[RELEASE] Sonic CD for PS Vita

51T81wVqC4L._SY355_.jpg

Following the full disassembly of Sonic CD from the amazing work of Rubberduckycooly, I am releasing a port of Sonic CD running natively on PS Vita.

The porting is pixel-perfect and it basically runs on an internal resolution of 480x240 upscaled by 2x. This is an unofficial port, meaning that I forked the original source code and modified it to make it running on PS Vita. I am already in contact with the original author to integrate my changes on his repo.

Please follow the instructions on the release page to make it work. The VPK itself does not contain any copyrighted assets. It's not 100% perfect but it's fluid enough to be fully playable.

:download: DOWNLOAD VPK

Xeeynamo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I ported Sonic 1 and 2 on PS Vita as well. You can find it here. The format is very similar to this release. I am aware that there might be occasional random crashes, but I still could not figure out why. I have two theories:

1) The original code itself have a minor bug or memory leak.
2) The optimization flag -O3 to compile on PS Vita is too aggressive and make false assumptions when compiling.

Alexrarr

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is fantastic! For a long time now I've been searching for the perfect Sonic handheld, and with these ports you're making my dream come true. Dug out my Vita for the first time in years, spent the entire evening hacking it and installing these three games. If we can get Sonic 3 AIR on there too and polish them all up a bit then I can ask no more.

Currently 1 & 2 are a bit stuttery and loading between levels takes a few seconds, but I'm very impressed with how well they run considering they were ported in a day. CD is smoother during gameplay but the intro cutscene is slow and doesn't play music for me. Very exciting to see so many modders jumping on these decompilations and will be following closely.

Reactions: nowhereman87

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Anybody else having trouble with the main menu? I can't scroll it using buttons or the touch screen, and it seems sensible to movement too?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was actually getting the touchpad movement. I'll just the data file from the steam release.

Last edited by horokeusama,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
this is good, but it botheres me that there is a black bar on the bottom of the screen only.it feels like picture is cropped, which is not really.

I would like it more if there are two black bars at the bottom and top of the screen instead. Cen this be fixed of can i fix it?
Thats the only complaint i have about this. Other than that its perfect. This will be the first time i will play sonic CD.

Last edited by MetoMeto,
Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is good, but it botheres me that there is a black bar on the bottom of the screen only.it feels like picture is cropped, which is not really.

I would like it more if there are two black bars at the bottom and top of the screen instead. Cen this be fixed of can i fix it?
Thats the only complaint i have about this. Other than that its perfect. This will be the first time i will play sonic CD.
same here it kinda ruins the fun for me ......hopefully a update will fix that ...

Reactions: MetoMeto

dragonz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Following the full disassembly of Sonic CD from the amazing work of Rubberduckycooly, I am releasing a port of Sonic CD running natively on PS Vita.

The porting is pixel-perfect and it basically runs on an internal resolution of 480x240 upscaled by 2x. This is an unofficial port, meaning that I forked the original source code and modified it to make it running on PS Vita. I am already in contact with the original author to integrate my changes on his repo.

Please follow the instructions on the release page to make it work. The VPK itself does not contain any copyrighted assets. It's not 100% perfect but it's fluid enough to be fully playable.

:download: DOWNLOAD VPK

Incredible,

Are there any other sega cd games or any other ports in a near future you are considering?

FM_JN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've beaten the game with both Sonic and Tails. Unfortunatelly those save profiles won't let me select levels and I'm always pushed to Metallic Madness act 3. Anyone having the same issue? Thanks.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've beaten the game with both Sonic and Tails. Unfortunatelly those save profiles won't let me select levels and I'm always pushed to Metallic Madness act 3. Anyone having the same issue? Thanks.
I beat this game on Android a few years ago and if I recall correctly, that's normal.

Reactions: FM_JN

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
gba and dc are completely different versions. i dot'n need to try i have it, i'm just saying it would be nice to port it to vita, since there is android version it would be nice.

Isn't the Android version just a port of the GBA version but with online playing? Granted that alone makes it great.

And you can still play the Dreamcast version online be on Dreamcast or emulation.

Last edited by raxadian,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
I became aware of the other port just a couple of hours before this post, but I decided to continue to push mine forward. I contacted SonicMastr, the author of the other port, to merge both of our code bases to the original repository. I believe that with both mine and his codebase we can reach the best version!

Any updates on optimizations of your ports please? Also AIR has gone open source:

https://github.com/Eukaryot/sonic3air

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt