Hacking Ribbon Cable Latch on Motherboard?

Robotica72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a second 4.x system that has the latch portion of the ribbon cable connection missing ... A friend took it apart and when he flipped it up, it flew off.

I do not have the latch and was curious of any options someone may have ....

Thanks for any ideas

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make your friend buy you a new 3DS. Never let an amateur do something that requires skill, especially when it comes to electronics.
I've taken electronics apart multiple times and i find it really difficult to make a ribbon cable latch just "fly off". In reality, I'd check the damage on the latch mechanism first, but I doubt you can simply snap it back in place and have it work properly. I've never opened a 3DS myself (never had to) but if it's a ribbon cable that doesn't move too much in the first place, you could probably get away with just inserting the ribbon cable with the missing latch, just make sure its a tight fit.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time a ribbon cable latch doesn't break it just comes off, if you can find it put it back on. It just plastic that has 2 small knobs that connect to each of the ribbon cable connection on the moterboard.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well... you could replace the whole connector, you could attempt delicately soldering the ribbon to the connectors, but that will likely end with a disaster, or you could permanently connect the ribbon by shoving it into the connector, putting pressure on it like a latch would and... I don't know, gluing it shut? Another option would be buying a broken 3DS and extracting the connector from it or looking for such a connector online. Maybe you'll even be able to extract the latch out of one to avoid soldering.

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've edited my answer with a more serious response, but next time, don't trust your friend to perform surgery on your baby, might as well do it yourself. I find that doing surgery oneself leads to a more likely success due to the extra care/precaution one takes on ones own property.

Reactions: IronClouds

Robotica72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He wasn't modding mine - it was his own, Mine I did myself by swapping the motherboard - so he has given it to me since it doesn't work :) I was going to solder to the ribbon directly, I have done it in the past.

I know there are 4 solder points on the back of the motherboard that are easy to solder to that would be the 4 pins connector - that's easy - I was hoping to find a part on mouser that I might be able to slide the cable into and use those solder points to the new connector.... Just cant find what part might do it.

Anyone know the size of that cable? Might help find a new connector.

Robotica72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW .. Nice, an eBay search brought up that connector - I can put the ribbon cable into it, and use the reverse connections on the motherboard ... Should be a good fix ...

Reactions: Celice

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if its just the latch part, you should be able to get away with just putting the ribbon cable into the connector with a small piece of card to keep it in tight, bit of sellotape over it and it should be fine.....my motto is don't solder unless its necessary....but if the whole connector is ripped off just make sure no pads where took off with it, before trying to replace it

Reactions: Celice

Robotica72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may try that - Connector is perfect, just no latch - Worth a shot before I solder the new connector ... I can do that, but Id like to avoid it just in case....

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto