Hacking Removing USB Loader GX "full" channel r1256

A_N_K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently received a homebrewed Wii from a friend of a friend. I remember playing games on it through USB Loader GX about 5-7 years ago so the software versions on it (from that time) were pretty outdated.

I updated the cIOS and Homebrew Channel, but now I'm running into some issues. When I try to open the Homebrew Channel from inside of USB Loader GX (not updated yet) it throws an exception. There's just no way I can get them to work together, and I'm thinking it's because USB Loader is an old version. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble updating it.

It took some time but I think I've managed to figure out that he originally installed the "full" hybrid channel. When I turn on the Wii, it boots straight into USB Loader. If I replace the version on my SD card or HDD it will boot to that version, but with both removed, it boots to r1256.

I'd like to completely remove the full channel install so I can replace it with a forwarder and r1272 (most current version) but every way I've tried so far has failed. Below are some things I've tried:
  • Deleting the channel from Settings only removes the forwarder to the "full" channel. If I turn my Wii off and turn it back on it boots straight into USB Loader GX again.
  • I can get USB Loader to "update" through the in-app menu to r1260, but that only puts the updated files on my SD card and doesn't actually update the version stored in the Wii's memory, so as soon as I remove the SD card and run USB Loader it reverts to r1256.
  • I have tried following the directions in this post (https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1111#post-6478222), but it doesn't work for me. Running the 3.0 channel WAD to "uninstall" just gives me errors because I think it can't find the original "full" channel install.
  • Installing the 3.0 full channel and then uninstalling it does not remove what's already on there.
I'm at a loss! How do I get rid of it?!

List of hardware I have available:
  • White Wii (post 2008) on System Menu 4.3U
  • USB 2.0 External HDD 500GB
  • 2GB SD card
Ideally, I'd like to be able to run all apps/games from the HDD and not use the SD card at all.

Please let me know if you can help solve this issue, or need me to provide any more information! Sorry in advance if someone has asked something like this already.
Thank you!

Last edited by A_N_K,

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Its hard to know exactly what you have on your Wii but try this: Hold reset while you turn on your Wii and Preloader/Priiloader should come up. Go to settings and you will see the Autoboot option set to installed file. Change it to Wii Menu, save the settings and exit preloader. Now just install and use your new forwarder.

I will wait for your response and we'll look into more options if necessary.

A_N_K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no idea you could bring up Priiloader like this! Thank you!!

I set the autoboot option to System Menu like you said, then ran the WAD that installs the forwarder from my SD. Removed the SD and turned the system on— so far so good! It went to the menu. Selected the USB Loader channel and since the SD was out, it took me back to the Wii system menu!

I’m guessing the loaded “full” channel or whatever it was is still on there, but it’s good to know I can finally bypass it. Is there any way to remove it completely?

Last edited by A_N_K,
Reactions: jeannotte

A_N_K

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @jeannotte!

Although I understand leaving the SD card in would be ideal, I actually need it for other things so I’d rather not use it at all.

I have my HDD split into two partitions (FAT32 and NTFS) and that usually works fine for all I’m doing.

Is there a particular reason other than running homebrew etc that I would need to leave the SD card in?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei5hC8ahLoc