Homebrew [RELEASE] Tiramisu Environment | Free CBHC

Yersson9876

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Mitchell and GaryOderNichts for launching Tiramisu, excellent job I love how extra modules like Bloopair run from the beginning, sorry for my English I'm using google translator, thanks for the end-of-year gift!!!

Maschell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Autoboot and HBLInstallerWrapper modules have been updated.

Download the latest Tiramisu package here:
https://tiramisu.foryour.cafe/package/tiramisu (Click on "Download All" and copy the files to your sd card)

Changelog:
- Autoboot: Fix quick starting into applets
- HBLInstallerWrapper: Fix launching channels that execute their own exploits. (e.g. Homebrew launcher channel and any forwarders based on this channel like the Retroarch forwarder)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi,
nice work ! glad seeing you are still working on wiiU.
You worked on the WiiU exploit/plugin/environment for so long, it's probably satisfying to finally have it released :)

I didn't follow WiiU scene recently, I wonder which exploit you are using and how the exploit is working with health & safety compared to haxchi's NDS unsigned rom in content folder.

there are unanswered questions asked multiple times in the thread, like "how the blocking update is working?" while eshop still sorking.
I'm curious too :)
internal "update" folder's right limitation without deleting it, or internal DNS blocking/filtering (I'm not trusting remote dns filter servers, could be changed, or offline), or something else?

question : How to update the firmware on future safe FW release? (ssl cert update, etc.)

Can we run the "installer" environment on first run, or should we follow the guide and run "tiramusu" first without installing, then on next boot run installer?
"Press the A button to check if you can install the PayloadLoader. It should now tell you what app the PayloadLoader can be installed onto."
why check if it "can" be installed? it can't always be done? there are different app it can be installed onto? the guide doesn't tell to select health&safety. maybe it's currently the only possible title.

the installer has "install/update" choice. maybe the guide could add an update page explaining which file to put/replace on SD, run h&s, press X, installer, update. (am I good?)

I suppose haxchi users can keep the patched apps even if the guide suggest to delete it first (can be deleted later), as long as they don't launch haxchi while tiramisu is running. one or the other. but haxchi is not needed anymore if we can patch using h&s app instead.

via the PayloadLoader.
This link on first post is broken.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Autoboot and HBLInstallerWrapper modules have been updated.

Download the latest Tiramisu package here:
https://tiramisu.foryour.cafe/package/tiramisu (Click on "Download All" and copy the files to your sd card)

Changelog:
- Autoboot: Fix quick starting into applets
- HBLInstallerWrapper: Fix launching channels that execute their own exploits. (e.g. Homebrew launcher channel and any forwarders based on this channel like the Retroarch forwarder)
thanks, just tested the usb loader gx forwarder. it worked, no problem.

Reactions: Cyan

Maschell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Maschell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hi,
nice work ! glad seeing you are still working on wiiU.
Hey! Long time no see read! Yeah.. I can't stop working on the wii u 😅... :D
there are unanswered questions asked multiple times in the thread, like "how the blocking update is working?" while eshop still sorking.
Mocha is patching the IOSU to override the link to the update server and the name of name in the XML result. This also happens when booting the console without hacks (no sd card or holding R while launching). Update are not blocked when you boot it an environment that is not using mocha (or an other of mocha without this builtin update blocker).

Can we run the "installer" environment on first run, or should we follow the guide and run "tiramusu" first without installing, then on next boot run installer?
You can directly run the "installer"-environment if you plan to install anyway. The guide is just telling the user to run tiramisu first because the installer step is fully optional.
"Press the A button to check if you can install the PayloadLoader. It should now tell you what app the PayloadLoader can be installed onto."
why check if it "can" be installed? it can't always be done? there are different app it can be installed onto? the guide doesn't tell to select health&safety. maybe it's currently the only possible title.
The installer only supports injecting into H&S, the guide may be a bit misleading there. There is just a summary which title + region will be used for the injection, but no selection.
I suppose haxchi users can keep the patched apps even if the guide suggest to delete it first (can be deleted later), as long as they don't launch haxchi while tiramisu is running. one or the other. but haxchi is not needed anymore if we can patch using h&s app instead.
Yes, in theory you don't need to remove anything. It would still be confusing though. Even setup a coldboot Tiramisu while CBHC is still active should work (aka won't brick your console), but still not recommended. Better have a clean start before migrating.

the installer has "install/update" choice. maybe the guide could add an update page explaining which file to put/replace on SD, run h&s, press X, installer, update. (am I good?)
Yeah, updating the PayloadLoader is exactly the same as updating. You have to remove coldbooting before you can update though. In an ideal world we won't ever need to update the PayloadLoader, at least thats the idea. All the updating should be possible by just putting new files on the sd card.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
couple of things. when I go into the homebrew launcher via mii maker, I can change pages with the d-pad and L/R of the pro controller, but no cursor or hand appears to select a homebrew, so I had to install the pro controller version of the homebrew launcher. that did work. also, when I enabled the quick menu and restarted to check if it worked, not only did it not work, but a message appeared saying that the usb had been unplugged, so I turned it off again. everything else has worked well for me, just thought I'd let you know based on my experiences. :)

::Phoenix::

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks a lot @Maschell for your hard work! It is nice to see some love for the Wii U. If I might ask, why employing such a long/complicated chain of tools? (this is pure curiosity)

From what I can see, the current setup does the following:

1.The Health & Safety app is injected with PayloadFromRPX. When executed, this will look for sd:/wiiu/payload.elf and run it.
2. sd:/wiiu/payload.elf is actually PayloadLoaderPayload. This chainloads another elf in sd:/wiiu/payloads/default/payload.elf.
3. sd:/wiiu/payloads/default/payload.elf is actually CustomRPXLoader. It looks for sd:/wiiu/payload.rpx and executes it.
4. sd:/wiiu/payload.rpx is actually EnvironmentLoader, which will execute the rpx of the default environment.

This is actually executing 4 ELFs/RPXs + all the RPXs of the environment. Why, for example, not kill step 2? What is the purpose for it? Or even further, are there any technical limitations that would not allow EnvironmentLoader to be loaded as an elf by the H&S app, and thus avoiding also step 3?

One last curiosity question: the environment approach is somehow a generalization of what Atmosphere is doing on Switch with modules. The main difference is that with environment, you can group modules into logical units, and choose which ones to run. However, I see (at least myself) only needing one enviroment, where I just put the modules I need. Did you have other use cases in mind that require different environments?

Thanks

Reactions: Snap00

tehrzky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to do a test run of tiramisu today, it was kinda late in the day yesterday and I had tested a few things but largely stopped playing the wii u for the day. just loaded usb loader gx forwarder and opened dkc returns, then I'll try dkc tropical freeze, then nsmb u and nsmb wii. the wii u games I own; the wii games aren't on my system atm. amazing job, @Maschell and @GaryOderNichts . very easy to update files too, no reinstall or anything, which is great!

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has this been tested on other regions? i have a japanese wii u i'd like to install this on, just curious :)

edit ah reading is fundamental - it says all regions.

Reactions: godreborn

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a link to info on this?
This post right here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-v1-6-coldboot-haxchi-cfw.452615/page-91#post-8272093

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm thinking this isn't the biggest deal of a feature to lose, I only ever really quickstart 1 of 2 homebrew apps, the autboot plugin system or sdcafiine (and of course I would quickboot to the homebrew loader or vWii menu, but the return of the system's quickboot screen should replace those quick launch methods). So what I could do is make channels for these 2 homebrew and use them enough so that they appear on my GamePad's quickboot selection screen every time. Yeah, I'm probably about to make the change today I think.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post right here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-v1-6-coldboot-haxchi-cfw.452615/page-91#post-8272093

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm thinking this isn't the biggest deal of a feature to lose, I only ever really quickstart 1 of 2 homebrew apps, the autboot plugin system or sdcafiine (and of course I would quickboot to the homebrew loader or vWii menu, but the return of the system's quickboot screen should replace those quick launch methods). So what I could do is make channels for these 2 homebrew and use them enough so that they appear on my GamePad's quickboot selection screen every time. Yeah, I'm probably about to make the change today I think.
the updates are coming fast, and all it seems to be is replacing files. can now load the homebrew launcher channel as well as usb loader gx forwarder. :D

Reactions: MikaDubbz

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I found a problem (I don't know if someone already pointed out)

If you have an usb device connected to the console and then access system settings, when you go back to Wii U Menu it will say that you've connected/disconnected one of the usb ports, it will then proceed to load the Wii U Menu once again and the same message will pop up again, it will keep looping on that until you reboot the console.

Video:

Started recording it from the moment I powered the console on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: New Orange Pi 🥰