Julee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was just thinking, GBAtemp, implies that its a temporary site, in the very fact it was just that, Megaroms was always supposed to be the dominant of the two... Should prolly at some point think about renaming it..But then...by the time you guys get around to it, the next portable system will be a big hit and pfft, site dont even matter any more...

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The thing is, GBAtemp is known more as a site with info on Nintendo handhelds and not just the GBA. The name itself doesn't really reflect the site anymore, its more of a recognizable symbol more than an actual definition of the site.

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
:wtf:

this has been discussed many times before but we will NEVER change the site name,the name gbatemp is (in)famous and changing would be totally pointless and unnecessary

plus no matter what anyone says gbatemp is still kivans even though he is no longer active

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
If its not broken, don't fix it.

Everyone knows GBATemp as GBATemp, changing it would cause uneeded problems with sponsors etc and potentially lose us hits/members/press.

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the DS is out and kicking, so is GBAtemp.
yet we haven't had a name change...

That is just because the DS is a filler system to sustain kids until GBA2. j/k
laugh.gif

Julee

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ah but then you get the people who would wonder what KIND of pie...pfft.. then the subsites would be made... LEMONPIEtemp, PUMPKINPIEtemp, etc, etc.. madness..

L

lastdual

I'm fine with GBAtemp, but I think that the GBA moniker will eventually make the page look out of date to potential new users who are not as 'into the scene" as the rest of us. (edit: although some might consider that a good thing...)

In the long run, I think a more timeless name might be a good thing if we see traffic dying down - timeless as in not containing a console's name, ie not DStemp or PSPtemp, as those will eventually go out of style, but maybe just playing on the "temp" theme with something short, easy and ambiguous like Gtemp.net

Just make sure that if you ever move you keep all your forum data intact! It would suck to see the page start from scratch.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Speaking of, Shaun, we just got the new letterheads you requested. They misspelled your name, and the new mascot looks suspciciously like Hachiemon rather than anything recognizable nowadays. I don't think we'll be going back to them for the portal redesign, no?

While there's merit in thinking about timlessness, GBAtemp has been around for long enough in internet terms to effectively BE timeless. The name works, it's well-known, and we don't need a name change.

Besides, the tale of why GBAtemp is named GBAtemp is already somewhat convoluted (and usually breaks into the history of the forum AND the channel). Why add another step to it for all the storytellers to learn?

-Tempest out.-

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Notice how all the staff members instantly jump in to say that we still want the name GBAtemp?
tongue.gif

That kind of proves that the name and icon is close to our hearts.....in other words no name change
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative