Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi Cobra i just tried what you mentioned and it now works !

im not 100% sure what you mean here but my Neo Geo Bios is zipped and in the same directory as the Neo Geo roms

Ya I erased my question because as soon as I asked it I figured it out. Im glad what I mentioned worked for you, any idea if Sega CD games work with music just yet? Thanks again

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does if you compile from source right now.

Hey I can just wait until it is implemented in the future etc. I had just one final question really for now...I have my Wii hooked up to my Samsung CRT and im using the official Wii RGB cables with point filtering on because bilinear looks very blurry. Is this the best way to have it set up in my case? To me it looks pretty good but I uploaded some quick shots so you guys can see and let me know. Im pretty confident I see scanlines but after looking at it so long and finally sitting down to play I just wanted to make sure this is the optimal way to play. Thank you for any insight!

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3443/sam0630e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/sam0636j.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/sam0635g.jpg/

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
OK - hold on - let me get this straight - you're talking about a HDTV you bought in 2006 - and you have the gall to complain to me about lag? Are you serious? You do know that anything above 2ms response time is a piece of crap right and that no 2006 HDTV has any hope in hell of even matching that, right? It would be like expecting the NES to be able to render N64 graphics -it's that incredulous.

Anyway, in case you didn't mean that - let me talk about 'native resolutions' since it might be the crux of the problem -

Every HDTV has a 'native' display resolution - for some it's 720p, for others it's 1080p.

When you have something like the Wii that drops you back into 480p mode (if at that), it could well be the case that your TV does not natively support this display resolution and therefore a lot of postprocessing has to be applied to convert this on the fly by the TV's CPU - hence leading to lag.

Go ahead and read this entire article - there are some 'solutions' there you can try - but there is no such thing as a magic bullet - because it's the deficiency of your hardware.

http://www.lg.com/ph/support/product-help/doc-2122921-en-LGEPH

It also explains something about this native resolution issue that I am talking about -

Again - really - this is not my problem - it's yours - you bought the TV, not me. Take it up with them. Any gamer that doesn't have a HDTV with at least 2 ms response time or less has no right to complain about input lag - you get what you pay for. And if you still want to complain - make sure that certain person isn't me, because I have nothing to do with your purchasing decisions.

And also, quoting 'Bittrip Runner' (whatever - you say it's a 'rhythm game' - I say it's not the same kind of fast-paced rhythm game as Parappa - and seriously, that article I linked you to was written by the original dev) runs smoothly or 3rd Strike demo - it's MEANINGLESS - don't you get this by now? These games were 'altered' in ways so that it will more or less run acceptably on every shitty HDTV out there - we can't exactly do that with an emulator now can we? It's not like I have the source code to each game and I can tweak a few knobs and have them run at a different refresh rate or do some tricks.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be a counsellor for people who buy HDTVs and expect zero-lag nirvanas. Read that article, and accept the fact that this is not my problem - it's as simple as that. You're being incredibly harrassing over something that is not even my fault - take it up with your TV manufacturer if you're so passionate about it - they sold you the thing and promised you nirvana, not me. Or you should have just held onto your old CRT TV instead of throwing it away.
I'm not going to deny there might be some kind of screen LAG due to the LCD, just that it's not noticeable (annoying) at least on my side. From that point on is where I value the input lag. It's as easy as playing a game like a fast fighting game or shooter, etc with a GC controller, then CC controller, play against a friend, switch controllers, and now come and tell me if it's ok, if after dedicating even less than an hour you tell me you saw no difference against the GC controller then I can assume it's as so and live with it.
But you are taking the TV argument over and over, and that has no meaning when what you are testing are different controllers ON THE SAME HDTV. The lag difference between controllers is the same on a HDTV than on a CRT TV. Please listen to sideskroll, we are not saying that there's not input lag with the GC controller, we are saying that there MUCH MORE LAG with a CC controller than with the GC controller, you know how to code and you don't understand this? c'mon!!
QFT! Even though I don't want to keep feeding this flamewar, I have to agree with dogway. You keep relating HDTVS with input delay. But we (at least the both of us, I'm not sure if the other guys too) are telling you that it works PERFECTLY FINE (or as good as it can get at least) with a gamecube controller.
Let's say that you're right, let's say our issues are related to our TV sets for a minute. Wouldn't it be logical for the delay/lag to appear with any and all controllers, not only with the Clasic Controller? By the way, I think we're both using an original first party NINTENDO CC (only difference is his is the PRO edition) which, by the way, doesn't make any difference cause if I try my 3rd party CC or even my 3rd party (both madkatz) wiimote it shows the same behavior.
Now, I'm not trying to "pick an internet fight" and I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I know you have no obligation with anyone on this emulator and that it is released "as is". But PLEASE, at least acknowledge that there MAY BE a problem with it that is only noticeable when you're using a Classic Controller, it has nothing to do with having an HDTV or a CRT display.
For example, seeing as I don't have a CRT TV lying around currently. I tried hooking up my old SNES to my LCD. And what do you know? It works perfectly fine (even by using composite, mind you). So framerate is out of the question now. Then, we're trying to tell you that there's no lag/delay when using a GAMECUBE controller (at least none that would be a real issue) with your emu. So again, framerate and our HDTVs are out of the question. Now, if I were to take your suggestion as truth it would mean that the framerate somehow changes when using a Classic Controller on an HDTV. And even if that is the case it would mean that there's something wrong somewhere in your code.
My point is, I don't know if Dogway has "a beef" with you or what, and I don't want no part on that. But please try to understand that there is, in fact, something wrong with the damn thing. If nobody else notices it, they're probably not familiar with the way the games played on the original consoles and/or on your emu (with the GAMECUBE CONTROLLER).
Try what this guy suggests, play a game with a CC and a GC controller, after a while switch controllers. If you tell me there's nothing wrong with I'll know I'm crazy and move on.
Thanks, and let me tell you, I do appreciate the time and effort you obviously put into this homebrew, and like I said, I do realize that you have no obligation to improve it or anything. But at least don't discard these reports as FALSE without even testing the difference by yourself.
And PLEASE, for the love of JEBUS. Stop blaming HDTVs. We understand that they cause some delay, we know this and we're fine with it. We're talking about undetected hits on the pads, 1/2 second delay etc. Those are most definitely not HDTV induced.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the main issue here is that nobody has provided enough details for them to actually do anything about it. only a vague description that some controllers lag (which they can't really do anything about since it might be a lib problem with classic controllers seeing as how it's also affected other emulators) and whether or not the classic controllers being used are third party or not (this is actually incredibly important to mention, they can and do lag and I think sideskroll said he was using one? no wait nevermind)

Sideskroll have you tried plugging in the CC to a different Wii remote?

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I think the main issue here is that nobody has provided enough details for them to actually do anything about it. only a vague description that some controllers lag (which they can't really do anything about since it might be a lib problem with classic controllers seeing as how it's also affected other emulators) and whether or not the classic controllers being used are third party or not (this is actually incredibly important to mention, they can and do lag and I think sideskroll said he was using one? no wait nevermind)

Sideskroll have you tried plugging in the CC to a different Wii remote?
I have both, 1st and 3rd party controllers. I've tried every possible combination: 1st party CC> 1st party wiimote, 3rd party CC>1st party wiimote, 3rd party CC>3rd party wiimote etc. Nothing.
The wiimotes by themselves (without the CC plugged in) work as expected (even the third party one) as soon as the CC goes in, BOOM! here comes the lag.
They could test a game like TOP GEAR 2 (which I can attest, lags as hell with the CC) with both, the GC and the CC controller. They'll notice the difference from the get-go.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I have both, 1st and 3rd party controllers. I've tried every possible combination: 1st party CC> 1st party wiimote, 3rd party CC>1st party wiimote, 3rd party CC>3rd party wiimote etc. Nothing.
The wiimotes by themselves (without the CC plugged in) work as expected (even the third party one) as soon as the CC goes in, BOOM! here comes the lag.
They could test a game like TOP GEAR 2 (which I can attest, lags as hell with the CC) with both, the GC and the CC controller. They'll notice the difference from the get-go.

And you experience this same lag even outside of Retroarch?

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
And you experience this same lag even outside of Retroarch?
Yes. HBC and most (if not all) homebrews show the same behavior.
The weird part is that I can play wii games loaded from USB perfectly fine with the CC (no wait, now that I think about it, its not weird at all, cause even though the loader itself is homebrew, once loaded its 100% wii. Am I correct?) anyway, the answer is yes. And its not only the UNHOLY SATANICAL LAG, the wiimote becomes unresponsive as well (and the pointer unstable/jerky) until I unplug the CC.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. HBC and most (if not all) homebrews show the same behavior.
The weird part is that I can play wii games loaded from USB perfectly fine with the CC (no wait, now that I think about it, its not weird at all, cause even though the loader itself is homebrew, once loaded its 100% wii. Am I correct?) anyway, the answer is yes. And its not only the UNHOLY SATANICAL LAG, the wiimote becomes unresponsive as well (and the pointer unstable/jerky) until I unplug the CC.

You are correct regarding the backup loading. And if that's true then this is a problem specifically with homebrew libraries and not any actual problem with controller delay or television delay or RetroArch. Maybe you should report this to the authors of said libraries and see what they have to say.

By the way, do those 'fixed' emulator mods work for you?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I think you are speaking of different kind of lags. HDTV can introduce some lag but definitively not so much visible. Honestly, i think there is a serious problem with either your wiimote expansion port or your classical controller because it does not happen for the majority of people, including me.

Anyway, it looks like what your hardware is doing makes libogc (or better say libwiiuse) crash when trying to read wiimote data. From emulator code point of view, there is absolutely no differences between reading normal gamepad or wii controller, it´s just a function call to the generic low-level library, so it has nothing to do with the fact these emulators were initially ported on gamecube (which btw retroarch was not).

There isn't much that can be done beside analysing why your controller specifically does not work with libwiiuse, most likely it is not using the exact expected communication protocol or use timings that are outside the expected spec because it is damaged (official library might have larger tolerance) but unfortunately, considering it works with the majority of classical controllers with no issues, you are quite alone on that.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't there an application that analyzes Wii remote data? That would be useful in this case, maybe there's a different Wii remote design that uses different extension protocols (to like, be more power efficient or something) and that's why they're acting up.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
AGAIN!!! the TV argument OVER AND OVER AND OVER....
What part of my post didn't you understand? I'm not denying input lag, I'm telling you that THERE'S MORE LAG WITH A CC CONTROLLER!!
MORE LAG, MORE MORE. Do you understand?

If all the problem you have is this:

Code:
TV     TVLAG  CCLAG   I.LAG
CRT =  0ms    30ms =  30ms  (not noticeable, but the issue is still there)
HDTV=  20ms   30ms =  50ms  (noticeable)

Just saying that if I was with a CRT I wouldn't notice (and hence is not worth to care because I'm with a HDTV), it doesn't deny that there is still an underlying issue with the CC controller.
AGAIN I tell you, do you know bittrip runner?, I will never play such a reaction demanding game ever, it was with my wii, composite connection, wiiremote, finished it without major control problems. I don't need more. (and I repeat, composite connection, deinterlacing, rescaling, PP on, and on my HDTV, all the crap you named, not enough to notice input lag, all I needed was retroarch and a CC controller)

"Go ahead and read this entire article"
About all the TV babbling, you are just showing how little you read the forum. Let me point me to the post where I tell the res of my screen. Please, go ahead and read my entire post.
And for the nth time, read my original post, please. Don't start talking about interlacing and crap. I use component, you know what that means? yes, progressive. For the rest of the lecture, again, my original post.

"has no right to complain"
Now you start talking about rights, you are in total denial man. Please refer to my above explanation, you are just forcing people to not notice the issue by using a CRT.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Ya I erased my question because as soon as I asked it I figured it out. Im glad what I mentioned worked for you, any idea if Sega CD games work with music just yet? Thanks again

you can use the standalone version of Genesis Plus GX which has been released some month ago now, afaik Retroarch is directly using its code so it´s basically the same, although with all original options available and better interface

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Dogway, it's entirely possible that this issue is unrelated to RetroArch itself and thus they can't really fix a problem that's not there. Do you experience CC lag with all homebrew applications or just RetroArch?

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I think you are speaking of different kind of lags. HDTV can introduce some lag but definitively not so much visible. Honestly, i think there is a serious problem with either your wiimote expansion port or your classical controller because it does not happen for the majority of people, including me.

Anyway, it looks like what your hardware is doing makes libogc (or better say libwiiuse) crash when trying to read wiimote data. From emulator code point of view, there is absolutely no differences between reading normal gamepad or wii controller, it´s just a function call to the generic low-level library, so it has nothing to do with the fact these emulators were initially ported on gamecube (which btw retroarch was not).

There isn't much that can be done beside analysing why your controller specifically does not work with libwiiuse, most likely it is not using the exact expected communication protocol or use timings that are outside the expected spec because it is damaged (official library might have larger tolerance) but unfortunately, considering it works with the majority of classical controllers with no issues, you are quite alone on that.
Yeah, TBH, thats what I thought at first. But then again, I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. So maybe it is, in fact, a different rev of the pads like someone said.
Anyway, I'd be more than willing to "analyze" my controller if you could point me in the right direction to do so.
Thanks to everyone trying to help in here. I think we have, at least, got to the conclusion that HDTVs have nothing to do with the issue.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
"it's entirely possible that this issue is unrelated to RetroArch itself"
Absolutely, I made that clear 2 days ago. "something is wrong with RetroArch (or the Wii) and the CC Pro"
As I said, I haven't played a game since a few months ago, I did my personal tests about that time, nothing is gonna change now. Most likely is what sideskroll states; "CC lags on all homebrew applications", I need to confirm that, I'll post again here with my insights.

cloudskipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanted to say thanks for such an incredible emulator. Is there ANY chance we will see an update that allows for 240p resolution? It's the only thing holding it back imo. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://onexplayerstore.com/products/onexplayer-x1-amd-ryzen%E2%84%A2-7-8840u-10-95-3-in-1-gaming...