom I always download a fresh rom anyways.

I think what FAST was saying was that if you keep them on your computer's hdd/ssd in an archive format such as .zip, .7z, or .tar.gz, they won't take up more space regardless of trimming status. Given that trimming as often faster than downloading, it may be beneficial to keep the ROMs on your computer untrimmed.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I always trim them for the SD card but keep an untrimmed copy on my computer just in case. I've never really wound up needing that untrimmed one, but I have a big enough HDD that it's not going to make a difference unlike on an SD card where trimming them all could add up to fitting one or two more games.

sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Update: I am using the GBA emulator, that is posted on the DSTwo website. The trimmed roms don't load. So, yea. It broke all 5 of my gba roms. Good thing I have backups.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Depending on whether or not the game has some kind of an AP check which depend on the end of file junk (which is countered on most firmwares these days anyways), trimming does absolutely nothing to the game proper, it only removes garbage data that's there to "fill up" the ROM chip to its total size. It's just 0's, you're losing nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...