[Release] VirtuaNES for 3DS

bubble2k16 Mar 23, 2017.

1. bubble2k16
    OP

bubble2k16 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2016
    Senegal
    It uses VirtuaNES as its core, so it will only accept save states from VirtuaNES.

Oops I forgot about it. Sorry! I guess I will look at it another time when I am available.

2. c4z4dor2

c4z4dor2 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2017
    Mexico
    I would like to play duck hunt in this wonder ... will there be the possibility to implement an option to swap screen top / bottom and use the touch screen as zapper ??? in nesDS 1.3b can be done, but the compatibility of games is far compared to this wonder of emulator

really is a great emu :D

3. 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Greece
    Gamecube Land
    I had a problem with getting Fire emblem Shadow dragon and the blade of light & Gaiden (both games were English translation patched)
    to run properly in the emulator :(

They ran at an FPS: 49.9 (50) in VirutalNES, this produced sound lags & slowdown

Other games run at the normal FPS rate of 59.9 (60).

so, the simple fix for this was changing the FPS: 49.9 -> 59.9 (60) in the emulator options.

this apparently fixed the sound and slow gameplay lag issues :)
    the games run "perfectly" in virtualNES now

so other games have this fps issue?

4. FateForWindows

FateForWindows GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 8, 2017
    United States
    It's just because it falsely detected the games as PAL roms. It's not an issue and it's why the option exists.

5. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Thanks! This emulator is not only fast, but it supports ROM hacks! Thanks a bunch!

6. kathy

kathy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    United States
    the "ninth vanilla level design contest" hack for super mario world has a softlock upon walking around in the "worst levels" area

7. SomeOrdinaryGamr

SomeOrdinaryGamr Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2016
    United States
    Could you add a feature which displays the cover art of the game when you hover over it, when selecting a game?

Last edited by SomeOrdinaryGamr, Apr 14, 2018
  8. IP60

IP60 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 2, 2018
    Canada
    awesome nes and snes emulators! thank you!

EDIT oh wow you made a pc16 and genesis emulator too..plz dude bless us with a GBC/GBA emulator port the best one is in DSI mode which sucks.

thanks for showing love for the old 3ds/2ds

Last edited by IP60, May 5, 2018
    angelhp, AdenTheThird and navimor like this.
  9. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    I couldn't use the search function to scout messages about IPS patching so I'll ask directly;
    @bubble2k16 I know this is supposed to be a completed work (and it's great, even as a N3DS user). But would it be eventually possible to implement a IPS patches reading function in orde rto apply them on the fly, just like the Windows version does (or your own SNes9x port for 3DS) ?

PS: about SNES9x compatibility list, I don't know how to edit it, so I'll give you a little info: on n3DS, there are some levels (ex: lava ones) where thin red/pink/yellow lines cross the whole screen. Nothing making it impossible to play of course.

Last edited by AyanamiRei, May 16, 2018
  10. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    VirtuaNES for 3DS v1.02 - Red NES Style Edition

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Credit and thanks goes to...

What is this?
    This is... not going to be an exact repeat of a Q&A I already did. Go to this post. Swap emulators, same thing:
    I'm using the *.cia version. Why isn't the top background picture showing up?
    Put the virtuanes_3ds_top.png at the root of the SD card.

I don't buy this. This doesn't quite look or feel anything like a NES or FAMICOM. What gives?
    When you only have red, black, white, and gray to work with, you will too struggle to find and come up with colors that fit the NES motiff.

Update Changes Log

Alternative Series
    • Snes9x - [1]
    • VirtuaNES - [2]
    • PicoDrive - [3]
    • TemperPCE - [4]

Attached Files:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Oct 9, 2018
  11. twistedominoes

twistedominoes GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    United States
    Cheats don't work for super mario bros 3. I'm putting the cheats in the right format
    Nvm

Last edited by twistedominoes, Aug 19, 2018
  12. Vulpes-Vulpeos

Vulpes-Vulpeos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2018
    Ukraine
    Украина
    @bubble2k16, hello, any chance you can allocate some free time to make your emulators compile with new Devkitpro?

Robz8 likes this.
  13. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Apologies
    For anyone who downloaded the alternative VirtuaNES fork, I made a mistake in missing the color edits in some of the panels.

Many of you may have never noticed the aesthetic issue if you never touch the button and emulation settings. The green coloring for some of the panels was carried over from bubble's original emulator. These were suppose to be colored in pink.

As for why this was missed, Bubble's VirtuaNES, PicoDrive, and TemperPCE emulators were compiled slightly differently than his Snes9x. Instead of hex editing a single line of 3 bytes value that controls all those green panels in Snes9x, the other emulators have over 30 individual inputs for each of them.

The program I used, IPA-Pro, missed identifying those inputs because the color in question has a value of 00 97 A7. IDA Pro has difficulty picking out 00 as part of a variable against the background null values. I didn't notice the mistake in my first go with VirtuaNES because of some emotional difficulties reading about the bad news that freeShop was getting borked by Nintendo's CDN server block around the time I was finishing up this NES emulator... The mistake was only found later when working on the alternative PicoDrive.

An argument could made here about compiling from the source code, and I would 100% agree choosing this route is much better than this hacky hex editing method, but the devkitARM option isn't reasonably possible on my end.

The corrections have been made with a new release. Please download this version if you like the envisioned matching pink better.

For anyone who enjoys the bits of green or find the pink too overwhelming, the original release will be kept alongside the intended release.

14. ArtemisM

ArtemisM Kupo for Kupo Nuts

Apr 14, 2010
    United States
    Pretty sure Kirby renderrs like that on a real NES.

15. Gaveet

Gaveet Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2018
    Spain
    Hi!, I would like to ask a question,I know the cheats are:

"Y,cheat code,description"

There are cheats that are two codes, for example:

"GZVKIYSA + ATVKYNGG"

How should I put these?

Because in the readme it says:

1. [Y/N] represents whether the cheat is enabled. Whenever you enable/disable it in the emulator, the .CHX cheat file will be modified to save your changes.
    2. [CheatCode] must be an NES Game Genie 6- or 8-character cheat code. An NES Game-Genie code looks like this: GXOUSUSE.
    3. [Name] is a short name that represents this cheat. Since this will appear in the emulator, keep it short (< 30 characters).

And the one I want to put, are two codes together, Because this is how it is in the web of cheats codes ... Greetings and thanks ;)

sorry for my bad english XD

16. kathy

kathy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2012
    United States
    Are we ever going to get an in-game interface for adding cheats? Having to edit the .chx file is so tedious.

17. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Code:
    Y,GZVKIYSA,Cheat part 1
    Y,ATVKYNGG,Cheat part 2

Gaveet likes this.
  18. Gaveet

Gaveet Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2018
    Spain
    yes, very thanks :-)

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  19. sedusg

sedusg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2016
    Switzerland
    Bug report:
    I used Virtuanes 1.02 cia on o3ds 11.7.0-40J.
    I tested Akumajou Densetsu JPN which is Castlevania 3 in Japan.
    I found when I press home button in game and return to virtuanes,the emulator freezes,just the screen freeze but game goes on.
    A bypass method is save a state and exit virtuanes,open virtuanes and load that state.
    Also,"auto save state when exit and load state when load" not work on this game.

20. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fan-HAT-ic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Bug:

When playing Metroid English version, pressing the home button while playing the game causes the audio to freeze on one note and continue playing, over the home menu music. No idea if this is an issue with other games.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted