Hacking Question Revivng a potentially bricked Switch

Rokon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit of a weird question. The long and short of it is: Can a bricked Switch access RCM mode?

The reason why I ask is because, a few months ago my Nintendo Switch stopped working. I didn't attempt any sort of CFW hack, it just went kaput while charging. I don't know if it's bricked though. I've attempted to use fusee to launch a CFW into my swtich and then go back into an acceptable OFW, I have the proper Switch for it. I've followed the video below:

And around the 8 minute mark, I do not see the same thing that person sees. What I see, is:

Code:
Tegraexplorer v1.3.1
Biskeys failed to dump!
EMMC will not be mounted!

I'm unsure if this is the result of my Switch being all kinds of funky, but I don't know if it's bricked. If it's not, I want to make an attempt to salvage and recover my Switch. If it is bricked, then that's about the end of my journey. Any help in the right direction would help immensely.

EDIT: It also seem that whenever I format my SD card - which was inserted into my Switch at the time it "broke", three files remain: Install, Nintendo, and wiiu. Anyone have any ideas how to completely nuke the SD card to get it empty again? Formatting it again and again doesn't remove the folders.

Last edited by Rokon,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Fusée Gelée units are almost to 100% brickproof because you can always send a payload to the console.
And most important thing here, never follow video guides. Why the hell are users not learning? Video guides are really quick outdated.

Anyone have any ideas how to completely nuke the SD card to get it empty again?
Format it (if not already done) with fat32.

a few months ago my Nintendo Switch stopped working
More infos please. What happens when you turn on your console? Blackscreen? AutoRCM enabled?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Yes, a bricked Switch should be able to access RCM because that magic happens even before everything else.
The RCM code is embedded in the Tegra chip itself, not in the NAND.
But other things like the USB port and charging circuit also have to work.

You might have blown your USB port along with your charging circuit :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-switch-cant-enter-rcm.548411/
When you're constantly in RCM mode because of the AutoRCM setting, your battery will slowly drain itself and the Switch won't start either.
You could try another charged battery if you can get your hands on one.
Repairing the USB/charging circuit is really something for someone with serious soldering skills.

Rokon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologizes for the delay in response, college keeps me busy.

BaamAlex said:
Format it (if not already done) with fat32
I've tried several methods of formatting my SD card, through the Windows Format option as well as several third-party apps, no dice. Worst case I'll just pick up another SD card; not too concerned about it, just a bit annoying that the data isn't going away.

BaamAlex said:
More infos please. What happens when you turn on your console? Blackscreen? AutoRCM enabled?
When I turn on my Switch, it goes into RCM mode because I don't see anything on the screen, as if it's off or battery is dead. When I can connect the Switch to the computer, my computer does see the Switch but nothing more. I can't access any file attributed to the Switch nor the SD card inside of the Switch.

thesjaakspoiler said:
Yes, a bricked Switch should be able to access RCM because that magic happens even before everything else.
The RCM code is embedded in the Tegra chip itself, not in the NAND.
But other things like the USB port and charging circuit also have to work.

You might have blown your USB port along with your charging circuit :
When you're constantly in RCM mode because of the AutoRCM setting, your battery will slowly drain itself and the Switch won't start either.

You could try another charged battery if you can get your hands on one.
Repairing the USB/charging circuit is really something for someone with serious soldering skills.
I suspect that might be the likely culprit because that's what I'm experiencing. You say that "Repairing the USB/charging circuit is really something for someone with serious soldering skills." which means, if I were to have this repaired, my Switch would go back to normal, yeah? That's a relief. Do you happen to know anyone that might offer these kinds of services? I'm afraid taking it to Nintendo hasn't been especially fruitful.

In the meantime I can definintely try to find another battery. I've been able to charge my battery through using the Fusee payload and having it charge while sitting in the menu as a sort of workaround.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1