ROM Hack [Release] Ultimate GEN-MD Forwarder Maker for 3DS

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is pretty cool, but I have some thoughts.

For purely Mega Drive / Genesis / SMS / SG-1000 games Genesis GX is a better emulator base than Picodrive. It's more accurate, has better video and much better sound. However, like the SNES VC, it requires an N3DS and its faster CPU in order to run at full speed.

Picodrive is more versatile in that it can support full speed SMS / Megadrive across both O3DS and N3DS but requires an N3DS for Mega-CD, has no support for SG-1000 and needs CFW for 32X.

Basically I think what I'm trying to say is that I'd love to see a release using Genesis GX because whilst both cores are essential if you're a fan of these machines, N3DS users might enjoy the superior emulation the more accurate core provides for Mega Drive / SMS.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool, ill look into that. how well does it run on an o3ds though? Cause once my little sis sees shes gonna start bugging me like no tommorrow XD
I have tried it on my o3ds. 20 fps with cfw in crash bandicoot 3. Without cfw the game is 100% unplayable (even on new 3ds)

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
This is pretty cool, but I have some thoughts.

For purely Mega Drive / Genesis / SMS / SG-1000 games Genesis GX is a better emulator base than Picodrive. It's more accurate, has better video and much better sound. However, like the SNES VC, it requires an N3DS and its faster CPU in order to run at full speed.

Picodrive is more versatile in that it can support full speed SMS / Megadrive across both O3DS and N3DS but requires an N3DS for Mega-CD, has no support for SG-1000 and needs CFW for 32X.

Basically I think what I'm trying to say is that I'd love to see a release using Genesis GX because whilst both cores are essential if you're a fan of these machines, N3DS users might enjoy the superior emulation the more accurate core provides for Mega Drive / SMS.
I did not know all this info. I assumed that the PicoDrive core was the best one for Genesis/Mega Drive/32x/Sega CD (am I missing anything else?).

Sure, I'll let the user to choice which core he/she want to use as soon as I came back from my holidays (about mid January).

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For now it's limited to 3-button joystick. Is the 32x a Genesis plugin, isn't it? So 32x uses the exact same joystick that Genesis (both 3 and 6 buttons versions)?
Correct, and so is Sega CD.
Worth noting 32x emulation seems at least a bit off with PicoDrive (at least with Chaotix)

Also, to all you saying to do PSX:
Is PSX really worth it? It really doesn't run anything at full speed on o3DS or n3DS.
I'd love to see one of these for PocketSNES, or the other systems with bad/no VC support, but with good emulators.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Correct, and so is Sega CD.
Worth noting 32x emulation seems at least a bit off with PicoDrive (at least with Chaotix)

Is PSX really worth it? It really doesn't run anything at full speed on o3DS or n3DS.
I'd love to see one of these for PocketSNES, or the other systems with bad/no VC support, but with good emulators.
On my A9LH N3DS, Xena Warrior Princess run at near full speed :)

Reactions: zeldaism

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did not know all this info. I assumed that the PicoDrive core was the best one for Genesis/Mega Drive/32x/Sega CD (am I missing anything else?).

Sure, I'll let the user to choice which core he/she want to use as soon as I came back from my holidays (about mid January).

Basically, the way I see it as follows:

If you're a N3DS user, Genesis GX is your main Sega emulator. The only use Picodrive has is for running Mega CD and 32X.

If you're an O3DS user, Picodrive is your main Sega emulator. The only use Genesis GX has is to run SG-1000 and Game Gear (neither of which Picodrive supports). As an O3DS user Mega CD and 32X are out of the question.

Game Gear injection is already beautifully taken care of in its own injector (thank you) so that capability of Genesis GX probably doesn't need promoting.

Thanks for the ongoing work with these projects in any case. It's awesome.

Last edited by SG6000,
Reactions: Asdolo

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FF7 runs 55fps on new3ds. that is playable

hell I even got used to running crash bandicoot 3 at 10-26 fps on my o3ds

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my A9LH N3DS, Xena Warrior Princess run at near full speed :)
FF7 runs 55fps on new3ds. that is playable

hell I even got used to running crash bandicoot 3 at 10-26 fps on my o3ds
Sure, but a few near-full-speed titles hardly warrants its own injector.

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
OK, I want you to choose which RetroArch parameters in this list are the best ones, since I'm stuck having to pick one.
  1. English VC message, and automatic save & load state
  2. Custom bottom screen, and automatic save & load state
  3. X toggles menu, and automatic save & load state
  4. Just English VC message
  5. Just custom bottom screen
  6. Just X toggles menu

i chose number 4 only.. keepin it simple.. :D

by the way, my Castlevania Bloodlines runs full speed for me..at least it feels that way for me compared to my memory of playing that game on the actual console many years ago..

Last edited by owek1,
Reactions: CatmanFan

Laserschwert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is really cool! Apart from it being more flexible than injection, I really like the option to pick a custom image for the lower screen. This would allow to put some game relevant information down there (like weapon stats from the manual, club distances for a golf game, etc.).

Reactions: Asdolo

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
This is really cool! Apart from it being more flexible than injection, I really like the option to pick a custom image for the lower screen. This would allow to put some game relevant information down there (like weapon stats from the manual, club distances for a golf game, etc.).
You can do that, but make sure that the image size is 320x240 (the 3DS bottom screen resolution) and that it has no transparency.

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a bit off topic

hypothetically speaking could a forwarder like this one be compiled but for the SNES9X emulator? I know there is already one for blrg emulator but SNES9X has better compatibility with the high graphics games

LinkBlaBla

This is Perfect!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a bit off topic

hypothetically speaking could a forwarder like this one be compiled but for the SNES9X emulator? I know there is already one for blrg emulator but SNES9X has better compatibility with the high graphics games

would prefer pocketsnes version run super mario rpg flawless , for real pocksnes aka snes9x 2005 is the best!

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
a bit off topic

Good for games like Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Kirby Super Star, etc. as they can't be injected into the official SNES VC emulator.

Reactions: CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1