Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can do this safe 4.2 upgrade the manual way (link in opening post). That way you can choose the Japanese versions of the shop and the rest USA. But I can't say 100% if it will be safe.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
UScr00ge said:
Possible stupid question regarding the first post...is this updater safe to run if we've changed our shop region to Japanese and everything else is USA? I did that for MH3, and I think I'll lose my japanese funnymoney if I change my region back for this update.
I don't know enough about shop region changing to tell you if this will work or not. I strongly suggest you return everything to the local region of your Wii and leave it that way afterwards if you want to update. Make a backup with BootMii as boot2 as well.

This is good advice to follow. Basically bring your Wii back to its own region 100% before performing this upgrade. As for CIOSCorp users, I would suggest to uninstall it before performing the upgrade. Remember, CIOSCorp maxes out all of your version numbers, and I do not know what type of adverse effect it will have on the upgrade. I know CIOSCorp (recent) has an uninstall feature. I suppose you can go ahead and reinstall it after the upgrade is complete if you wanted to.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zektor: Thank you. Uninstalling cIOSCORP using the package provided worked
biggrin.gif
. Thank you!

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Zektor: Thank you. Uninstalling cIOSCORP using the package provided worked
biggrin.gif
. Thank you!

No problem. I'm trying to answer questions as fast as I can, but currently my wife is in the hospital and to make matters worse I'm sick with some kind of flu. So, if anybody has questions and don't get a response anytime soon...well you know why.

jamisonf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worked great for me, had to install non patched 36 to get HBC 1.0.6 to install... upgraded patched 70 with bug for wiiware, preloader wouldn't install so i had to reinstall orginal 36... install preloader, then reinstall cios 36 rev10.

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi Every 1 im back with another noob question, here is the sit. i just updated from 4.1 to 4.2 using zektors safe update. so now my preloader is gone and ive made a new nand backup using bootmi. oh and yes bootmii is installed as boot2.

my question is if my wii bricks, and it might cause im still not able to play my VC/Wiiware games (so you know im still messing with it). Will i be able to restore my Wii using only bootmii and my nand backup, or am i at risk without preloader v0.29?

also i get a black screen then returns to the system menu every time i try to load VC game. why?

There are so my ppl on here asking for help cause they went and bricked their wii i dont want to be 1 of em.

1 more thing, i want to say thank you to all the ppl that are behind homebrew and the ones putting these prepacked mod file with out you i would be lost. i play call of duty world @ war so much my biggest fear was that i would soon burn out my game.
now i have my game backed and no longer fear having to return to G_Stop just to buy another copy of the same title.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
transam81 said:
Hi Every 1 im back with another noob question, here is the sit. i just updated from 4.1 to 4.2 using zektors safe update. so now my preloader is gone and ive made a new nand backup using bootmi. oh and yes bootmii is installed as boot2.

my question is if my wii bricks, and it might cause im still not able to play my VC/Wiiware games (so you know im still messing with it). Will i be able to restore my Wii using only bootmii and my nand backup, or am i at risk without preloader v0.29?

also i get a black screen then returns to the system menu every time i try to load VC game. why?

There are so my ppl on here asking for help cause they went and bricked their wii i dont want to be 1 of em.

1 more thing, i want to say thank you to all the ppl that are behind homebrew and the ones putting these prepacked mod file with out you i would be lost. i play call of duty world @ war so much my biggest fear was that i would soon burn out my game.
now i have my game backed and no longer fear having to return to G_Stop just to buy another copy of the same title.
Yes, BootMii as boot2 will protect you from almost anything (of course, don't do an official update). VC and Wiiware that you bought and downloaded normally should work fine, so I don't know what your problem is.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
wolffangalchemist said:
kinda wish i used this instead of waninkoko's updater.
while it didn't give me any problems i don't want the wii speak channel.

So why don't you just delete it via Channel management ?

bulldog7114

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zektor im running on softmod 4.1e with hermes 222/223 and shop channel updated to work via wiiscu i tried your 4.2 safe updater but it keeps comming up with a shop channel error then returning to the wii menu do i really need to update to 4.2 and if yes can i have a link to your offline guide as i may have more luck.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bulldog7114 said:
zektor im running on softmod 4.1e with hermes 222/223 and shop channel updated to work via wiiscu i tried your 4.2 safe updater but it keeps comming up with a shop channel error then returning to the wii menu do i really need to update to 4.2 and if yes can i have a link to your offline guide as i may have more luck.

What exactly is the error? The offline guide is linked in my sig.

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I keep getting the internet error stuff, which I accept as unavoidable, can anybody tell me the order this downloads in? I know I got to the shop channel before it quit, so does that mean I can just install the shop channel and system menu myself and I'm done? Or is there something else I'm missing.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
alexcalibur said:
Since I keep getting the internet error stuff, which I accept as unavoidable, can anybody tell me the order this downloads in? I know I got to the shop channel before it quit, so does that mean I can just install the shop channel and system menu myself and I'm done? Or is there something else I'm missing.
It updates IOS70, then all the IOSes in numerical order listed in zektor's original guide, then the shop channel, then the system menu.

glasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I updated using this installer and now I get error 2011 with wad manager 1.4 when I try to install a wad - anyone know why this is and what I can do to resolve the issue?

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glasso said:
I updated using this installer and now I get error 2011 with wad manager 1.4 when I try to install a wad - anyone know why this is and what I can do to resolve the issue?

Did you have cIOS249 installed before performing the update? If so, you need to select it to be used in wad manager. If not, you'll need to use TBR MOD and get trucha back into your system to reinstall cIOS249.

glasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nope - it didn't say anything about needing anything done beforehand. my wii says it's on 4.1 E even though the updater completed successfully.
I was way back on 3.1 before this. I did nand save before updating using bootmii. should I just go back to that or what should I do? I currently don't have wireless on my wii - I just brought it over to a friend who had wifi. have pc internet access tho.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
glasso said:
nope - it didn't say anything about needing anything done beforehand

Well, I didn't say that the updater would help you to install illegal wad files either, now did I?
smile.gif

The claim to fame with the updater is that it gets you EXACTLY where Nintendo's official update puts you, but does NOT delete your Custom IOSes (249, 222, 223) or your boot2. If you didn't have a custom IOS installed before the update, sorry about that. Do like I said and trucha bug restore and install a custom IOS (like what everyone and their mother has installed....Waninkoko's cIOS249_rev14)

You can use Trucha Bug Restorer Mod to do this offline as well...although it is going to require some reading. The reason wad installs always worked fine for you is because the trucha bug was in v3.1 (it was removed in v3.3). So, any firmware after v3.2 needs the trucha bug restored. Either do it or go back to v3.1...what can I say.

BTW: If it says you are on 4.1E, the updater did NOT complete successfully. It should be 4.2E for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: