Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
It runs a number of games at 60 FPS on N3DS (even Yoshi's Island, in-game, but not the title screen). The tradeoff is lower accuracy and slightly worse sound in some games, but it makes a good companion SNES emulator, nonetheless.
Oh sweet as I'll just put it my retroarch collection then :)

Off topic but not so off topic but how do you get 2048 core to work and also is it possible to load Cave Story straight away

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I want to install the CIA of CATSFC on my 9.4 EmuNAND (9.2 SysNAND) N3DS to play Dragon Quest I&II and Dragon Quest III.

The latest nightly contains a folder full of cia files (catsfc_libretro.cia should be the one I need) and a "retroarch" folder with a "filters" subfolder. Do I need that one? Should I place it on the root of my SD or is it enough to just install CATSFC?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I want to install the CIA of CATSFC on my 9.4 EmuNAND (9.2 SysNAND) N3DS to play Dragon Quest I&II and Dragon Quest III.

The latest nightly contains a folder full of cia files (catsfc_libretro.cia should be the one I need) and a "retroarch" folder with a "filters" subfolder. Do I need that one? Should I place it on the root of my SD or is it enough to just install CATSFC?

The filters are purely optional. They just alter how the game looks (like SuperEagle, Scale2x, etc., on PC SNES emulators).

Reactions: bjaxx87

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks! So, if I want to use them I just place them on the root?

Just put the "retroarch" folder (which contains the filters folder and etc.) on the root of your SD card, yes. If it asks you to merge or overwrite folders, just say yes, you shouldn't lose anything. If you're worried about it though, just go into that retroarch folder in the zip file, then put it into /retroarch on your SD card. Should be the same results either way.

Reactions: bjaxx87

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can i get 2048 core to work??
I saw in other page that this core found well
why Not found mame 2000 and mame 2003 cores
in new builds?
I get black screen

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I get this error on gpsp that goes something like min frames 4096 or something. Using a 2ds 9.2 (with rxtools)

Since you didn't really describe your problem, do you have the GBA BIOS on your SD card, at /retroarch/cores/system/gba_bios.bin? That error is more or less meaningless/useless. It's a generic error that everyone gets for any number of problems.

Edit: Fixed wrong path, should be right now.

Last edited by daxtsu,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@daxtsu I believe @angelhp is attempting to report the MAME cores as nonworking rather than nonpresent and something is being lost in the translation. The user reports after the "not found" remark that they get a black screen launching these cores. I get similar results here, with the 3dsxs for all of the "XML-required" cores (FBA Alpha, MAME 2000, MAME 2003) locking up before RGUI is able to launch. The bottom screen log locks up after the warning about calculating refresh rates, etc.

A handful of users have been reporting this issue for a week or so, I'm unsure as to whether other users are not experiencing the issue at all or simply haven't encountered it due to not running said cores. I've only just updated to the current nightly from the one I was using (about two weeks old) so I'm not sure when exactly this started.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@daxtsu I believe @angelhp is attempting to report the MAME cores as nonworking rather than nonpresent and something is being lost in the translation. The user reports after the "not found" remark that they get a black screen launching these cores. I get similar results here, with the 3dsxs for all of the "XML-required" cores (FBA Alpha, MAME 2000, MAME 2003) locking up before RGUI is able to launch. The bottom screen log locks up after the warning about calculating refresh rates, etc.

A handful of users have been reporting this issue for a week or so, I'm unsure as to whether other users are not experiencing the issue at all or simply haven't encountered it due to not running said cores. I've only just updated to the current nightly from the one I was using (about two weeks old) so I'm not sure when exactly this started.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was going to say, they've been included for like 2 weeks now.

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you didn't really describe your problem, do you have the GBA BIOS on your SD card, at /retroarch/cores/system/gba_bios.bin? That error is more or less meaningless/useless. It's a generic error that everyone gets for any number of problems.

I had the same problem, but i solved it with that...

PD:gpsp on 2ds ??? better dont even try it xDDD

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
PocketSNES was added in today's nightly and the "farting" noises are fixed. It is glorious :D

However, the sound emulation is still inaccurate, such as mario's spin jump and the going down the pipe sounds (kinda like ZSNES). I don't know if this due to being based of SNES9x 1.39 or something else.

Otherwise, it is the best emulator speedwise. The dev/s is doing a really good job porting this over to the 3ds.

EDIT: The regular CatSFC (NON plus version) have the same sound issues. It would be nice is the sound emulation from the Plus version or Next is implemented in PocketSNES in the future. But for now it is the only 3ds emulator that runs Mario RPG at fullspeed. :)
PocketSnes is based on an even older version of Snes9x than CATSFC (0.39, as you said) and this is by design. It uses such an old version because it is faster, but it is less accurate. This is by design, it's not really possible to make the sound emulation more accurate without also making it slower, defeating the point of that particular core.

I'm not entirely sure there's much point in a 'Next' build of PocketSnes because the purpose of its inclusion is speed.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India

When i run Gpsp, after selecting my game, i get a log which ultimately ends with a statement (or error i guess) Minimum frames required is 4096 o.O
---
Will the O3ds/2ds ever have a fully functional gba emu? *sigh*

Last edited by raystriker,
Reactions: Heran Bago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...