Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
residentevilmercenaries3dcoverart.jpg

Buying a pre-owned copy of Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D means that you will be completing someone else’s game. Capcom, for unknown reasons, has made it so that the save data can not be deleted. Many are speculating that this was done on purpose in an effort to combat pre-owned sales. Simply put, if you can not buy it used you will have to buy it new, and if you buy it new it means more money for Capcom.

What we would like is to hear your take on this issue. Do you feel that there is a reason for not allowing users to delete their own save data? Do you feel it was done with the intention of forcing more new game sales? Are you angry with Capcom for putting this limitation on the software you pay for? Please think about the issue and let us know your opinion.

D

Deleted User

I think Capcom is dumb for doing this, they're only making themselves look bad.

yuka001

Trophies
XP
Country
But can you not start a new game and overwrite the old save? Or worst case scenario, try corrupting the save (remove the card while saving for instance) so it gets deleted? Also, I'm baffled Nintendo would allow something like that on their machine, they're kind of picky with this kind of stuff, usually...

PriMieon

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i was not buying resident evil anyway but i think it sucks ...what is if you want to start the game from the beginning ???
i always had a lot of respect but now i think they suck if they do this to every game

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem:

For this title alone, it doesn't matter that much. It's just an expanded upon mini-game that costs $40 for one reason or another. The problem I foresee is that this could open the gates for other developers. If other developers like this, the 3DS could become a system of new games only unless you like buying a totally completed game that you can't complete yourself. It also alienates those who find themselves waiting to buy used copies out of monetary needs, as suddenly it is either buy a completed game, or save up another $30 and buy it new. Not exactly an attractive proposition.

I don't want developers thinking this is okay for the likes of the PSV either. With the switch to cartridge based media, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few games that utilize this now.

Apparently the sheer amount of new copies of games sold just isn't enough. They want to discourage used game sales, as to enforce the bloated prices of games.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
what if developers are planning to design and sell a 3ds cart save data deletion utility. they could sell them to the big chain stores, make it some crazy hardware linked to the store in some unique way so it can't be resold. the stores could then wipe the data before selling the cart.

yea, its probably far fetched, but that is exactly what i would have suggested if i was sitting in on the meeting.

-another world

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't the data stored in such a way that you can't just delete it though? I believe somebody mentioned it using a save system kind of like Pokemon so that even if you mess up the first save through the likes of corruption, there is still a back up that it can nab and continue to work fine.

I could see a tool like that coming about, but not for about another year or so at least (unless somebody gets on top of it ASAP).

D

Deleted User

I don't think it matters that much, considering there's no need to start fresh on your game. It still sucks, somewhat, for the people who were considering to buy a used copy.

BTW: Why didn't you link to the original discussion?

liewhl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does this mean even u complete, u cannot replay it?
i hope other game from capcom on 3ds dun be affected.
game like pheonix wright, ghost trick will not be as fun if i can only play once for each chapter

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Not sure if this was posted in the other thread butThe news that Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D save data cannot be deleted sparked a frenzy worldwide, with rental companies and retailers working out the impact it'll have on their businesses. Major games retailer GameStop made the bold decision not to trade the game in from customers, but has now changed its corporate mind and will accept trade-ins from today.

Although it's not clear what led to the change of heart — other than the sizeable margins on the sale of pre-owned goods, of course — a company spokesperson had this to say:

GameStop did ask the U.S. store base to stop accepting trades on Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D as we evaluated the save system for the game. Upon further review of the process with our publisher partner, Capcom, GameStop will resume taking trades on the game effective Wednesday, June 29.

Capcom has been keen to stress that this move was not intended to combat pre-owned sales — for which the original publisher sees no revenue, of course — but we'd be surprised if the publisher was doing cartwheels at the announcement its game will be sold second-hand after all.[/p]
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/06/g..._mercenaries_3d

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, the game shouldn't have passed by Nintendo Standards. The Technical Requirements that nintendo demands, does ask that obligatory, a save game can be erased or overwritten... no idea how this game passed nintendo standards... either nintendo did a poor job of checking the version they received, or capcom gave one hell of a bribe to get their game that way on market.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slave said:
Actually, the game shouldn't have passed by Nintendo Standards. The Technical Requirements that nintendo demands, does ask that obligatory, a save game can be erased or overwritten... no idea how this game passed nintendo standards... either nintendo did a poor job of checking the version they received, or capcom gave one hell of a bribe to get their game that way on market.

If the last generation was any indication, Nintendo's "technical requirements" are absolutely nothing. There are games so broken, bad, and glitchy that got released on Nintendo platforms that save resetting is their smallest issue.

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, there is no difference if consumers are pirating games or buying games to the developer, so shouldn't they tackle it like they do with piracy, but if they are gonna try and tackle used game sales then they should be more carefull with their pricing! But as everything is slowly but surely shifting to digital, in the future hard copies and used games may not even exist

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
what a shitload of fuck!!

this is only going to set precedent for other companies to start following suit and shafting consumers...

this only strengthens my "hacking views" on the 3DS...they were extremely low..but due to greed..they are climbing
mad.gif
If these bastards don't watch it...the secret exploit to play backups on the 3DS might be unveiled..i'm sure hackers who hold the key to 3DS pirate are shaking their heads and watching.

it seems like the game companies have been on a frontal assault on pre-used game sales..which GameStop makes a a ton of their money from. Don't companies have contracts with GameStop? (pre order this and get this content that would otherwise be locked forever in the game). Digital download only handhelds, online access fee (for buying it second hand), and now save data that can't be fucking erased?? If they don't watch it...GameStop might just finally say "fuck you" and that will be the end of special pre order bonuses..

they can bullshit all they want and say they are not doing this to "combat pre-used game sales"...if that is not the purpose...than what the fuck did they do it for? because it seems to me by not letting a user delete save data off a 3DS game IS FUCKING HURTING THE PRE-USED GAME MARKET. Assholes.
dry.gif

edit - jalaneme - I love your rebellious profile picture and signature. RESIST THE POWER.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night