Hardware Homebrew Restoring bricked EZ Flash Parellel carts ...

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
As some folks know there have been reports of bricked EZP carts as a result of running certain games. Initial brick happened via a specific retail game with any cart on fw 1.05 or older. Then another brick happened as a result of a debug/test rom created via official Nintendo SDK.

Basically there's a decent chance you can brick this card by running any game the cart's firmware/kernel doesn't have a save patch for. For some reason they allowed access to their internal flash via SPI bus and thus standard save read/write operations can alter the contents of that chip! This was how the bricks were happening.

Well I've successfully unbricked a card and wrote up a modified version of NDS Backup Tool. I called this EZP_Recovery_Tool!

Note. If you have run fw1.06 at any point on your cart the first 0x8000 bytes of the flash become locked. This program can write to a specific register the flash chip uses for write protection to disable this. However this only works if you disconnect the WP# pin on the flash chip.

To restore a locked card follow these steps:

1. Disassemble card and use soldering iron or other tool to disconnect WP# pin from PCB. You may have to cut the pin to avoid damaging the pad on the PCB. Use wire or solder blob to reconnect the pin later. Reassemble after making this temporary mod to the cart.

2. Run this tool with the card inserted. (do not flash anything. Just having the program detect the card runs the unlock commands). While this pin is lifted your card may not show up in menus or be detected properly by this program anymore. This is normal. Just hit B button ignore the invalid card message and allow the program to reach the main menu. (something unique to this tool as normal save dumpers like NDS Backup Tool don't allow you to do anything with an invalid cart). Do not attempt to flash anything to the card while it is in this state. It may not work correctly. (I have not tested that)

3. Power off console, take the card out and disassemble again. Reconnect the WP pin.

4. Put it back together. Card should show up on console/menus again. Run this tool to restore a known good flash dump and the card should be restored!

Unfortunately there isn't a simpler way to get around this that avoids soldering equipment/physically damaging pin on the chip. Not until EZFlash decides to make their own unbrick tool (or adopt mine. They are free to use mine if they want) and provide something that can unlock the card through software. Most bricks likely happened while on older fw so this is probably not gonna impact most users though.

1722823906066.png

If you had never ran fw 1.06 on the cart before you do not need to modify the card in this way. As a matter of fact, now that this tool exists I would recommend NOT ever using that fw version! A card with unlocked flash chip can have any future bricks unbricked with this tool. So it is best to avoid that fw version until EZFlash team decides to provide a fw release that doesn't lock sections of the chip. ;)

Download to my tool can be found here (source code can be found here too if EZFlash wants to use it. ;) @EZ-Flash2 ;) :

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/EZP_Recovery_Tool/releases/

A known good dump can't be posted here because they use a retail spoof game like most other flashcarts so this will likely have copyright issue. You can request a dump from another user...or maybe EZFlash can provide one on their website. ;)

Do NOT run this program from your EZ Flash cart. It will not operate correctly. Please boot from SD on console (if DSi/3DS). If using original DS or DS Lite you need to have a slot-2 device that can run DS homebrew (and some way of booting that device in DS mode obviously) So if your EZP is bricked you'd need to use a different flashcart to boot that slot-2 device in DS mode.

EDIT: While I can't provide an original dump of this card due to it containing copyrighted game data, I can however provide a IPS patch to convert the game into the version EZFlash used. You must obtain this game on your own. Info on the game they used:

http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=2281&hilite=0839

To prepare game rom for the IPS file included, find this game. Re-encrypt the arm9 secure area, then trim the rom to this specific size in hex editor: 0x400000 (it should be 4MB in size afterwords)

Afterwards it should have this MD5:

59F547E3E9DF9261226F6B0AEC30047A

Then use the provided IPS patch to convert it into the version EZDS used. Their version has the ntrboot data added at 0x1000 with their bootloader embedded in an area of the game that has been exploited.

if however you do not wish to go through all this and have soft modded consoles you can instead restore the provided EZFLASH_NEW_ABJJ_00.bin file instead.

This is a sanitized dump that contains their bootloader (it's basically just nds-hb-menu's bootstrap but with their icon/banner and a autoboot path set to ezds.dat instead of boot.dat) and their icon (but with a modified banner text). It will appear with the icon shown at the end of the updated video I posted above. I've also reconfigured it to use the ABJJ game code as it appears their blowfish keys are hardcoded in the FPGA. (I have confirmed they do not exist in the flash dump. So yeah no DSi ntrboot for this card. :( )

The zip file containing the mentioned files are posted below. Note however if you decide to use the custom sanitized flash dump, the cart will not boot on unmodded 3DS/DSi consoles. ;)

1723015901407.png

Attachments

• EZP_RecoveryBinary.zip
    303.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the ezflash team see this and figures out a way to lift the WP# without hardware modification.
The WP pin is connected to the FPGA so theoretically they can. The real question is if they programmed anything in the FPGA for this. If not, they'd have to do so in a hardware revision because the FPGA most likely can't be updated via software on console. (requires specialized hardware).

The only card with a updatable FPGA that ever saw the light of day was the DS-Xtreme. That beast had a inbuilt USB controller. But that's a completely different deal and EZFlash did not do that with this card.

There are jtag or some kind of debug/test pads on the reverse side of the PCB that you can see on the label side of the cart. They probably used a special rig to connect that to what ever it is they use to program the FPGA/Flash.

So yeah any FPGA update has to occur in a hardware revision practically speaking. But hopefully they do have card commands setup for this. Someone from EZFlash team would have to chime in on this as it's just speculation at this point.

Honestly though 99.9% of bricks may not be impacted by this. Post 1.06 bricks would involve data corrupted in 0x10000 or higher which their initial locking scheme didn't protect. So yeah even post 1.06 you can still technically unbrick this card if the locked region didn't get corrupt but a brick happened with the unlocked region.

I think corrupted data in locked region might have occured somehow via test build of nds backup tool I had stl25 using at the time (stl25 was the first to find a brick after bricking his cart testing a Casper game of all things. :P )

There is one other report of a brick that involved a DS Aging rom which is a test/debug/dev rom Nintendo made. It's not a normal retail game so as expected EZP did not have a save patch for it so you can guess on what happened with that one. :P

The wp in issue might impact those who want to customize their cart.

On that note if you have a card that is not bricked and has run 1.06 at any point I don't recommend trying to flash anything with this tool There's a small chance the locked region could be altered. I'm not entirely sure how stl25 managed to corrupt this region post 1.06 fw usage. It's possible there's a flaw in the flash chip's write protection that I accidentally exploited with that older revision of this software. I wasn't using the correct erase size range at the time. This tool is updated to erase the full address range of the chip unlike that test build I had stl25 use.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp #1 Lainposter
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The WP pin is connected to the FPGA so theoretically they can. The real question is if they programmed anything in the FPGA for this. If not, they'd have to do so in a hardware revision because the FPGA most likely can't be updated via software on console. (requires specialized hardware).
The FPGA is a GW1N-LV9 and it was manufactured by GOWIN. Programmers for this specific FPGA is expensive, around $60 or more if I recall. The chips alone are not that cheap either.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and we have no source to the FPGA fw they used and I've heard it's especially difficult to try and RE a FPGA fw blob. :P

It's unfortunate DS-Xtreme hasn't open sourced theirs....I vaguely recall they promised they would when they advertised the card but they vanished before that ever happened. Card makers tend to keep that closed sourced to avoid hardware clones competing with them.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp #1 Lainposter
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah and we have no source to the FPGA fw they used and I've heard it's especially difficult to try and RE a FPGA fw blob. :P

It's unfortunate DS-Xtreme hasn't open sourced theirs....I vaguely recall they promised they would when they advertised the card but they vanished before that ever happened. Card makers tend to keep that closed sourced to avoid hardware clones competing with them.
Only way is to dump the firmware with those expensive programmers, of which nobody seems to successfully do so yet, or produce clones of the EZP.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Looks like you can use their bootloader (it's embedded in the exploited game they use) as the main rom for the cart. The only limitation is I have to use the ABJJ game code the original game it used had. Seems their blowfish keys are hard-coded. (sadly means no DSi ntrboot support. I checked, no blowfish keys stored on flash. It's hardcoded by FPGA)

This new video shows the new v1.1 build as I flash a custom rom to the cart. I tweaked the UI a bit and progress bar has the new color scheme as well.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I have updated first post to include a ZIP file that contains IPS patch to convert a rom dump of the game they used into the version they use on their flash. Note you need to cut the rom to 0x400000 (4MB) and make sure ntr secure area of arm9 binary is encrypted. (rom dumps usually have this as decrypted).

Also included is a converted rom of their bootloader to be used in place of the spoofed game if you don't wish to go through that process (as I can't provide their originaly flash dump because it contains copyrighted game data). The card will still be usuable but will require a soft modded 3DS/DSi to boot. (will of coarse work fine on unmodded DS/DS Lites of coarse). However because I've sanitized the dump of any copyrighted data the ntrboot payload may not work correctly if there was any data for it located elsewhere in the game rom. Though I doubt this. It appears they have the entire ntrboot rom stored at 0x1000 so I think it should still work. This is mainly what the IPS patch does. It restores that ntr boot payload as well as their bootloader and exploit code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://fasikl.com/mindforce/