Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

mindglitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is correct.

that is the video guide i used to get fallout on my note5. then i just transferred the same files over to the vita. links to the config and files are in the description. uses the gog version of the game.

Aramir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
btw, my second guess and it's a long shot, but I think that if you locate the movie opening files and rename them, or find a way to skip them in .cfg or in command line arguments, you should be able to get at least to the main menu, maybe more.
It's probably crashing because the lib used by retroarch to play movies (ffmpeg or whatever) hasn't be ported to psvita yet. Best of luck

Elwood89

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Guys, test a simple game first, not one of the dos4gw extender games. Test older games like Prince or Prehistorik ;)
Anyway without input we won't be able to play. We need both an overlay keyboard AND a way to bind buttons to keyboard/ mouse actions. Hopefully somebody will make that true someday.

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, got my new 3.60, but i'm a bit (a lot actually) lost!

I need to install all the cores? or just the cores for the games i need?
Where i have to put the roms?
Any other stuff to setup?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ok, got my new 3.60, but i'm a bit (a lot actually) lost!

I need to install all the cores? or just the cores for the games i need?
Where i have to put the roms?
Any other stuff to setup?
Just install the cores you need.

Roms can go anywhere. If you use VHBL too, make sure they're inside ux0:/pspemu/ if you wanna use the same roms with VHBL. Otherwise, they can go anywhere.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm updating to the latest nighlies right now. The new batch install feature in VitaShell 1.0 is a lifesaver, but it's still taking a mighty long time to install compared with earlier nightlies. Does anybody know what the cause is? It is actually the Retroarch compiles or VitaShell?

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just install the cores you need.

Roms can go anywhere. If you use VHBL too, make sure they're inside ux0:/pspemu/ if you wanna use the same roms with VHBL. Otherwise, they can go anywhere.
About the new-geo roms, any special way to handle them? need to unzip them?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
All roms can be zipped, Retroarch support zipped roms.

In the case of Neo Geo roms, they HAVE to be zipped. Don't forget to have the Neo Geo bios files (neogeo.zip) in your Neo Geo roms directory.

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ok, and what about unibios? i should put neogeo.zip and unibios.rom in the rom folder? or put unibios.rom inside neogeo.zip inside the rom folder?

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Registered just to give feedback:
been waiting for dosbox for a long time. but dosbox is working for me.

here's how tyrian 2000 runs on it.
joystick/gamepad input works fine from the quick menu but no keyboard input (i'd have tested Jill of the Jungle if KB did work).
had to create special dosbox conf files to get it to boot things:
[dosbox]
memsize=24

[render]
aspect=true

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=6000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount C ux0:/data/DOS
C:
cls
t2k
cd..
cls
(t2k is a batch file i have setup in my dos directory)
plus i'm unsure if the dynamic core is in effect with it or not and unsure of the cycles counts since dosbox only displays "auto" on prompting for cycles at the prompt (autoexec). i set 6000 because that would be required to run tyrian on dynamic at "low" detail ingame at fullspeed (tested with PC dosbox). the fact that it can't run fullspeed with this config means either:
1. the dynamic core isn't implemented yet (probable)
2. the vita's cpu can't handle 6000 cycles yet.
did also test raptor and it does work but is again slow.

Jhyrachy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I must miss something since i can't manage to play anything :/

I installed retroarch fbalpha2012_neogeo
made a rom folder inside the retroarch folder and put mslug.zip and neogeo.zip (uni-bios.rom inside)

then i go to 'load content', i navigate to the rom folder, select a rom and nothing happen

lbruckus562

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must miss something since i can't manage to play anything :/

I installed retroarch fbalpha2012_neogeo
made a rom folder inside the retroarch folder and put mslug.zip and neogeo.zip (uni-bios.rom inside)

then i go to 'load content', i navigate to the rom folder, select a rom and nothing happen

You're doing it right. That's the core I use and how I open roms. You either have...a bad core, bad bios, or bad rom...maybe a combination of bad files. I'd try a different bios. You shouldn't have to unzip it and put anything in. If it's the right bios it should load the roms. Hope you get it working.

Simando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Registered just to give feedback:
been waiting for dosbox for a long time. but dosbox is working for me.

here's how tyrian 2000 runs on it.
joystick/gamepad input works fine from the quick menu but no keyboard input (i'd have tested Jill of the Jungle if KB did work).
had to create special dosbox conf files to get it to boot things:

(t2k is a batch file i have setup in my dos directory)
plus i'm unsure if the dynamic core is in effect with it or not and unsure of the cycles counts since dosbox only displays "auto" on prompting for cycles at the prompt (autoexec). i set 6000 because that would be required to run tyrian on dynamic at "low" detail ingame at fullspeed (tested with PC dosbox). the fact that it can't run fullspeed with this config means either:
1. the dynamic core isn't implemented yet (probable)
2. the vita's cpu can't handle 6000 cycles yet.
did also test raptor and it does work but is again slow.

Thanks for the post - this is confusing for me so I'm going to wait and see if any updates come out!

JJXB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the post - this is confusing for me so I'm going to wait and see if any updates come out!
understandable. have you used dosbox on PC before at all? it kind of helps that i know my way around it to get it to this point tbh. i'll link to a tutorial for PC dosbox if you want some rough dosbox guidance in the meantime at the bottom of this post.
we need some "blood" & "redneck rampage"!!!
not gonna happen anytime soon. if tyrian is only just running playable, both of those are heavy as it is on PC dosbox unless you tweak them.
There a tuto for dosbox retroarch ? Does it need files or just dos games?
Answer me please what is conf files?i never use dosbox
no tutorial as of yet because this has only just become a thing. my best advice is either wait for it to mature in terms of usability or learn your way around dosbox and it's configuration files on PC.
if you do want to learn something about PC dosbox beforehand:
https://www.classicdosgames.com/tutorials/dosbox.html
plus that place has plenty of legal free dos games to test yourself on (freeware, shareware etc) without dealing with abandonware sites.

Reactions: Simando

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: but well atleast my game tv stick can, @Psionic Roshambo