Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh, on the subject, while suggestions seem to be welcome,and I think I've read it somewhere in this tread already, but why isn't the Wii remote chosen as standard controller the first time a core is started ? On my Wii the standard controller upon booting is the GC, while it would make more sense to have the Wii remote as standard controller because that's what you most likely use to boot RA in the first place !
After that the user should be able to choose his preferred control scheme.......just my two cents....;)

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
RA doesn't use a fancy GUI due to the Wii's memory restraints, so it has to be simplified. As for ROMs, why can't you put all them into one folder? That way, the core you use will only display the ROMs for that core. That's what I do and haven't had a single issue. As for the video mode, changing the resolution, switching to another core and exiting is the best way to save the video settings.

Just put the ROMs into one folder, that way you don't have to navigated to a different one for each system, and trust me, it's a helluva lot better to have one directory for games. Again, if you choose something like Snes9x or Genesis Plus GX, only the games for that core will show up and won't be a mess.
Hey, thanks again, I tried to see if different cores would automatically filter and display compatible roms only, but unfortunately, while it might work with Snes and Genesis ( different extensions ) it doesn't work with FBA, CPS1,2 and NG roms, as they are all in zip format.
Basically I get the same roms displayed for each core, but obviously if I attempt to load a CPS1 game while in CPS2 core I get a code dump.
Like I said, I found a work around and I manually sorted CPS1,2 and Neo Geo roms in different folders, but still my FBA rom folder is a mess.
I'm slowly going trough it to see what works and what not, but really it's a lot of work.
I hope they get some sort of official internal list of compatibility and RA itself would do the sorting and filtering for us.....
But in the mean time, I'll keep on manually choosing roms and paths.

And by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBA core is not compatible with CPS1,2 and NG roms, right ? I have to use the dedicated cores for those systems , right ?
Cheers.

rkChdrkls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much.
The reason I have so much interest in the Wii version of RA, is because my Wii is hooked up to a 27" CRT TV set with a n RGB cable that when fed the right signal is capable of displaying an image of almost arcade monitor quality ( with authentic scanlines and all ) while sadly, my PC only has HDMI output and it's 'only 'connected to a 24" samsung syncmaster.
Since my Wii effortlessly plays other retro emulators, I'd really love to be able to play arcade games on it as well, especially since the end result is amazingly close to the original arcade experience, even though there are fewer games available.
For this reason I'm a huge fan of the Wii port of RA, and I hope my little criticism has been seen as constructive and not offensive ;)

I have the same setup, RGB cable and 25" CRT (have 3 other crt's and tried all of them). Still it does not look like an arcade monitor. I select 4:3 in retroarch, what resolution and settings do you use in the options menu for normal res acrade games like double dragon etc, to look as they should.

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the control config working on the TurboGrafx-16 part in RA

You need to still fix core in CPS2 .. FBA site you gave me some ROM`s life sfa2.zip wont run

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Street Fighter Alpha 2 didn't work at all, and That's from the FBA Site
Just stick to a MAME Core insted..So both MAME and FBA ROM's willl work

and I'm loading it from SD

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the same setup, RGB cable and 25" CRT (have 3 other crt's and tried all of them). Still it does not look like an arcade monitor. I select 4:3 in retroarch, what resolution and settings do you use in the options menu for normal res acrade games like double dragon etc, to look as they should.
The aspect ratio doesn't matter.
If you didn't change the resolution, chances are you are still displaying your games at 480i, which while still looks better then an HDTV, it's a long cry from arcade quality....
In order to achieve that, you need to go to the video option and change the resolution ( first option ) to 240p, this way the TV will generate scanlines and also display a sharper image.
My sweet spot for most arcade games is 512x236p, but that depends on the game you are playing as well.
Good luck.

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is the Rewind always on the Right Stick Up?

I use mosty on Master System, NES, Game Boy, GBA, Game Gear, TurboGrafx-16 with the Super NES Controller not the Classic or the GC Controller, I would like to Config the Rewind Button on a unused Button

Like on the Top L or R buttons

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got the control config working on the TurboGrafx-16 part in RA

You need to still fix core in CPS2 .. FBA site you gave me some ROM`s life sfa2.zip wont run
all cps 1&2 games work.
you have to have the proper roms.
Streetfighter alpha 2 works perfectly here.

gameBro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

dunno what you mean about "does not look like an arcade monitor"
Arcade CRT monitors are different from standard CRT TVs. Watch The Ben Heck Show on youtube

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
He means proper scanlining I presume.
If the resolution is just slightly of the sprites get screwed.
This has been a major gripe for me also in ra.
Other emus get it right though...ra is better in emulating ...choices,choices..

Federer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a question. How to play with netplay on the new retroarch version for windows (RetroArch-20131013)??
On the README.TXT says "Some RetroArch features like special ROM loading, netplay and ffmpeg recording are all accessible from CLI." I try alot of commands but seems there is not netplay mode like the old retroarch phoenix versions. I would like to try Mortal Kombat Games with Netplay on there! Somebody knows hot to use netplay?

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next Update

Controls - I love the Input Option ...But

For Master System, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear - Config Multi Buttons like

Master System I - Y II - B TI - R

or Just add Turbo for any button

Another Suggestion in Input Options

on left where buttons A, B, Y, X, L, R

It's good for SNES, NES & Game Boy

For other Systems like the Genesis

A, B, C, X, Y, Z, Mode

SMS I, II

TurboGrafx II, I

and so on

also on VBA and Game Boy Emu's

Add a feature that allows you to crop the screen

I don't really playing GB or GBA Games full screen

one more - I mosty useing a SNES Controller, to exit to the Main Menu, I have to Press the Home Button on the Wiimote

I want Hold Start + Z for the Main Menu on the Gamecube Controller

MatioMania

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone forward my list to Toad King for the Next Update?

I'm mostly playing with my SNES Controller on my Wii, I don't really like pressing Home on my WiiMote to go back to the Menu..I would like to be Mapped to the Z + Start

So I don't have a reason to waste my batteries on my WiiMote

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1