Hacking Rewrite Flashcards in GodMode9?

Solution
Short version. Not really.

Longer version. It would likely be an incredible amount of effort and only gain you a different icon.
Prior to the DSi flash cart devs could use whatever they like and did just that.
With the DSi and then 3ds Nintendo cracked down on flash carts. The exploit they all use to work around it, and the circumstances leading up to it, is detailed in https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ if you are curious.
While this did not at first mandate icons it is an easy thing for Nintendo to check by so the flash cart makers then had to move to mimicking the game they based their take on the exploit on (which did change between flash cart makers, and occasionally between versions of the firmware).

You...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short version. Not really.

Longer version. It would likely be an incredible amount of effort and only gain you a different icon.
Prior to the DSi flash cart devs could use whatever they like and did just that.
With the DSi and then 3ds Nintendo cracked down on flash carts. The exploit they all use to work around it, and the circumstances leading up to it, is detailed in https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ if you are curious.
While this did not at first mandate icons it is an easy thing for Nintendo to check by so the flash cart makers then had to move to mimicking the game they based their take on the exploit on (which did change between flash cart makers, and occasionally between versions of the firmware).

You would have to make your 3ds OK with booting whatever (possible but when I was last paying attention most were more concerned with reverting to an older version of the DS compatibility layer than hacking it to do other things). You would also have to hack your flash cart to have a different icon, or possibly flashing an older firmware if it had one prior to the updates (doubtful really), and flash cart makers tend to be a bit protective about their firmwares so you will also have to cut through that for your flash cart. A handful of flash carts detected whether they were running on a DS or DSi/3ds and displayed a different icon accordingly which you might use to trick it (in addition to making it so a DS style flash cart would run) but I don't think I saw anything named R4 do that.
Indeed sitting here thinking about what they would take then for a purely cosmetic mod for your personal device then chances are you would have an easier time by hacking the 3ds firmware's icon reading stuff itself to instead detect if it is seeing Touch! Bomberman Land to instead display the icon of your choice. This would mean if you ever did get that game that it would display incorrectly (unless you did further checks to detect flash carts, something that might be easier said than done) but that is probably not a problem here.

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.