Retroarch is now on Retail Mode (Xbox Series S/X)

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
just to let you know, I got everything to work, including ps2 games, just needed to put all files except for the games on the internal ssd. one question though: I put the files in the local state folder of retroarch. does that mean that when there's a new update, the entire retroarch folder will be deleted, since you'll have to uninstall retroarch in order to install the new build? if so, is there anywhere else you can place the files to avoid having to retransfer your files?
That's not how it works for Retail RetroArch. It updates like a regular Xbox game (assuming the current listing is still up, this gets delisted periodically all the time.) so the LocalState folder is left intact. Only ways it can be deleted is if you manually uninstall RetroArch, manually delete the folder, or factory reset. (either option, doesn't matter if you keep games and apps.)

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how it works for Retail RetroArch. It updates like a regular Xbox game (assuming the current listing is still up, this gets delisted periodically all the time.) so the LocalState folder is left intact. Only way it can be deleted is if you manually uninstall RetroArch, manually delete the folder, or factory reset. (either option, doesn't matter if you keep games and apps.)
so if a new update is released, update instead of uninstalling, then installing the new version?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
so if a new update is released, update instead of uninstalling, then installing the new version?
If an update is released, then let it update like a regular game that received a patch. If the app is delisted, then you will have to install the newer listing (if you want to be up to date at least) and manually transfer your files from an app to the other. It might be RetroArch still, but in that scenario you're technically dealing with two different apps, so the LocalState folders aren't shared.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If an update is released, then let it update like a regular game that received a patch. If the app is delisted, then you will have to install the newer listing (if you want to be up to date at least) and manually transfer your files from an app to the other. It might be RetroArch still, but in that scenario you're technically dealing with two different apps, so the LocalState folders aren't shared.
That's what I figured. What would happen if you out the Retroarch files in a folder on the root of Q or S? I mean it's like 40,000 files, so it takes over an hour to update.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I meant "put." If you put the folder on the root?
The root of the S Folder is completely inaccessible in Retail, so that's impossible. As for the root of the Q Drive, it's not a good idea since unless you are using a NTFS formatted drive with the correct permissions, the files won't even be allowed to be placed outside of the folder and still work correctly. Even if you change the directories in RetroArch itself. You need a USB drive for that to be viable, and even then not everything can be stored outside of the LocalState folder or the S Folder. retroarch.cfg is stuck to LocalState, while cores don't work outside of the default S Drive directory period.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How will I know if Retroarch has been updated without just uninstalling then reinstalling? Retroarch was officially updated today.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's been a while since I've been involved with the Xbox Scene. I wanted to share something super cool with the community. You can now install Retroarch on your Xbox Series S/X or Xbox One on Retail Mode. You DO NOT need a whitelist. And no you will not get banned from Xbox Live. This is great because dev mode is no longer required. With retroarch on Retail Mode games have full access to the hardware and you have all of your games in one place. No longer do you have to switch back and forth when you want to play Xbox Games or Retro Games.

I've linked the video tutorial here so you can give it a watch if you prefer a more in depth guide. All credit goes to Gamr13. This guy is doing the lords work. Basically there are a few steps to getting Retroarch setup in Retail Mode on your Xbox.

1. Open Edge Browser
2. Navigate to https://gamr13.github.io/
3. Once there, click on Retroarch and select "Download App"
4. You will be taken to the Microsoft Store where you can download Retroarch.
5. After Retroarch is finished downloading just configure it, add your games and you're ready to go. Enjoy Retro Gaming on Retail.

That's it. If you have any questions drop them here.

Now that you brought people's attention to it. It's probably gonna get taken down by M$ soon. There have been others like it before that got taken down. So everyone better download it while they still can.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
How will I know if Retroarch has been updated without just uninstalling then reinstalling? Retroarch was officially updated today.
Reboot the system and see if an update pops up. Also, RetroArch on Retail (Gamr13's version anyway) is based on nightly builds, so stable builds really aren't relevant here.

Now that you brought people's attention to it. It's probably gonna get taken down by M$ soon. There have been others like it before that got taken down. So everyone better download it while they still can.
It's already happened a lot mate. This post really isn't changing anything because Retail RetroArch has been a thing for two years now. It's always taken down after around two weeks and re-uploaded, it's a game of cat and mouse that has lasted a long time. Unless Gamr13 decides to stop uploading builds, that really won't change.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it looks like it might've been taken down. I got no update message, and all of the links on gamr3's page, except for moonlight, do not work anymore. I just get a blank page with the store's background.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nm, I cleared cookies and cache. retroarch now says "arcade classics" on the ms store. let me see what happens when I download it.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
it looks like it might've been taken down. I got no update message, and all of the links on gamr3's page, except for moonlight, do not work anymore. I just get a blank page with the store's background.

That's what happens when the apps are taken down periodically. Reason Moonlight is the only one up is because Gamr13 doesn't actually host the app himself, he just has it on the website for people to check out.

nm, I cleared cookies and cache. retroarch now says "arcade classics" on the ms store. let me see what happens when I download it.
The apps are usually re-uploaded a few hours after a take down. When it's re-uploaded, you just download it as if it were the first time you downloaded it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what happens when the apps are taken down periodically. Reason Moonlight is the only one up is because Gamr13 doesn't actually host the app himself, he just has it on the website for people to check out.

The apps are usually re-uploaded a few hours after a take down. When it's re-uploaded, you just download it as if it were the first time you downloaded it.
maybe the new name is to fool microsoft. it also has a different developer name. it is the new update, I guess nightly build. I'm uploading the files now. right now, I have both that and the original retroarch installed. I tried to do a cut and paste from both directories, but there's no way to cut the content, only copy it.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
maybe the new name is to fool microsoft. it also has a different developer name. it is the new update, I guess nightly build. I'm uploading the files now. right now, I have both that and the original retroarch installed. I tried to do a cut and paste from both directories, but there's no way to cut the content, only copy it.
I dunno, name changes really haven't done anything to combat what is mostly an automated process in the past. And a different developer name just means that this type of takedown was that Microsoft banned the developer account that hosted the apps. So, a new dummy account is made. The other type of takedown is simply delisting the apps and nothing more.

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
can you get banned for downloading this stuff in retail mode? I'll just stick with dev mode if there's a risk.
No, that's a common misconception and a source of misinformation. So I want to be very clear about this: THE USER IS NEVER AT RISK OF BEING BANNED FOR SIMPLY DOWNLOADING AND USING THESE APPS. The only one at risk is the developer account hosting said apps since they are the ones who are breaking the Store's ToS. That's why there hasn't been a single banned user for using this in 2 years. Incidentally, the developer account is a Partner Center account, which is not related to an Xbox Live account in the slightest.

• Love

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm updated. It took about 3 minutes on the dev mode version, but it took about an hour on retail, since I had to retransfer everything. Is there a safe place on the Xbox to store these files instead of them being lost each time you update?

GABO1423

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Alright, I'm updated. It took about 3 minutes on the dev mode version, but it took about an hour on retail, since I had to retransfer everything. Is there a safe place on the Xbox to store these files instead of them being lost each time you update?
The location inside the Q Drive where the other LocalState folders for the apps are located. If you're using Durango FTP, this translates to LOCALFOLDER.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The location inside the Q Drive where the other LocalState folders for the apps are located. If you're using Durango FTP, this translates to LOCALFOLDER.
Local state is the only location we can ftp to? I updated my Durango ftp as well, so it will have to be something that's permanent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!