1. TurdPooCharger

United States
    GBAtemp is not the place to really air out of grievances * for other online forums and mediums... However, I hate to admit this, but I can confirm @alivebacon's experience. Here's their page discord invite.
    I signed on to lurk the channel, didn't interact with anyone (just lurking around), typed in the keywords 'alivebacon' and 'ban' in the search bar, and then got instantly banned within the minute.

You guys might want to get in contact with a higher-up and tell them their discord is whack or has a rouge mod banning people without reasonable cause.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Feb 25, 2020
    alivebacon likes this.
  2. bgK

bgK Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    For context, this is the arguably aggressive behavior that got that person banned from the ScummVM Discord:
    <spudpiggy> yo
    <spudpiggy> why is there a 3ds version of scummvm?
    <rootfather> why not?
    <spudpiggy> Did the Wii version get updated?
    <spudpiggy> And why is the 3DS version still active?
    <spudpiggy> And can I play SockWorks on the go?
    <spudpiggy> let's try
    <Scorp> why you do not ask why there is still version for amigaos then?
    <spudpiggy> piss off
    <spudpiggy> well, ig some scumm games are on the amiga
    <spudpiggy> 0 are on the 3ds
    <rootfather> goodbye.

AHB likes this.
  3. Graxer

Graxer Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Well, whether a ban was called for or not, it looks like spudpiggy was wanting to pick a fight there. I used to hang around on the ScummVM forums a lot and they have always been clear that they don't accept demands.

The project is voluntary and for a new platform/game to be supported requires for someone to come along and offer to put thousands of hours of unpaid work into it on their own accord, driven by the desire to see their favourite homebrew platform supported. The reason that the Wii version isn't supported anymore is because the volunteer(s) that worked on it before have moved on to other projects or don't wish to continue to spend their time working on it. Conversely the person/people who work on the 3DS port still actively have a passion for seeing the platform support continue and are willing to put the unpaid hours into it. ScummVM isn't a fixed group of people who work on porting to as many platforms as they can and then randomly drop platforms on a whim. People join the community, offer to port to a new console, and then leave again eventually. As a result consoles eventually stop getting the latest updates. The buildbot, in some cases, can keep updates coming, but eventually things break and the porters have gone so there is noone to fix the bugs.

With the Wii version demanding continued support is completely unproductive. The people who volunteered their time in the first place are under no obligation to continue in any way and they absolutely should not continue unless they still care about the project. In addition it is even entirely possible that the person who worked on the Wii port has no connection with ScummVM these days anyway and they have no way of contacting them.

Last edited by Graxer, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Tebra

Tebra Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    Hi all,
    I have a request (like on the Switch port):
    DPad -> Keypad "Cursor" Keys
    R + DPad -> Diagonal Keypad "Cursor" Keys

Will be very useful for games like Might & Magic Xeen, Eye of the Beholder and character motion in Sierra games

5. bgK

bgK Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    The development builds of ScummVM now take advantage of the 800x240px resolution for the top screen. This is only active while in-game, the ScummVM GUI is still using the 400x240px resolution.

https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

stranno, python_gba, Larsenic and 3 others like this.
  6. MarioKartFan

MarioKartFan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    Wow @bgK! This . . . is insanely impressive. The difference is much greater than I thought it would have been. It would be a wonder to see other homebrew implement this.

7. Tebra

Tebra Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    I installed last .3dsx scummvm 2.2.0 on my 3ds but it crashes at boot with Ultima 6.
    Infocom games boot but the text isn’t readable.

Shadow#1 likes this.
  8. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Regular

Super Mario 64 (both Gericom and Mkst builds) and the gallery app are the only homebrew I know with 800px support.

BTW: The 800x240 mode was added back in July, so regular release does it too.

Last edited by stranno, Sep 28, 2020
  9. MarioKartFan

Algeria
    RocketRobz has added it to his 3DS homebrew as well.

10. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Maniac

Can this 800px mod be added to standard 3DS games?

11. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Regular

It should be available on every model except O2DS, for obvious reasons.

12. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Maniac

Reasons like what? That 02DS is powered by a starter crank?

It would be very interesting seeing 800px mode patched into the library because SM64 looks way crisper on the n3DS than it ever did on the N64. How come this mode hasn't had much hype beforehand as it seems to be an old invention thats only recently been dusted off.

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Indeed the O2DS is powered by a starter crank, and this crank is a monolithic crank that provides only up to 400px.

14. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Regular

^ It is the only model with 400x240 screen.

15. MarioKartFan

Algeria
    @bgK With the recent merge, are Grim Fandango and EFMI playable on the 3DS now? Thanks!

16. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    No, it is not yet possible to run either grim or emi. Those still need a GL implementation or wrapper.

With residualvm merged into scummvm, either the current 3ds backend needs to be adapted to support TinyGL or maybe even better add an additional hardware renderer using PicaGL.

I do have an older build of residualvm for 3ds based on SDL using TinyGL (software). While it plays the EMI intro, it's more of a POC.
    The recent merge makes my build obsolete, so it's back to the drawing board for me. But hey, that's a good thing!

Great to see these projects merged.

17. MarioKartFan

Algeria
    @MrHuu Thanks. For us mere mortals can you size up how much work that would entail? I recall you or someone here added VitaGL to Retroarch a few months ago ... at least on a proof of concept basis.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [Release], ScummVM,