[Release] ScummVM 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheCruel, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Anyone tried Personal Nightmare on here?

2. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Could ScummVM run Blade Runner?

lincruste likes this.
  3. Nitrus

Nitrus Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2018
    United States
    This release has the AGOS engines and should support PN: https://github.com/Nitrus/scummvm/releases/tag/3DS/0.3.5
    I haven't tried it personally.

Blade runner's a Work In Progress engine in ScummVM and marked as UNSTABLE, i.e. not officially supported, therefore I did not include it in my builds.
    Having said that, it is possible to compile with support for it, and I updated the official ScummVM README with instructions:
    https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/backends/platform/3ds
    Being an FMV game, I am not sure how well this will handle it.

@MrHuu has started a thread here, and his method stores the data and assets in ROMFS, which might be better for intensive games like that:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/unofficial-3ds-scummvm-builds.540831/

4. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    I'll wait for official support I guess. What a day that will be, Blade Runner on a handheld, damn. They should remaster that for Switch. Incredible game.

5. Nitrus

Nitrus Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2018
    United States
    Eh, if they don't, ScummVM is on Switch too :)

6. Deleted-481927
    This message by Deleted-481927 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 30, 2019, Reason: Offtopic.
    Jun 29, 2019
  7. bgK

bgK Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2019
    United States
    ScummVM now has official 3DS daily builds on its buildbot page: buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

We'd be interested to hear of the bugs you encounter with this version so they can hopefuly be fixed in the final release build.

TVL, Nitrus, ber71 and 4 others like this.
  8. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    Great work @bgK !! love the cloud saving feature!

Havn't tested the build yet, but COMI still suffers from slowdowns last time i tried.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-scummvm-3ds.422051/page-18#post-6295193

9. bgK

bgK Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2019
    United States
    There are a few IO performance issues I've identified. Two in ScummVM and one in newlib .. all touch low level file access routines and will require some more testing. Not sure the fixes will make it into the 2.1.1 stable release of ScummVM. This is a test build with the fixes, if you want to try it: ufile.io/nkpzj2nv.

MrHuu likes this.
  10. MrHuu

MrHuu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    I just tried playing the same scene in COMI, great improvement!
    Runs just about perfect now.

Don't have any other games available to test right now, but i'm pretty sure others will benefit aswell.

It's just.. after all these years playing on a off-center top screen, staring at Guybrush just standing there..

Thanks for giving the 3DS port some much needed love.

@AHB Magnify mode works like a charm, great feature! Thanks for implementing it.

Nitrus likes this.
  11. thedecypher

thedecypher Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I couldn't get official 3DS build to work even though old version (The Cruel's v0.3) launches just fine. I tried both stable and latest dev builds (.cia), they both give "An exception occurred" error.

Exception type: data abort
    Fault status: Translation - Section

Any idea how to fix this? I have latest Luma installed.

Last edited by thedecypher, Nov 12, 2019
  12. bgK

bgK Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2019
    United States
    Are you using an Old 3DS? If so, the program might not fit in memory. The release build will have split packages for smaller binaries. That's too complicated to set-up for the daily builds.
    Ideally ScummVM could dynamically load the game engines as needed to overcome this problem, but that's not supported by the homebrew development tools (libctru issue #391 on GitHub).

13. thedecypher

thedecypher Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I'm using 3DS XL but never had any problems with any games I installed before (or with the previous ScummVM), that's why I was surprised to receive this error. I didn't know there is a memory difference between 3ds xl and new 3ds.

14. Guci3

Guci3 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2019
    United States
    I have no sound in sam and max

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted