Homebrew RELEASE Ren'Py port to Nintendo Switch

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
There is no middleware or 3rd party engine for official SDK publicly available without signing an NDA.

Monogame and Heaps.io manage the task of being deployable straight to Ninty's middleware/ Switch's eshop just fine, not sure why RenPy seemingly can't. (Apart from the $$$ on offer for porting jobs).

Frankly I find your double-speak off-putting.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Monogame and Heaps.io manage the task of being deployable straight to Ninty's middleware/ Switch's eshop just fine, not sure why RenPy seemingly can't. (Apart from the $$$ on offer for porting jobs).

Frankly I find your double-speak off-putting.
Have you actually asked Ratalaika Games for a quote?

Look here for an email --> http://www.ratalaikagames.com/contact.php
and ask for a quote.

It's not that hard to just send an e-mail.

Last edited by uyjulian,

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
Have you actually asked Ratalaika Games for a quote?

More double speak. Do you have any ability to simply speak plainly? What is it you're particularly trying to say with this question?

Why ask them when other solutions would be £0? (like Monogame, or Heaps, which could even do 3D characters and sets...) Or would take a %, but offer far more flexibility (like Unity). These are all decisions made at the stage where teams are deciding on a game engine... not after they've finished development only to find out they didn't know about particular terms and conditions.

Last edited by Waygeek,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
More double speak. Why ask them when other solutions would be £0? (like Monogame, or Heaps, which could even do 3D characters and sets...) Or would take a %, but offer far more flexibility (like Unity). These are all decisions made at the stage where teams are deciding on a game engine... not after they've finished development only to find out they didn't know about particular terms and conditions.
I thought you already had a game released on PC. If that is not the case, I would start with Unity if you are planning to target consoles as first class. There are many visual novel plugins available for Unity.

If you really want to use this project as a basis for official release on the Nintendo Switch... you are on your own. Sorry.
You can try to use NRO2NSP and submit the result...

Last edited by uyjulian,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Good news: The error causing a data abort (due to a memory allocation failure) has been fixed and will be in the next release.
Bad news: Ren'Py has a memory leak, so you will need to roll back, save the game, restart the game, and load the game.

Reactions: mathew77

uyjulian

Homebrewer
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you talk to the monogame/heaps.io devs yet?

Does your engine support apngs?
I don't plan to, as I am not a registered developer, and you probably aren't also.
Heaps.io: for Consoles (Nintendo Switch...), please contact us at xxx if you are a registered developer for one or several of these
Monogame: Supported Platforms
* Consoles (for registered developers)
* Nintendo Switch

It supports displaying the first frame of apngs. If you want to use animation, see the documentation on Movie Displayables and Movie Sprites: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.html#movie-displayables-and-movie-sprites

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing