ROM Hack [REQUEST] Someone interested in making a Translation of "Daigyakuten Saiban"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBagel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Repack script is working:
https://github.com/FrozenFish24/TurnaboutTools/blob/master/arcRepack.py

And revised Unpack script:
https://github.com/FrozenFish24/TurnaboutTools/blob/master/arcUnpack.py

I tried unpacking and repacking a few .arc files and most of them came out identical. The ones that differed, I assume, did so because a different compression level was used, but i don't think it should cause any problems.

Don't try and repack anything you got from the old script, I was stupidly not writing the files in binary mode, so they were coming out partially corrupt and the wrong size. Also the game seems to care about preserving the file order within the archives so I had to make sure to note that down during unpack.

There's better argument parsing too, so you should just be able to drag and drop .arc files or extracted directories onto the scripts and have it work now.

Also a very WIP .tex converter if anyone's interested:
https://github.com/FrozenFish24/TurnaboutTools/blob/master/TEXporter.py

Let me know if you encounter any bugs.
Damn it can some reupload that Texporter.py link please?

Dollarluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took the time to browse through what's been posted and I'm liking what I've been seeing. Hopefully, this will get finished one day if Capcom never localizes it.

Gazelle_Bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dowolf is making a LP on youtube
Perhaps you could ask him if you could get his translation to have less work to do

Dowolf has already been here. He wants to completely localize the game as opposed to a translation, so he's doing it on his own. This LP here more faithful to the original translation.

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dowolf has already been here. He wants to completely localize the game as opposed to a translation, so he's doing it on his own. This LP here more faithful to the original translation.

But... There's a difference between not localising and literal translation. There are two things about this playthrough that means there's no point contacting him:

A) This was literally translated, which means that they make it needlessly complicated. You don't need to say: "Tooth removal treatment" when it's much easier on the tongue and much more easy to say than "had his tooth removed". Just because it's delocalised, please don't make it literal for the express purpose of making it harder to understand so that it seems more Japanese. Dowolf did a good job in making it seem old-school and still easy to understand. From what I can see, there aren't a crazy amount of references, so what's the harm in asking for help from him? You don't need to be enemies/rivals just because you disagree with each other.

B) The uploader isn't the translator, he has a partner. But I still hold that you guys shouldn't do a literal translation, just a deloocalised one.

By the way, I feel like I've been really negative about it during this thread. What you guys are doing is awesome. Even if I think it could be done better, you guys have made incredible progress, so you guys are awesome.

Reactions: SoyAlexPop
D

Deleted User

Why don't we just put in the text from Dowolf's version AND have a separate patch with the text from GBATemp's translation? Kind of a win win. We get both a literal and a localized translation.

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why are you al complaining about such stupid things? I want a translation, I don't care if the protagonist is called Ryonosuke or Potato.
Now you've got me wanting a Potato Wright. :rofl: That would be awesome! But seriously, you're right. At least we get to play the game, so you know,

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
As long as it's a translation I can understand, it's good to me. I had trouble deciphering the humor in a lot of the Yokai talk between Jinxie and Blackquill in The Monstrous Turnabout in Dual Destinies because the translation team decided it was not right to localize Yokai into something else with being used so heavily, but as a result I just felt completely alienated reading through it, and I never got if it was supposed to be hard to decipher and that was funny or if it just wasn't funny because it was impossible to decipher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo