Attention: Pretendo will break certain homebrew and their forwarders (at least in Tiramisu). But there is an easy fix.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few weeks ago, I couldn't launch PPSSPP for the life of me, be it from the homebrew channel or as a forwarder. It came to my attention recently that other homebrew like the latest Retroarch and Loadiine weren't working for others as well. And this was consistent, every. single. time.

I pieced together that these changes happened (at least for me) after recently installing Pretendo. I went ahead and removed nimble.rpx from my WiiU>environments>tiramisu>modules>setup folder and now all this homebrew and their forwarders work again every time on the first time. Not sure what Pretendo is doing, but it absolutely appears to be the culprit.

Of course you lose out on Pretendo, but oh well, I was literally getting nothing from it. Plus maybe bringing this to their attention can help these all live alongside themselves in the future.

If you don't have Pretendo and are still having some homebrew crash, it may perhaps be a different Tiramisu module that I don't have causing the same kind of interference. What are all the modules you have in your WiiU>environments>tiramisu>modules>setup folder? This is all that I have and it all works without issue:
00_mocha.rpx
01_sigpatches.rpx
30_bloopair.rpx
99_autoboot.rpx

If you have any additional modules such as nimble or otherwise. Try removing them and then launching your homebrew.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interesting and surely true, some module /plugins can sometimes affect forwarders, this could help people using pretendo understand how to solve their pb, a day or another, someone else might confirm....Did you knew microwaves were discovered because of a melted snack of an engineer and under the bottom of a cosmonaut? True story! ^^

Last edited by mrmagicm,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@QuarkTheAwesome These people are playing with forwarders which are causing undefined behaviour. Do you, as Pretendo developer, have any word on this?

Really, they blame Pretendo and other things instead of opening their eyes. And you see how they react to me trying to warn them. I don't know what to say anymore...

//EDIT Maybe @GaryOderNichts as Tiramisu and Pretendo developer wants to say something, too?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@QuarkTheAwesome These people are playing with forwarders which are causing undefined behaviour. Do you, as Pretendo developer, have any word on this?

Really, they blame Pretendo and other things instead of opening their eyes. And you see how they react to me trying to warn them. I don't know what to say anymore...
'Playing' lol. I haven't made a new forwarder in years. Also, these issues are tied directly to the homebrew in question, not the forwarder. Even without a forwarder, these homebrew wouldn't launch from the Homebrew Launcher until I removed nimble.rpx.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"To be done" means that you don't believe in non-sense. Problem is....Non-sense does exists and will forever! ^^

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia

Pretendo's Tiramisu support was always a colossal hack and we no longer support it or recommend it for any use case. We tried to allow HBL homebrew to still operate whilst also keeping the patcher code needed for miiverse support in memory, but in all but the most trivial cases it just crashes.

WUPS can accommodate these kind of memory-resident patchers, but for similar reasons, you can't run classic WUPS and any other homebrew at the same time. If you don't need to run homebrew, why use Tiramisu over Aroma? That's why we tried to have Nimble do the impossible and do patching + homebrew at the same time. Yeah, well, you see the result.

If you want to use the Pretendo beta, you can use the Aroma beta, too. Inkay does all the patches needed, and since Aroma is specifically designed to allow plugins and other homebrews to coexist, that works a-ok. I've been slowly updating our setup docs across our website to remove mention of the other, broken tools. Plus, the RCE patcher was Aroma-exclusive, so until recently it was actively unsafe to play on pretendo without using Aroma.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretendo's Tiramisu support was always a colossal hack and we no longer support it or recommend it for any use case. We tried to allow HBL homebrew to still operate whilst also keeping the patcher code needed for miiverse support in memory, but in all but the most trivial cases it just crashes.

WUPS can accommodate these kind of memory-resident patchers, but for similar reasons, you can't run classic WUPS and any other homebrew at the same time. If you don't need to run homebrew, why use Tiramisu over Aroma? That's why we tried to have Nimble do the impossible and do patching + homebrew at the same time. Yeah, well, you see the result.

If you want to use the Pretendo beta, you can use the Aroma beta, too. Inkay does all the patches needed, and since Aroma is specifically designed to allow plugins and other homebrews to coexist, that works a-ok. I've been slowly updating our setup docs across our website to remove mention of the other, broken tools. Plus, the RCE patcher was Aroma-exclusive, so until recently it was actively unsafe to play on pretendo without using Aroma.
Good to know, I hadn't been keeping up with the status of Pretendo lately. Love what you guys are doing with it, but I totally get why and how it may not play nice with Tiramisu. This might be the biggest thing that I'll be missing by not moving on to Aroma anytime soon here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto